Crimsontrace   Tommy Gun   Magnum Research new   Mitch Rosen
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: bullets nosed down in magazine

Default bullets nosed down in magazine

New member here. Been reading posts here for a while.

I picked up a new CM9 today and cleaned it and the magazine. I then went to the pasture where I have a dirt pile. I started shooting with a commercial reload 124 grain fmj. The first 25 or so rounds went fine. During the last half of the box, I would have a round nose down in the magazine. Once or twice, 2 would nose down. After finishing that box, I fired a box of 50 Rem UMC 115 grain fmj with no problems at all. Any ideas for what could have caused the bullets to nose down only during the last last of the box? The first half of the 124 grain fmj and the whole box of the 115 grain ran perfect.

Wished I had another box of the 124 grain to measure the oal. To my eyeball, they did look a little on the long side.

Thanks

Joe A.

I suspect nothing to worry about yet. My CM9 was finiky with 115 gr. until broken in with 300 rounds. 1) Part of breaking in process , 2) CM( didn't like one type of bullet/cartridge, 3)shooter getting used to gun. Be sure to follow prep of gun and magazine. Ex= Smooth mag lips? mag spring in backwards?

Many times when new a Kahr does not like store bought reloads. If you load your own and make sure that they are "full" power your break in will go much better. Once the break in is complete (usually 200-300rds) lower power loads will work much better.

Sometimes you will find a load that your particular pistol just does not like. That is normal, just don't use that particular ammo.

Hope this helps, enjoy your new toy
    "Do as I say not as I do"
    "You can't fix stupid"
    "Do what you want, 'cause you will any way"

Stay Safe

Nose dive jambs can be caused by the projectile coming into contact with the slide stop internally. You can check for this by field stripping the gun, reinserting the slide stop and inserting a loaded magazine. Thumb the bullets from the mag and check to see if there is any interference with the slide stop. If there is remove the offending metal from the slide stop. Another thing that you might try first is polishing the edges of the feed lips of the mag with some very fine emery cloth. Sometimes that eliminates the problem.
    Never trust anyone who doesn't trust you to own a gun.

Life Member - NRA
    Colt Gold Cup 70 series
    Colt Woodsman
    Ruger Mark III .22-45
    Kahr CM9
    Kahr P380

Thanks for the replies. Wished I had more of that ammo to try again. Would like to identify the problem and hopefully eliminate it in case if the problem was to pop up with another ammo. The commercial reloader of that ammo is local and will check soon if he has the 124 grain again.

I bought the cm9 as a replacement for my j frames. So far, I think I'll like the Kahr.

I doubt if I will load 9mm ammo again. I used to reload a lot prior to a tornado 3 years. Savaged all of my major equipment. I did set up a single stage press a while back. Just putting off setting up one of my Dillons. Probably I'm just too lazy at 65 years old to set it all up again.

Thanks again

Joe A.

Follow the wise advice of the guys here. The first thing I would do is make sure the mag spring is installed correctly. Sounds like a dumb idea but an easy check.
    "Never pet a burning dog"

I've had some do this with broken followers on PM40 and CW9

Just fired 100 more rounds of 115 grain fmj for a total of 200 rounds thru the pistol. The first 50 rounds went smooth. During the last box, if I'm thinking correctly, round #164 nosed dived. The rest of the box fired fine. On my first post I mentioned the nose dives happening each time for 4 magazine loads during the last half of the first box I fired in it.

Last night I removed the slide assembly, reinserted the slide stop, and inserted a loaded magazine. I then thumbed the rounds out of the magazine and did not notice any contact with the slide stop ( the best I could see ). I will get some emery cloth and try smoothing the feed lips. Any more tips are welcome.

On another note, it seems I've had the trigger to fire a little too soon 2 or 3 times. When I would get thru the pre travel, the pistol would fire prior to the "stacking". Could that be a problem with the pistol or would that be the jerk behind the trigger?

Thought I would mention that the pistol loads perfect from the magazine to the chamber. I can slingshot it or even slowly ride the slide down. Chambers every time. I do generally use the slide stop.

Thanks,

Joe A.

Geez, a 65 year old junior member. What's this world coming to? Who da thunk it.
    Never trust anyone who doesn't trust you to own a gun.

Life Member - NRA
    Colt Gold Cup 70 series
    Colt Woodsman
    Ruger Mark III .22-45
    Kahr CM9
    Kahr P380

Quote Originally Posted by muggsy View Post
    Geez, a 65 year old junior member. What's this world coming to? Who da thunk it.
    At least I'm still young at heart!

Joe