Mitch Rosen   Xssights   CrossBreed Holsters   Magnum Research new
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Morning hiking/ shooting in the high desert (Short VID at end)

gun papa,
    You sure have a keeper in that gal
    Thanks for sharing the excellent photos and video

Did you have to put a bullet guide in that Saiga to use the Galil magazines?
    Any chance we can see the buffer you created?

Regards,
    Greg
    I
    [<a href=http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif target=_blank>http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif</a>

You have a beautiful wife that loves to shoot? You are a very lucky man. Thanks for the pics.
    "Never pet a burning dog"

Quote Originally Posted by gb6491 View Post
    gun papa,
    You sure have a keeper in that gal
    Thanks for sharing the excellent photos and video

Did you have to put a bullet guide in that Saiga to use the Galil magazines?
    Any chance we can see the buffer you created?

Regards,
    Greg
    I
    I will provide rifle/buffer details after work.

You guys look like you are having a blast.

Quote Originally Posted by gun papa View Post
    Yes, it is a TRS-25 by Bushnell. I have a few of them laying about. I have found them to be decent little red dots. i just learned that a company is offering QD lever mounts for them. I think I will give them a tumble.
    https://www.armsunlimited.com/QD-Lev...p/lmc-btrs.htm
    That looks pretty slick. I'll have to save that link for future reference.
    The only thing better than having all the guns and ammo you'd ever need would be being able to shoot it all off the back porch.

Want to see what will be the end of our country as we know it???
    Visit here:
    http://www.usdebtclock.org/

Okay, the buffer.

With AK's 99% of the casings are steel, so no bother in what happens to the casing upon ejection. Fact is, as the casing is extracted and the head of the case hits the ejector, the casing is spun to the right, the casing hits the dust cover. with brass cases like in the 5.56 X 45, this dust cover strike puts a healthy crease in the case. Unsightly at best, unloadable at worst.

I like to shoot my 5.56 X 45mm AK's and jacked up brass is a bummer.

Taking a spare AK74 dust cover, I created an ejection buffer that eliminates the ejection crease completely. I can pop this cover on for practice or leave it on just in general as it does not impede the function of the gun in anyway. It actually assists positive ejection by about 5 yards.

All for just a few pennies at the local hardware store. Just paint top cover to match. Pictures are self explanatory.

Quote Originally Posted by gun papa View Post
    Okay, the buffer.

With AK's 99% of the casings are steel, so no bother in what happens to the casing upon ejection. Fact is, as the casing is extracted and the head of the case hits the ejector, the casing is spun to the right, the casing hits the dust cover. with brass cases like in the 5.56 X 45, this dust cover strike puts a healthy crease in the case. Unsightly at best, unloadable at worst.

I like to shoot my 5.56 X 45mm AK's and jacked up brass is a bummer.

Taking a spare AK74 dust cover, I created an ejection buffer that eliminates the ejection crease completely. I can pop this cover on for practice or leave it on just in general as it does not impede the function of the gun in anyway. It actually assists positive ejection by about 5 yards.

All for just a few pennies at the local hardware store. Just paint top cover to match. Pictures are self explanatory......

gun papa,
    First off, I very much appreciate the time and effort involved in putting that reply together.

That's a very clever and well executed solution to the problem you were having.
    It was also totally unexpected .. as I was thinking you had made some sort of buffer for the bolt out of brass

The conversion looks super. Is that the old trigger guard reversed or a replacement?
    I've thought about converting my .308, but can't quite pull the trigger on doing it as I'm pretty happy with it in stock form.

Regards,
    Greg
    [<a href=http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif target=_blank>http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif</a>

Quote Originally Posted by gb6491 View Post
    gun papa,
    First off, I very much appreciate the time and effort involved in putting that reply together.

That's a very clever and well executed solution to the problem you were having.
    It was also totally unexpected .. as I was thinking you had made some sort of buffer for the bolt out of brass

The conversion looks super. Is that the old trigger guard reversed or a replacement?
    I've thought about converting my .308, but can't quite pull the trigger on doing it as I'm pretty happy with it in stock form.

Regards,
    Greg

My Saiga .223 has an original AK triggerguard that was cut and welded to the existing Saiga magazine release.

I would keep your .308 as is. The Saiga's handle really well, even for as ugly as they are. I converted my Saiga 12, but it handled well as it was.