Magnum Research new   Xssights   Crimsontrace   CrossBreed Holsters
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: P9 frame crack...

Default P9 frame crack...

Hi All!

Long time Kahr owner. Had a K9 from about 96-ish to 2003, or so, and then I aqquirred my P9.

During a recent cleaning session I felt a small scrape on my finger and noticed a small bit of pin/wire protruding below the left hand side of my trigger pin. No biggie, take a small allen wrench and push it back up... Thinking 10 year old gun, things wiggle.

While doing so i notice that there appears to be a crack below the trigger pin on the left hand side. It appears to be on both side of where the small piece of pin/wire engages the trigger pin. Its definitely a crack or slot as a piece of paper will silde in the outer exposed slot. Want to find out if I just missed this for years or if this is something new.

The usuals... Gun was bought I want to say about 2003/4. Serial is YB45xx. Only other issue I have ever had was a plastic mag release that lost its metal tab. Kahr sent me the newer style steel mag catch(about 4 years ago, iirc) and no problems since.

This has me concerned as this is a daily carry piece. I shoot about 25- 50 rds a month minimum, but not a much more. It has been, after the break in, reliable as all get out.

I have done some searching and see very few Kahr frame problems, so any help is appreciated.

Mako72

**Would have included pics, but not sure my Iphone will macro that small. Can try if it will help.

Got a decent pic, but can't figure out how to post it... Grrrr....

you can post a link to photobucket (or the like). 30 or more posts for a direct post, so get talking ; )
    In memory of great-grammy; never understood a word she yelled in polish, but we all knew what she meant.

Sorry to hear that. I'm an engineer and do understand metallurgy. That is a primary reason that I prefer all metal pistols like my Kahr MK9.

Ok. Got a pic uploaded, here ya go. I think I know the answer, but I wanted to check with some others before I bug Kahr.

Edit- And the white line above the pin is just and errant cat hair!

Nice picture. I hope Kahr will do something for you. I wouldn't want to put a lot of money in it and might consider a really good epoxy fix. I would even consider drilling a small hole to insert epoxy to strengthen that area, if you decide to take things into your own hands.

Good luck.

Wynn
    USAF Retired '88, NRA Life Member. Wife USAF Retired '96
    Avatar: Wynn re-enlists his wife Desiree, circa 1988 Loring AFB, ME. 42nd BMW, Heavy (SAC) B-52G's
    Frédéric Bastiat’s essay, The Law: http://mises.org/books/thelaw.pdf

Thomas Jefferson said

“A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have.”
    and

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".

That looks like a crack to me! I would think Kahr would replace the frame.

If you bought your Kahr new, its still covered by the lifetime warranty that was in place at that time, no?

Quote Originally Posted by Mako72 View Post

Ok. Got a pic uploaded, here ya go. I think I know the answer, but I wanted to check with some others before I bug Kahr.

Edit- And the white line above the pin is just and errant cat hair!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mako72 View Post
    The usuals... Gun was bought I want to say about 2003/4. Serial is YB45xx. Only other issue I have ever had was a plastic mag release that lost its metal tab.
    According to Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kahr_Arms) "Since late 2003 or very early in 2004, Kahr has changed from offering a Limited Lifetime Warranty on their pistols to one of only five years' duration. . . ."

That means you might want to determine exactly when you actually purchased your Kahr. If you got it before the warranty change, you should be good to go. Even if it is questionable, some people have gotten good service above and beyond by handling their interaction with the customer support folks well.

In any event, I would start by sending them this picture (lose the cat hair first) via E-mail to: service@kahr.com (according to their contact us page).

With any luck they will make the process painless by providing a cost free shipping label in an email reply.

Best of luck, sir.
    It would be so nice if something made sense for a change.
    -- Alice in Lewis Carroll's Alice's Adventures in Wonderland

Be sure to include the serial number. It should have the "unlimited" warranty.

Good luck.

Wynn
    USAF Retired '88, NRA Life Member. Wife USAF Retired '96
    Avatar: Wynn re-enlists his wife Desiree, circa 1988 Loring AFB, ME. 42nd BMW, Heavy (SAC) B-52G's
    Frédéric Bastiat’s essay, The Law: http://mises.org/books/thelaw.pdf

Thomas Jefferson said

“A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have.”
    and

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".