Kahr Shop   Tommy Gun   CrossBreed Holsters   Crimsontrace
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Do you leave powder in the hopper?

Upstate NY - (nothing like NYC). In remote country with thousands of acres of hunting.

Default Do you leave powder in the hopper?

Just curious.....do you leave powder in your hopper? I was told by old time reloaders that leaving powder in the hopper would not cause any problems. I always leave powder in the hopper at 3/4 to full level, but noticed that the hopper was developing a bulge and what appeared to be plastic breaking down. I have started to empty it now. I don't know if it would eventually damage the hopper, but why take the chance. I have a dehumidifier in my reloading area, so I am not that concerned about moisture issues. But I am concerned about the reloader. Any thoughts on this?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    My Sword - PM4044N/CTL/Talons
    - "One should diligently train at all times." Miyamoto Musashi
    - "Train in technique until it requires no thought - no mind and just happens." Takan Soho
    - "The truth beyond the technique....Here's where we stop thinking and start shooting." Brian Enos
    - "A single sword against the cold sky." Yamaoka Tesshu
    - "You must concentrate upon and consecrate yourself wholly to each day, as though a fire were raging in your hair."
    Taisen Deshimaru
    - "Know your sword!"

No I don't, I read more than once that what happened to you, is what will happen...
    Why I do believe it is even in the instructions...
    A couple Colts, a couple Brownings, a Makarov, a Sig, a couple Rugers, a couple Kahrs, a couple Smith & Wessons, a Walther, and a couple Berettas .....Oh, and some long guns...

Upstate NY - (nothing like NYC). In remote country with thousands of acres of hunting.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob T View Post
    No I don't, I read more than once that what happened to you, is what will happen...
    Why I do believe it is even in the instructions...
    Didn't catch that. At least no serious damage was done. Minor cosmetic change. But powder goes back in the original container now. Thanks.
    My Sword - PM4044N/CTL/Talons
    - "One should diligently train at all times." Miyamoto Musashi
    - "Train in technique until it requires no thought - no mind and just happens." Takan Soho
    - "The truth beyond the technique....Here's where we stop thinking and start shooting." Brian Enos
    - "A single sword against the cold sky." Yamaoka Tesshu
    - "You must concentrate upon and consecrate yourself wholly to each day, as though a fire were raging in your hair."
    Taisen Deshimaru
    - "Know your sword!"

Until the last couple years I always emptied the hopper. Mostly because I didn't want to forget what powder was in there as I loaded for several calibers. I'd leave all the powder put away except the one I was using so it really didn't matter. Now on my progressive I pretty much only load 45 so I been leaving it in the hopper.
    I plan to go back to emptying it after reading this. I don't see any signs of what you show and I have a Hornady too.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

No powder left in the hopper! No poop left in the other hopper, neither. Same thing, empty the hopper or you get that stain....:001_tt2:
    My New Web Store!
    www.teampython.com
    __________________________________________________ _____
    The loudest sound in the world is a “click” when you need a “bang.”

In pondering this I suspect that the brand and type of powder probably make a big difference. Some are probably more acidic or prone to cause damage.
    I see no sign of that swelling or discoloration on my measure at all.
    My house is tore up but soon as I can get to my man cave again I'm gonna empty it anyhow. Go back to my diligent ways and put aside this laziness and carelessness. Well at least the laziness, I still don't really care anymore.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

Thanks for the pic Gary B, because till I seen it I thought this issue was just internet BS.

That said... I have been, and have no plan to stop, leaving powder in my Lyman powder measure since I started using it like 25+ years ago.
    It still looks like it did when it was new, no stains, no bulges. I almost always have Bullseye in it as that is what I load in most all my pistol loads. I just put a masking tape label on the lid with the type of powder in it. Maybe they used better plastic back then?

Quote Originally Posted by BEARDOG View Post
    Thanks for the pic Gary B, because till I seen it I thought this issue was just internet BS.

That said... I have been, and have no plan to stop, leaving powder in my Lyman powder measure since I started using it like 25+ years ago.
    It still looks like it did when it was new, no stains, no bulges. I almost always have Bullseye in it as that is what I load in most all my pistol loads. I just put a masking tape label on the lid with the type of powder in it. Maybe they used better plastic back then?
    I wonder if the type of plastic has changed over the years. Your older powder measure may have been made with plastics that were tougher, compared to those made now, out of more environmentally friendly stuff. My Redding powder measure is brand new, and clearly states in the instructions not to leave powder in it.
    A couple Colts, a couple Brownings, a Makarov, a Sig, a couple Rugers, a couple Kahrs, a couple Smith & Wessons, a Walther, and a couple Berettas .....Oh, and some long guns...

I have several Dillon quick change heads with their own powder measure and after I contacted Dillon to replace one of the plastic housings because of yellowing and cracks, they told me Not to leave powder in them unless you are reloading because the powder will make it happen again if it is left for extended periods.
    " In God We Trust" I love my Country its the Government that I fear.
    Gun control isn't about guns, Its about Control.:32:

Leaving the powder in the measure will also give it a better chance to collect moisture.
    "Do as I say not as I do"
    "You can't fix stupid"
    "Do what you want, 'cause you will any way"

Stay Safe