Mitch Rosen   CrossBreed Holsters   Tommy Gun Shop   Tommy Gun
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Why is being "made" assumed to be a bad thing?

Quote Originally Posted by spud View Post
    Do you know of any cases where a CCW holder was charged with brandishing for just having a gun print while carrying? I do agree that concealed means concealed and awareness of surroundings is key.
    In my home state (OK) there have been 2 instances that I know of where the state took civil action against a CCW holder for displaying his weapon w/o just cause. This was before we passed open carry and it was the primary reason why here in OK open carry was passed so that if a person carrying concealed inadvertently exposed their weapon.
    Wake Up...Grow Up...Show Up...Sit Up...Shut Up...Listen Up

keep em covered boyz
    I am the Living Man

Quote Originally Posted by DavidS View Post
    I think that reason is outside the scope of my question. Carrying where illegal would make me the BG. I don't do it and I expect most/all conscientious cc permit holders would not.
    Quote Originally Posted by RRP View Post
    David, I think you misunderstood CED's response.

In some locations, "being made" constitutes brandishing. CCW means concealed, and in some jurisdictions if the gun is visible, or prints through your clothing in a way which identifies it as a gun, you could be charged. This could lead to the loss of a concealed carry permit/license.

This is not a concern in locales which allow open carry. Knowing the rules where we carry is critical.
    RRP clarified what I intended to say. In many states, if you are carrying and someone spots it, they have the option to charge you with brandishing and/or revoke your permit even if you are carrying in a location where it is legal to carry. Now that does not mean that they will always chose to charge you but it is something to consider. Not all states have that restriction which is why it is important to know the rules of where you live and where you travel. This is why I will do IWB holsters. Makes it less likely to be spotted.

I usually front pocket carry, sometimes IWB carry. I live in a state where open carry is legal. Personally, even if I didn't live in an open carry state, I could care less if I print. Some of the pants that I wear, you can tell a bit more than others. In the 2+ yrs. I have been pocket carrying, I have noticed one person looking at my front pocket, and they just smiled and moved on. I find myself looking at front pockets and watching eyes when I'm out and about, and pretty much most of the population is so self involved with themselves or their electronic devices, that they don't notice $#it. Exactly what sheep do, they just mill about, not really paying attention. I don't worry about it.

Quote Originally Posted by ced_56 View Post
    RRP clarified what I intended to say. In many states, if you are carrying and someone spots it, they have the option to charge you with brandishing and/or revoke your permit even if you are carrying in a location where it is legal to carry. Now that does not mean that they will always chose to charge you but it is something to consider. Not all states have that restriction which is why it is important to know the rules of where you live and where you travel. This is why I will do IWB holsters. Makes it less likely to be spotted.
    I would think least likely to be "spotted", would be carrying in a waist pack or pouch or purse or etc. where it is totally enclosed and unidentifiable. Someone may "think" you have a weapon, but without seeing it or its outline it could not be called brandishing.
    "Typing the word "grandparents," I mistyped and the autocorrect changed it to CandyLand. Not entirely inaccurate." - Our daughter.

A Kahr, a Glock, a Ruger, two Brownings, two Remingtons, and a Crossman.

Quote Originally Posted by Longitude Zero View Post
    In my home state (OK) there have been 2 instances that I know of where the state took civil action against a CCW holder for displaying his weapon w/o just cause. This was before we passed open carry and it was the primary reason why here in OK open carry was passed so that if a person carrying concealed inadvertently exposed their weapon.
    Were those two incidents accidental or intentional displaying?
    "Typing the word "grandparents," I mistyped and the autocorrect changed it to CandyLand. Not entirely inaccurate." - Our daughter.

I think that reason is outside the scope of my question. Carrying where illegal would make me the BG. I don't do it and I expect most/all conscientious cc permit holders would not.
    I would think least likely to be "spotted", would be carrying in a waist pack or pouch or purse or etc. where it is totally enclosed and unidentifiable. Someone may "think" you have a weapon, but without seeing it or its outline it could not be called brandishing.
    True but being a 30yr old guy I'm not going to be carrying a purse and a waist pack (fanny pack) isn't really my style. Easiest and best for me personally is during cold weather cause that's when I wear oversized hoodies and put it in the hoodie pocket and you can't tell that there is anything there. But that is all about what works for each person and what they are comfortable with

Here, Colorado, and a in couple of destination states I commonly visit concealed carry means concealed carry although none freak out over minor, unintentional printing/exposure. Appropriate for dress and properly carried concealed firearms shouldn't be able to be spotted under normal circumstances. The inexperienced can still often be easily "made" through unconscious behavior.
    NRA Benefactor

Quote Originally Posted by ced_56 View Post
    True but being a 30yr old guy I'm not going to be carrying a purse and a waist pack (fanny pack) isn't really my style. Easiest and best for me personally is during cold weather cause that's when I wear oversized hoodies and put it in the hoodie pocket and you can't tell that there is anything there. But that is all about what works for each person and what they are comfortable with
    I wear tee/polo shirts year round with either cargo shorts or pants. Seldom need a jacket (I am "well insulated") so heavy clothing for cover really is not an option for me.
    Being in the over 60 group and secure in my masculinity what with being married for 40+years to the same woman , I have no problem with the fanny pack. I have some plaid shorts and some sandals, however I just cannot bring myself to wear the black dress socks. Usually it's white socks and sneakers.
    However, if it were 40 years ago and before I met my wife, I think the fanny pack would not be part of my wardrobe. Style is much more important when you are young. Of course, back then there was a lot more room in my pants for IWB or pocket carry, too.
    Agree, it is all about what works for each person and what they are comfortable with (at that time in their life).

Quote Originally Posted by ltxi View Post
    The inexperienced can still often be easily "made" through unconscious behavior.
    Everybody can be "made" at one time or another. If you know what to look for 90% of CCW can be easily spotted.

spotting-a-hidden-handgun.jpg
    Wake Up...Grow Up...Show Up...Sit Up...Shut Up...Listen Up