Mitch Rosen   Tommy Gun Shop   Tommy Gun   Kahr Shop
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: CW380 range report

Here's a pic with Blazer Brass seated properly in the magazine.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidR View Post
    That's exactly what's happening! The round shape Blazer Brass comes very close to making contact and if the round is moved forward a tad it definitely makes contact. No contact whatsoever with the conical-shaped Hornady. How much did you need to sand off? Any other possible ramifications?
    Sand off just enough to avoid the premature lock back but not enough so the magazine follower does not contact the slide stop pin. It's trial and error. Use very fine grit and polish where you sanded when it loads correctly.

I recently had issues with premature slide lock back on my 380. I tried sanding down the slide lock lever as suggested on the forum. Ended up sending the gun back to kahr for repair. I was told that my gun had an issue with the frame and it was replaced. Great gun now that it functions as it should. Good luck on getting it straightened out.

Hello folks -

New forum member here. I picked up a cw380 a few weeks ago and made my first trip to the range with it today. I didn't break it down to clean it or lube it myself before going. Well before my range visit I watched a few youtube videos about the cw380 and after doing so I left the slide locked back for a few days to help break it in a bit. Anyway, today I put about 50 rounds of Winchester white box ammo through it to get the break in started. For the most part the first 50 rounds cycled fine. The pistol failed to cycle once or twice but I realize these pistols do need the break in so that's no biggie.
    I have two questions or concerns I guess. I have the factory 6 round magazine and two Kahr 7 round extended mags. One of the extended mags releases (drops out freely) when I hit the mag release. The other 2 magazines do not. The other 7 rounder just drops half an inch and it has to be yanked out. The factory mag literally has to be pulled out with force and doesn't drop at all. I read elsewhere on the forum that sanding or lubrication of some sort is an answer to this problem but I have no idea what to sand and lubricate to get the other 2 mags to drop freely. The inside of the mag well? The outside of the magazines or the side of the mag lips?
    Lastly I had planned to put more than 50 rounds through it today. The second 50 round box of ammo I had was Tula brassmax. As soon as I started loading the Tula I ran into a strange problem. The cw380 would chamber the brassmax but the trigger wouldn't reset. I would have the slide locked back, insert the magazine, press the slide release (the round would chamber), but the trigger was not reset. This happened twice so I gave up on the Tula. Has anyone else had this problem with Tula brassmax in the cw380? After getting home I broke the cw380 down and cleaned it thoroughly. I lubed the barrel and the rails and it is ready to go another round. Not sure if I should swap this Tula for different 380 ammo or give it another try during the next range visit.

Quote Originally Posted by bob98366 View Post
    Sand off just enough to avoid the premature lock back but not enough so the magazine follower does not contact the slide stop pin. It's trial and error. Use very fine grit and polish where you sanded when it loads correctly.
    So I sanded a little off the slide stop pin over the weekend and stopped at the range today. 70 rounds with no premature slide lock:

20 rounds Federal Hydra Shok Low Recoil - perfect
    50 rounds Blazer Brass - no premature slide locks however I did have 2 rounds where the gun failed to go fully into battery in the middle of a magazine (pushed it into battery with weak hand thumb)

I now have a total of 250 rounds through this CW380.

Prior to this range trip I corresponded a couple of times with Eoin at Kahr about the battery failures and premature slide locks. He suggested sending it back and offered an RMA (not sure if that's a prepaid label). Given that the premature slide lock problem seems to be fixed and I "only" had 2 battery failures with Blazer FMJs I'm thinking of putting some more rounds through it to see if that problem works itself out. I've had no problems with Hornady CD and the Federal Hydra Shok now seems okay. What do you guys think? Send it back or shoot it some more first?

Quote Originally Posted by DavidR View Post
    So I sanded a little off the slide stop pin over the weekend and stopped at the range today. 70 rounds with no premature slide lock:

20 rounds Federal Hydra Shok Low Recoil - perfect
    50 rounds Blazer Brass - no premature slide locks however I did have 2 rounds where the gun failed to go fully into battery in the middle of a magazine (pushed it into battery with weak hand thumb)

I now have a total of 250 rounds through this CW380.

Prior to this range trip I corresponded a couple of times with Eoin at Kahr about the battery failures and premature slide locks. He suggested sending it back and offered an RMA (not sure if that's a prepaid label). Given that the premature slide lock problem seems to be fixed and I "only" had 2 battery failures with Blazer FMJs I'm thinking of putting some more rounds through it to see if that problem works itself out. I've had no problems with Hornady CD and the Federal Hydra Shok now seems okay. What do you guys think? Send it back or shoot it some more first?
    I'd be inclined to put some more rounds through it, but it's your call. The slide lock problem is on its way to being fixed. As for the battery failures, recommend ensuring the magazines get taken apart and cleaned (no lube inside), and also lubing wherever the slide and barrel engage metal.

RugerJoe, some of your initial problems are probably related to not prepping it. Suggest reviewing the New Members Area stickies especially the proper prep thread and the lube diagram. I've not used Tula in my Kahr pistols, so can't give you much there. However, Kahr recommends using high quality ammo. New Kahrs are very tight, so the prep and lube are essential. Welcome to the forum.

Will do bob thanks.

I've never had an issue with my CW380 thru nearly 500 rds. I'm planning on shooting 50rds. of Aguila this weekend.

Did some polishing of the gun and magazine feed lips and headed back to the range today. 100 rounds as follows:

25 rounds Hornady CD - perfect
    25 rounds Blazer FMJ - perfect
    25 rounds Hornady CD - perfect
    25 rounds Blazer FMJ - 2 failures to return to full battery

I'm chalking up the battery failures that occurred at about round 80 and 85 to a very dirty gun. I declare my CW380 fit for concealed carry.

I now have a total of 350 rounds through it:
    1. Never had a fail to eject
    2. Never had a jam
    3. Never had a failure to lock back after last round
    4. Premature slide locks have been fixed after some sanding (170 rounds since sanding with no lock back)
    5. Still has some battery failures with FMJ when dirty (more than 75 rounds fired)
    6. Didn't like Aguila FMJ at all

muggsy: Let's face it, being shot by a .380 will ruin anyone's day.