Tommy Gun   Magnum Research new   Tommy Gun Shop   Kahr Shop
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How to remove surface rust (?) on grip.

Question How to remove surface rust (?) on grip.

Hello guys!

I just impulse bought my first Kahr off gunbroker. Everything looks great except when I took off the grips, there was a bunch of gunk. I cleaned up what looked like carbon buildup, it was black and came right off with a wet rag. Some black specks were left over however. I hit the black specks with some mpro9 gun cleaner and it did not seem to do much. I took some pictures:

Pictures:
    http://imgur.com/a/hVSMp

How do you guys recommend I get rid of these spots?

Thank you in advance!

Spot remover? Seriously, try a little Hoppes on some 0000 steel wool. Rub gently.
    Never trust anyone who doesn't trust you to own a gun.

Life Member - NRA
    Colt Gold Cup 70 series
    Colt Woodsman
    Ruger Mark III .22-45
    Kahr CM9
    Kahr P380

If that doesn't work, I would use a Dremel, a felt tip, and some polishing rouge. Buff em off.........................

Try as best you can to limit your polishing to the area covered by the grips. Where you polish could easily develop a shine and will look different than the matte finish.
    "Typing the word "grandparents," I mistyped and the autocorrect changed it to CandyLand. Not entirely inaccurate." - Our daughter.

A Kahr, a Glock, a Ruger, two Brownings, two Remingtons, and a Crossman.

I cleaned up my frames with a low-abrasive cleaner called "Barkeepers Friend" using a green plastic scrubber. It took off the marks but did not change the finish. The product is made to clean stainless steel appliances without scratching or marking. I bought it at Bed Bath and Beyond...gotta do something when she drags me in there.
    ​O|||||||O

You might also try a "Magic Eraser" manufactured by "Mr. Clean". I've seen that little white sponge perform miracles.
    Never trust anyone who doesn't trust you to own a gun.

Life Member - NRA
    Colt Gold Cup 70 series
    Colt Woodsman
    Ruger Mark III .22-45
    Kahr CM9
    Kahr P380

nix the Dremel... I'd go for good ol' Soft Scrub and Elbow Grease

Caution: you might not get those out. If they're pits you'll have to have the frame re-beaded. Not a huge big deal, but ... ya know... sometimes the best way out. Any gunsmith with a compressor and glass bead machine should be able to do it for minimal labor, and even less if you do the stripping of the parts before hand. OTOH, Harbor Freight bead blaster (about $40) does the job if you have access to compressed air.

Quote Originally Posted by CJB View Post
    nix the Dremel... I'd go for good ol' Soft Scrub and Elbow Grease

Caution: you might not get those out. If they're pits you'll have to have the frame re-beaded. Not a huge big deal, but ... ya know... sometimes the best way out. Any gunsmith with a compressor and glass bead machine should be able to do it for minimal labor, and even less if you do the stripping of the parts before hand. OTOH, Harbor Freight bead blaster (about $40) does the job if you have access to compressed air.
    Good point. But clean the grime out of the pits and you'll probably find it looks pretty darn good. So I'd recommend any of the cleaning methods above before a dremel or a bead blast.

JMHO.
    ​O|||||||O

Why is everyone so afraid of a Dremel?????????????????????????? A bit of rouge, a felt pad.................it doesn't take off very much metal, if any. Lepps

Quote Originally Posted by berettabone View Post
    Why is everyone so afraid of a Dremel?????????????????????????? A bit of rouge, a felt pad.................it doesn't take off very much metal, if any. Lepps
    Because it IS gonna change a matte stainless finish.
    ​O|||||||O