CrossBreed Holsters   Tommy Gun Shop   Mitch Rosen   Tommy Gun
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Shoulda, Woulda, Coulda

Default Shoulda, Woulda, Coulda

Been shopping around for a .380, both online and in stores. Found a shop with all four in stock; LCP 380, Bodyguard 380 (no laser), P380 and CW380. Made it easy for hands on side by side comparison.

LCP - Good reliability. Long mediocre trigger pull. No slide lock on last round fired. No sights to speak of.
    BG - Good reliability. Very long mediocre trigger pull. Slide lock on last round fired. Usable sights. Second strike capability.
    P & CW - It's a Kahr! Reliability of the .380 model questionable. Best trigger pull available in mouse guns. Slide lock on last round fired. Usable sights. No second strike capability. P comes with 3 magazines, CW comes with 1.

I think it's going to be a Kahr. I have previous experience with several different models and calibers. Now, the question that has baffled mankind since the Coke / Pepsi wars. Is it going to be a P or CW? P has all the bells and whistles; blunt nose style, Lothar Walther match grade barrel, dovetail front sight, machined slide lock, roll marking, 3 magazines. But it's $300 more than the CW. Is it worth it? My previous and current Kahr ownership have always been the top of the line series. Am I going to be sorry if I "settle" for the CW? Decisions, decisions.

Second question is in regards to break in period specific to the .380 caliber. Any certain brand or grain of ammunition recommended to shoot or stay away from? Break in with one brand / grain, or shoot several different ones? How about carry ammunition? Speer GDHP, Hornady Critical Defense, or...?

Thumbs up

I'll chime in with my opinions:

1. I've tried all 3 and the Kahr wins by a landslide --- recoil, trigger, and shot management.
    2. There's no "settling" with the CW. It is every bit as good a gun. The choice is simple math: how much do you value the PM's looks, extra mags, etc. You can buy a lot of magazines for $300.
    3. Break in with several brands of factory ball ammunition. Your gun may like some brands over the others. Wait until after the break in to try out your SD hollow points. And you might want to read up on .380 ballistics. There's a very convincing school of thought that ball ammo works best in .380.
    4. When choosing your SD ammo, try several brands to see which ones run best. IMHO that is more important than ballistics...that it cycles faithfully every time.

Enjoy.
    ​O|||||||O

For 300 more unless your knocked over by the slight cosmetic difference in the slide, I'd go the CW.

Probably only carry one extra magazine if any and a mag is probably about 30 bucks.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

Please pardon my ignorance - what do you mean by second strike capability?

Quote Originally Posted by DavidR View Post
    Please pardon my ignorance - what do you mean by second strike capability?
    It's double action. You can just pull the trigger if there's a light strike and the striker or hammer will cycle and try again. You don't need to cycle the slide, just pull the trigger.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

Quote Originally Posted by Bawanna View Post
    It's double action. You can just pull the trigger if there's a light strike and the striker or hammer will cycle and try again. You don't need to cycle the slide, just pull the trigger.
    Thanks

muggsy: Let's face it, being shot by a .380 will ruin anyone's day.

P or CW? If you have the money, buy the P. You are already questioning yourself about "settling" for the CW, that question won't go away.
    Advice I was once given: Buy the best you can afford and you won't be sorry.
    "Typing the word "grandparents," I mistyped and the autocorrect changed it to CandyLand. Not entirely inaccurate." - Our daughter.

A Kahr, a Glock, a Ruger, two Brownings, two Remingtons, and a Crossman.

Only you can answer if you would be "settling" on purchasing the CW over the P. If you like the P380 better you will likely think that you settled, if the CW seems to be the gun works for you then it would be a great purchase. I'm not wealthy by any stretch, but if I'm going to own something that I expect to keep for a long time, I would get what I like even if it is a few hundred more.
    On the ammo to steer clear of I would recommend that you not shoot Fiocchi through your 380. I had numerous issues with that brand of 380 ammo. I have used that ammo in other calibers without issues, but the Kahr choked on it.
    Shoot the SD ammo that you have listed and see what works best for you. I like the Hornady but your mileage might vary.

Quote Originally Posted by spud View Post
    ............................ if I'm going to own something that I expect to keep for a long time, I would get what I like even if it is a few hundred more..................
    +1
    And that is why my first Kahr was an MK Elite.
    "Typing the word "grandparents," I mistyped and the autocorrect changed it to CandyLand. Not entirely inaccurate." - Our daughter.

A Kahr, a Glock, a Ruger, two Brownings, two Remingtons, and a Crossman.

Shot a range rental P380. Liked it , but occasional FTF over 50 rounds. Bought CW380 and after 3 range sessions with 75 rounds , no FTF. FMJ used to break in. Have top-rated Hornady XTP ( made by Precision One) for defense. Caveat, last range session I limp-wristed (not same as loose grip) and a subsequent FTF. I Have a CM9 and CW45. Every day carry CM9 in pocket . Saw no reason to spend more. Their polished barrel ramps and smooth trigger pulls always puts a smile on my face.