Kahr Shop   CrossBreed Holsters   Tommy Gun   Xssights
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Anyone pepper sprayed a dog?

I picked up a couple of keychain-size sprays today. A Ruger with a belt clip and key ring, and Sabre Red Spitfire. I hate large objects like this in my pants pocket, not sure if I'll want to keep them there or not. I'll keep at least one in my briefcase. The Kimber blaster is for the car, a "go away" pest control device.
    Man of steel - Kahr T9, CZ75

Upstate NY - (nothing like NYC). In remote country with thousands of acres of hunting.

Twice, my wife and I were out walking and were attacked by dogs. I scored a direct hits in the nose and mouth on both of them and it was game over. They both rolled in the ditch and ran away.
    My Sword - PM4044N/CTL/Talons
    - "One should diligently train at all times." Miyamoto Musashi
    - "Train in technique until it requires no thought - no mind and just happens." Takan Soho
    - "The truth beyond the technique....Here's where we stop thinking and start shooting." Brian Enos
    - "A single sword against the cold sky." Yamaoka Tesshu
    - "You must concentrate upon and consecrate yourself wholly to each day, as though a fire were raging in your hair."
    Taisen Deshimaru
    - "Know your sword!"

Quote Originally Posted by happypuppy View Post
    Interesting. The National Institute For Justice study of effectiveness of defensive sprays found OC 100% effective on animals. Perhaps your referring to CNS sprays? They fair poorly on animals

https://www.ncjrs.gov/pdffiles/162358.pdf

When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. --H.G. Wells
    OC fails in over 50% of it encounters when used on humans. The National Institute for Justice is a well known lick boot that goes whatever way the money goes. They also have studies showing the TASER as not particularily effective. LEO trainers and civilians also know to ignore them 99% of the time.
    Wake Up...Grow Up...Show Up...Sit Up...Shut Up...Listen Up

Quote Originally Posted by Longitude Zero View Post
    OC fails in over 50% of it encounters when used on humans. The National Institute for Justice is a well known lick boot that goes whatever way the money goes. They also have studies showing the TASER as not particularily effective. LEO trainers and civilians also know to ignore them 99% of the time.
    I would love to see where you got this particular statistic. From my personal experience I can say that at best OC is not effective on 2% of humans. I've gone through training numerous times with anywhere from 20 personnel to 200 personnel. With larger groups we always had one, maybe two folks that weren't affected.

I was affected each and every time, however. Nice to know I'm not a mutant I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by AJBert View Post
    I would love to see where you got this particular statistic. From my personal experience I can say that at best OC is not effective on 2% of humans. I've gone through training numerous times with anywhere from 20 personnel to 200 personnel. With larger groups we always had one, maybe two folks that weren't affected.

I was affected each and every time, however. Nice to know I'm not a mutant I guess.
    A failure is every instance where the subject was able to continue their previous activity at a level of at least 50%. Meaning if they did anything other than a complete and total cessation of resistance ie. just stopped struggling 100%. If they could continue struggling and fight it is a failure in the minds of the manufacturers and officers. I have NEVER seen anybody sprayed that just quit and gave up any and all resistance, never even once. Personal observation and facts from CapStun and other major manufacturers. Some formulations work well. Many depts. switched in my area to a cheaper brand. The current supplier advises that from delivery to effect is from 3-7 seconds. It effects my breathing but VERY LITTLE tearing and eye irritation with the current formulation. Alcohol based OC is VASTLY better than the water based being promulgated currently. Aalcohol based is rare to find currently due to its claimed flammability problems.
    Wake Up...Grow Up...Show Up...Sit Up...Shut Up...Listen Up

Quote Originally Posted by Longitude Zero View Post
    A failure is every instance where the subject was able to continue their previous activity at a level of at least 50%. Meaning if they did anything other than a complete and total cessation of resistance ie. just stopped struggling 100%. If they could continue struggling and fight it is a failure in the minds of the manufacturers and officers. I have NEVER seen anybody sprayed that just quit and gave up any and all resistance, never even once. Personal observation and facts from CapStun and other major manufacturers. Some formulations work well. Many depts. switched in my area to a cheaper brand. The current supplier advises that from delivery to effect is from 3-7 seconds. It effects my breathing but VERY LITTLE tearing and eye irritation with the current formulation. Alcohol based OC is VASTLY better than the water based being promulgated currently. Aalcohol based is rare to find currently due to its claimed flammability problems.
    With that being said, I'd say effectiveness is much less than 50%. As I'm sure you know, in order for anyone in the military or law enforcement to pass they MUST continue on through various exercises after being sprayed. Also, the more one is sprayed the less affect it has on them mentally as they already know they can continue to function.

To those who have never been sprayed through training the first reaction is to curl up in the fetal position and pray someone would put a bullet in the back of their skull.

I've only been sprayed in the military and not really sure if water or alcohol based. I do know it feels like you've just been hit in the face with a flame thrower and your skin is peeling off your skull.

Quote Originally Posted by AJBert View Post

I've only been sprayed in the military and not really sure if water or alcohol based. I do know it feels like you've just been hit in the face with a flame thrower and your skin is peeling off your skull.
    cool!
    ​O|||||||O

All our officers are required to be sprayed and tazed if they carry. I went through it once and definitely know what it feels like. I also accidently sprayed myself with my mom's dog spray. It felt about the same.

During the officer thing we got sprayed, had to fight a guy in the red man suit, fire a pistol from a simunition gun, then unlock a patrol car door and get in.

Getting in the car was the hardest part for me.

Then spent about an hour with my head in a wash tub and a fan blowing in my face.

I'd rather be tazed, the hurt doesn't last near as long.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

keep in mind that the strength varies a lot. Some departments train with weaker formulas than they carry

The responses to it are physiological. Unless you have some alien physiology it will work. Just depends on concentration and how well you are sprayed.

Citizens have a different need ; To escape and evade. There is no need to engage and control.

The biggest problem with defensive sprays its so easy to contaminate yourself while controlling

Animals have very sensitive nasal systems and it's one of the reasons why bear spray is a lesser concentration
    Dogs are hard to hit however

When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. --H.G. Wells

I walk a lot, and often encounter less than friendly dogs. I have found that a water pistol filled with house hold ammonia is quite effective against the average neighborhood canine.