Magnum Research new   Tommy Gun   Tommy Gun Shop   Kahr Shop

Thread: CW 45 with ammo problem

Default CW 45 with ammo problem

I bought both a CW45 and a P-45 recently. Both were used but in great shape. I actually let my dad use the CW45 as he was looking for something thin to carry. When I had it, I cleaned, lubed and checked for function. I loaded the magazine with some Black Talons and chambered a round. When I went to rack the slide and eject the shell, the slide would not budge. I finally had to hold the slide and hit the palm swell pretty good to release the slide and eject the shell (even thought it stove piped coming out. I figured it didn't like the ammo and went on. When I lent it to my dad, he loaded the magazine with some new Golden Sabre's and the same thing happened. It does not do this with hardball. Is there a problem with the gun, the ammo or both? As far as my P45, it works great.

Did the Talons and Golden Sabers chamber easily and fully? My CW45 handles Golden Sabers fine. I had lead round nose reloads which would not fully chamber in my CW but would in all my other 45's. I expect their Kahr's chambers may run a little tight. Hope this helps, I am not a gun smith. My CW 45 is 100% with hardball but had to try several brands of defensive ammo to find on that was 100% in fte function. Were the functioning hardball rounds made by Winchester/ Remington or another manufacturer. If so, see if can find defensive ammo by mfg of same brand of the hardball rounds. I know this is not a smithing answer, but sometimes trial and error works. Do you know if the CW had been fired the recommended 200 times yet?

Not sure if it has been thru the recommended 200 or not. The gun appears in great shape. The rounds did fully chamber as far as I know. I know I chambered the same ammo in my P45 and it all cycled fine.

Some one knowledgeable should be by shortly to help.

Quote Originally Posted by Harley820 View Post
    I bought both a CW45 and a P-45 recently. Both were used but in great shape. I actually let my dad use the CW45 as he was looking for something thin to carry. When I had it, I cleaned, lubed and checked for function. I loaded the magazine with some Black Talons and chambered a round. When I went to rack the slide and eject the shell, the slide would not budge. I finally had to hold the slide and hit the palm swell pretty good to release the slide and eject the shell (even thought it stove piped coming out. I figured it didn't like the ammo and went on. When I lent it to my dad, he loaded the magazine with some new Golden Sabre's and the same thing happened. It does not do this with hardball. Is there a problem with the gun, the ammo or both? As far as my P45, it works great.
    I'm guessing that the Talon and Golden Sabre bullets are engaging the rifling in your CW45 once the slide is into battery. This can make an unfired round difficult to eject.
    Probable causes? One or a combination of the following:
    1.The round's overall length
    2.The bullet's shape
    3.The amount of free bore/leade cut into the barrel

Here's a drawing to illustrate:

The top barrel has a short amount of free bore/leade in front of the chamber. I think it's pretty easy to see how some rounds might have a length or bullet that could contact the barrel's rifling when chambered.

As a quick test, remove the barrel and lightly drop a round into the chamber. The round should seat with the back of the case flush with or very slightly below the rear of the barrel hood as shown in the center two examples in the photo below (the photo illustrates correct head spacing, but applies here as well in regards to what you are looking for):

(image originally posted by BDS-THR on TFL http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=495250)

My guess is that your ammo will be slightly protruding (as in the far right above). However, you will be able to seat it flush by applying a little pressure to the round.
    If this is the case, I think you have about three options:
    1. switch to an ammo that seats flush when you drop it into the chamber and operates correctly in your pistol.
    2. Return it to Kahr for repair.
    3. Have a local gunsmith ream the barrel to increase the "free bore".

My CW45 had this issue with Hornady 230gr. XTP. It happened with less frequency and became easier to clear as I put more rounds through the pistol, but I eventually bought a reamer and cut more free bore/leade into the barrel. Issue fixed.

Regards,
    Greg
    [<a href=http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif target=_blank>http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif</a>

Thanks for the info Greg. I will check this week and let you know what I found out.