CrossBreed Holsters   Tommy Gun Shop   Mitch Rosen   Xssights
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Anyone pepper sprayed a dog?

The trashy neighbors' pit bulls were loose, wandering around the neighborhood tonight. I was sitting on the front porch at the time. They came up next to our carport, and our 3 year old opened the door, and our toy poodle launched himself out. I yelled at her to get inside, then and I went in to get the spray bottle of alcohol.

Our dog never listens when he's outside, so I squirted alcohol on pit bull 1's face, to no effect. The spray is a bit lame, short range only. Pit bull 2 was sniffing our dog's butt, no critical situation. But I got the Kimber Pepper Blaster out of my car. They never got aggressive or in an attack mode, just two stupid dogs with zero discipline, but I couldn't predict that at the time. Not a gun situation, I like animals too much unless they're actually preying on a loved one.

Then two pedestrians walked by, and the dogs decided they'd be interesting to follow, so it was over for me.

Next time I'm inclined to just pepper spray their asses.
    Man of steel - Kahr T9, CZ75

All of the meter readers from Cleveland Electric Illuminating Co. carried pepper spray and it worked to good effect. You do have to be aware of the wind direction.
    Never trust anyone who doesn't trust you to own a gun.

Life Member - NRA
    Colt Gold Cup 70 series
    Colt Woodsman
    Ruger Mark III .22-45
    Kahr CM9
    Kahr P380

My mom delivered mail for like 36 years. They carried pepper spray but she found doggie treats were far more effective. I notice our UPS driver uses the same tactic. Downfall is they end up like the 47%ers and come running when they see the big green truck, knowing they get dog biscuits. So far no free phones.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

Yeah, I don't want them coming back for more.
    Man of steel - Kahr T9, CZ75

A few years ago, to make ends meet in tough times, my son took a job form a tow company. He would go to apartment and condo complexes, on behalf of the complex management and ID, photograph and tag for tow vehicles that were out of compliance. For best effect, he did this at night, often drawing an irate comment from the vehicle owners. His only available defenses where his wits and an old Kimber pepperblaster (the one that looks like a cell phone). While he never wound up with any two legged trouble he could not handle, the old pepperblaster did get used on a four legged trouble maker one night.
    So it was well past midnight in a large complex surrounded by a fancy golf course. The complex had seen better days and the clientele renting there where... lets just say not the "country club set" that might have been there years before. My son had been busy tagging cars with expired tags and inspections when got to the far end of the complex. It was now close to two am and my son found he had to take a leak. He picked a spot behind the dumpster enclosure bordering the fifth fairway and let fly. As he finished there was a bang, then a hell of a crash in the dumpster area beside him. Figuring some smart ass was messing with him, my son moved quickly out to his left and lit the area up with his tactical flashlight. A quick, somewhat panicked scan of the area reviled it was an animal my son would say it was the biggest dang raccoon that he has ever seen in his life (he described it to me at breakfast that day as "Australian shepherd size" which would be a big-un indeed). Relived it was nothing nefarious stalking him, he hollered at the beast to "shoo away". Instead the critter charged my boy. Lit up by the flashlight and with my son hollering at it to go, the big **** kept coming. At about eight feet, it raised up and hissed. Big mistake for Grandpacoon*, with the Kimber out and already pointed my son gave the lil bastard both barrels. My son was not exactly sure which hit happened in what order but one side of the pepperblaster caught the old raccoon in the chest and one hit was square in the face.

My son would describe what happened next with the joke, "you know, I never would have thought that Kimber would make such a good raccoon rocket fuel..." My son still laughs at just how fast that big bastard was moving that morning.

Pepperblaster spray really works, you have to aim well, but this one worked great, even though the label said it was three months past its expiration date (I did not know that till after). All the ladies in my life tote the Kimber Pepperblaster 2. Not a .45 but way better than a girly slap.

Next time you need it, use it!
    I was once asked if I was "a paranoid for carrying my Kahr".
    "Nope" I said, "just prepared".
    " prepared for what" he asked?
    "more stuff than you are"
    God Bless our Troups!

Yes. I used 5.3 by Fox labs. Fido was not interested in me any longer

When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. --H.G. Wells

I have seen just as many gassings of dogs succeed as fail. Generally ANY compressed liquid spray could be effective. Animals are generally not as susceptible to OC as human. Primarily they do not like the instantaneous cold blast. Decades ago when you could buy canned Freon I know utility company folks used it to universal success.
    Wake Up...Grow Up...Show Up...Sit Up...Shut Up...Listen Up

Quote Originally Posted by Longitude Zero View Post
    I have seen just as many gassings of dogs succeed as fail. Generally ANY compressed liquid spray could be effective. Animals are generally not as susceptible to OC as human. Primarily they do not like the instantaneous cold blast. Decades ago when you could buy canned Freon I know utility company folks used it to universal success.
    Interesting. The National Institute For Justice study of effectiveness of defensive sprays found OC 100% effective on animals. Perhaps your referring to CNS sprays? They fair poorly on animals

https://www.ncjrs.gov/pdffiles/162358.pdf

When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. --H.G. Wells

mixed results on 2 and 4 legged animals.
    I am the Living Man

FREEZE + P is as good as it gets. Works great on convicts and dogs alike.