Mitch Rosen   Kahr Shop   Tommy Gun   Crimsontrace
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: P380 issue with last round lock back

Default P380 issue with last round lock back

I bought this little guy used and have probably put about 1500-2000 rounds through it with zero issues (other than I'm not a great shooter.) Today, at the range, it failed to lock back on the last round in the mag several times. I plan to just clean everything thoroughly try again, making sure I keep a good tight grip and stiff wrist. But, it WAS clean before I shot today so I'm just wondering if there's something common that would cause that to start happening after that much use. For example, is there anything in particular that might be wearing out to cause that?
    The prior owner had it serviced by Kahr once, but I've had no work done on it other than cleaning and lubing.

I had the same problem. Replaced slide stop spring and replaced slide stop, didn't work. Stretching mag springs is a temporary fix. I bought wolff mag springs that are a little bit stiffer which fixed it.

I think I would change the recoil springs, if u have 1500 rounds on the springs, the are in need of a change, IMO. that would be the first place to start, U bought it used so again u arent sure how many rounds went thru it beforeu got it and if i have 1500+ rounds flawlessly, then IMO u have one hgell of a gun there. The slide stop spring should ot wear but it can be dmaaged by mis-installation of the slide stop, othgerr than that, that spring will last forever. Start with recoil sprinbgs first then report back to the forum.I doubt if ur doin anything wrong with grip etc, as that many rounds, u have mastered that little bastarde pretty well I would think..
    . My PM9 has over 40,000+ rounds through it, and runs much better than an illegal trying to get across our border

NRA BENEFACTOR MEMBER

MAY GOD BLESS MUGGSY

Quote Originally Posted by jocko View Post
    I think I would change the recoil springs, if u have 1500 rounds on the springs, the are in need of a change, IMO. that would be the first place to start, U bought it used so again u arent sure how many rounds went thru it beforeu got it and if i have 1500+ rounds flawlessly, then IMO u have one hgell of a gun there. The slide stop spring should ot wear but it can be dmaaged by mis-installation of the slide stop, othgerr than that, that spring will last forever. Start with recoil sprinbgs first then report back to the forum.I doubt if ur doin anything wrong with grip etc, as that many rounds, u have mastered that little bastarde pretty well I would think..
    Thanks. That sounds right. Just ordered a set of recoil springs -the logical place to start if they need to be replaced anyway. If that doesn't work I'll get mag springs, but I had the problem with both mags, so that seems less likely unless they both started failing at the same time.
    UR right, it IS one helluva gun

Any recent change in ammo? If the ammo is on the weak side it may not lock back. If you limp wrist the gun the slide may not lock back. Have you checked for a broken magazine follower or cleaned the magazines lately? A follower that is hanging up will cause a failure of the slide to lock back. I doubt that a weak recoil spring is the cause of your problem, but at 1,500 rounds it wouldn't hurt to change it
    Never trust anyone who doesn't trust you to own a gun.

Life Member - NRA
    Colt Gold Cup 70 series
    Colt Woodsman
    Ruger Mark III .22-45
    Kahr CM9
    Kahr P380

Quote Originally Posted by muggsy View Post
    Any recent change in ammo? If the ammo is on the weak side it may not lock back. If you limp wrist the gun the slide may not lock back. Have you checked for a broken magazine follower or cleaned the magazines lately? A follower that is hanging up will cause a failure of the slide to lock back. I doubt that a weak recoil spring is the cause of your problem, but at 1,500 rounds it wouldn't hurt to change it
    I clean the mags and check the followers after every shoot. But now that you mention it, ammo is a possibility. Same range ammo I've been using -Aguila, but I happened to pick this box up from a different dealer and it did seem the gun was kicking a bit less, ...but that could be my imagination. I plan to shoot another box from my regular source before the new springs get here. I don't discount the limp wrist theory either. I experienced that at one time with my previous pocket pistol, and try to be aware, but I know flaws in shooting technique can recur.

I'll report back later.

WWB does that in mine. Try different ammo before anything else.

UPDATE - just back from the range. Its not the ammo. Either its me or its the gun. New recoil springs arrived. I'll install and try again in a few days.

Default P380 issue with last round lock back

Holy Sh..! Just broke open the pack with the new springs. The inner spring was so much longer than my old one I thought Kahr sent me the wrong springs till I counted the coils. Guess I was really overdue for new springs. And - what a b!... to install. I literally could not manage it until a search found this thread about using a bookshelf. Thank goodness for Kahrtalk archives.

http://www.kahrtalk.com/archive/index.php/t-5389.html

Definitely going to leave the P380 in lock back overnight.
    Last edited by SlowBurn; 07-28-2014 at 11:07 AM.

Try new mag springs if it continues - Wolff makes a 5% extra power that works good.