Kahr Shop   Mitch Rosen   Crimsontrace   Tommy Gun
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How To Carry Spare Mag

Default How To Carry Spare Mag

I just finished reading the long thread that was about, "Do you carry a spare Mag".

My question is, how do you carry one so you can retrieve it quickly? It seems that fishing around in a pocket for a small Kahr mag would not work well. Also, if it in a pocket in in a leather pouch how do you extract it from the pouch with one hand?

I you ever need to use a spare magazine, you will probably need it in a hurry and it will need to be readily available on the weak side.

I use a woven nylon "pocket knife" case in the horizontal position on my belt with the velcro flap to the rear, the top of the magazine forward and the nose of the cartridges down so the magazine is correctly oriented for quick insertion in the pistol.

Look at http://www.rainbowofcalifornia.com/cases-c-3-l-en.html.

The 87M Medium Knifecase fits Kahr 9mm 6-round magazines or 380 7-round magazines and the 87SA Swiss Army Knifecase fits Kahr 9mm 7-round magazines.

I found the Rainbow of California cases at REI in Atlanta.

It does not look like a magazine carrier, it is easily accessible while sitting / standing / in a car / etc. and it is fast. Not saying this is the only or best solution, but it works for me.

HTH.

This one's got little tabs that seem to hold it in my pocket when I draw a mag. It works best in a rear pocket for me. It doesn't matter how it stays in the pocket as long as it does. Try some out if possible.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    ​O|||||||O

Thanks Linthead, They recently opened an REI only a couple of miles from me so I will go check them out.

b4uqzme, I like the double pouch. Where did you buy it?

I got it here off a member and I don't know who made it. But they are around. I hate (again) to speak for him but you might want to look into a current member: BEARDOG (who makes quality, leather mag pouches).

I do like the double pouch: 6+1+7+7=21 rounds in a VERY concealable set up...nobody ever had too much ammo.
    ​O|||||||O

Quote Originally Posted by b4uqzme View Post
    I got it here off a member and I don't know who made it. But they are around. I hate (again) to speak for him but you might want to look into a current member: BEARDOG (who makes quality, leather mag pouches).

I do like the double pouch: 6+1+7+7=21 rounds in a VERY concealable set up...nobody ever had too much ammo.
    b4uqzme, I made your double pocket carry mag holder . I am glad to hear you like it, and it is working well for you.

I thought that looked like top drawer Beardog work. Very nice.

I wear a clip on single mag top drawer Beardog mag pouch every day.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

Quote Originally Posted by slickhs View Post
    I just finished reading the long thread that was about, "Do you carry a spare Mag".

My question is, how do you carry one so you can retrieve it quickly? It seems that fishing around in a pocket for a small Kahr mag would not work well. Also, if it in a pocket in in a leather pouch how do you extract it from the pouch with one hand?

Hi slickhs,

The single pocket mag holder that you just ordered from me the other day should be delivered to you soon. I will go over how to use it.

When you get it you will see that I designed it with a hook shape on the rear edge. With a little practice you will be able to draw your mag out of it by catching the hook on the rear corner of the pocket.

I also make them very closely molded/fitted this is to keep the top round from moving and popping out of the mag (a well known issue with Kahr 9mm mags carried bare in the pocket)
    The straight edge on the bottom helps keep it upright. The curved top gives fingers room to grab it.
    It has a small footprint by design as well so that you can carry it and something else in the same pocket (phone, wallet,etc). I carry mine in my off hand(left) front pocket, bullets forward, beside my money clip. Then my CM9 goes in my right front pocket by itself.

If you have any other questions just ask here or PM me.

Pic of my single holders.

Quote Originally Posted by Bawanna View Post
    I thought that looked like top drawer Beardog work. Very nice.

I wear a clip on single mag top drawer Beardog mag pouch every day.
    Thanks Col. B!