Tommy Gun Shop   Mitch Rosen   Tommy Gun   Magnum Research new
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Best practice distance for quick double tap firing

Good example of the Mozambique Drill, or Triple Tap done in under a second. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O8QrWm3Acc0
    Tom
    Live today, tomorrow may not come!
    Boberg XR9S
    Kahr CW40
    Springfield Armory 1911
    Dan Wesson Revolver

HY*NDAI is to cars, what Caracal, Hi-Point, and Jennings is to handguns. The cars may or may not run ok, but the corporation SUCKS.

Good example of the Mozambique Drill, or Triple Tap done in under a second, including drawing the weapon from the holster: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O8QrWm3Acc0
    Tom
    Boberg XR9S
    Kahr CW40
    Springfield Armory 1911
    Dan Wesson Revolver

HY*NDAI is to cars, what Caracal, Hi-Point, and Jennings is to handguns. The cars may or may not run ok, but the corporation SUCKS.

Practice at the range you plan to engage a target at. This works for me from my Kahr MK9 to a M60A3 tank.

Good example of the Mozambique Drill, or Triple Tap done in under a second, including drawing the weapon from the holster: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O8QrWm3Acc0

Unfortunately, that would get you kicked out of the two indoor ranges I shoot at. They require 1 second between each shot. You can get away with the occasional double tap. It's best to do it when there are a few others shooting so they aren't sure who did it. Or if it was just two different guns going off. You'd best not mess up and hit the wires holding and sending the targets back and forth, or you're banned from the range for a while. And I think they make you pay for the repair, if you want to shoot there again.
    Tom
    Boberg XR9S
    Kahr CW40
    Springfield Armory 1911
    Dan Wesson Revolver

That's funny that someone could throw lead that wild cause it reminds me of my trip to the range to qualify on the 1911 .45 during my National Guard days back in the late 50's when I was 18-20 years old. The target was big as a house door, the bullseye was big as a dinner plate, and only about 15-18 feet away. Heck, back home I shot coke cans further away than that with my Hi-Standard .22 pistol. Familiarization went fine but during the 5-round sustained timed fireing I saw dirt fly up once about 2/3s the way to the target. Surely wasn't me, but then I realized I was the only one at the range at that time, so I thought boy I'd better get on the ball and quit jerking on the trigger. I finally qualified "Expert" but realized in a hurry that the 1911 was a lot different from my 6" barrel .22.

There you go T-man repeating yourself again, but I guess that drill was worth watching twice. Nice shooting. Great post. Both of them.
    Never trust anyone who doesn't trust you to own a gun.

Life Member - NRA
    Colt Gold Cup 70 series
    Colt Woodsman
    Ruger Mark III .22-45
    Kahr CM9
    Kahr P380

Couple of comments on this:

1) +1 to muggsy's 7 yard suggestion.
    2) The video demonstration includes competition holster (low cut in the front), no concealment, very close range, and some superpowers .
    3) At our club, we have a test where you start from the holster, draw and fire 2 rounds, with both hitting an 8" in. circle, from 7 yards within 2.5 seconds. And be able to do this three times in a row. No concealment. This is not super challenging, but enough to make you keep in practice. Add another .25 or .5 for the third head shot?

7 yards is probably about right,but I practice a lot of ccw stuff at 10 yards.

Upstate NY - (nothing like NYC). In remote country with thousands of acres of hunting.

Default Excellent advice

Quote Originally Posted by b4uqzme View Post
    I think the logic is that, if you can practice to hit varying distances (including up to 20 yards), you should be able to be effective if you ever get into a real world situation. I practiced double taps at the standard 7 yards and thought I was pretty good. I found out different at my first IDPA event where I was on the clock and moving and sometimes shooting moving targets, etc. I'm thankful for the training.
    b4uqzme is giving you excellent advice. It is far too common to hear guys say that 20 yrds is a stretch. Not the case at all. There is no better training to stretch your gun handling skills, as b4uqzme suggests. Until you try it, you will not realize how it is possible to shoot well at longer distances, quickly, while moving, targets moving, changing mags, various shooting positions, using cover, etc.... Static range practice is OK practice. However, IDPA offers real world situations and allows you to experienced gun handling that will take you to a new level of SD skill sets.
    My Sword - PM4044N/CTL/Talons
    - "One should diligently train at all times." Miyamoto Musashi
    - "Train in technique until it requires no thought - no mind and just happens." Takan Soho
    - "The truth beyond the technique....Here's where we stop thinking and start shooting." Brian Enos
    - "A single sword against the cold sky." Yamaoka Tesshu
    - "You must concentrate upon and consecrate yourself wholly to each day, as though a fire were raging in your hair."
    Taisen Deshimaru
    - "Know your sword!"

The problem with all this is when you get in court and try to explain that you took 3 shots at a guy 60 feet away with a knife in his hand while your adrenaline was flowing and missed 2 of the 3 shots. The CM9/PM9 handguns are best used in up close and personal SD situations. These situations occur suddenly with no warning and the assailant will in all probability be 7 yards or less from you. At least that's what the statistics compiled by the real experts say. If I find myself in a situation where I must shoot someone in my house those distances would apply. The only way I would shoot at another person at 20 yards is if they were attempting to shoot at me from that distance. The average criminal won't disclose his intent from that great of a distance. If I am preparing for that kind of scenario I will be carrying my Sig 220 Carry SAO or my Sig 229 or my Kimber CDP Pro. They all have a longer sight radius and are easier to shoot well quickly and from a distance. An on duty police officer would consider these little Kahr pistols as suitable for backup duty. The guy shooting the drill in the video wasn't shooting a small pistol. My Glock 19 would be well suited for that. The long trigger pull in these weapons doesn't make them ideal for that type of drill. The reset is too long to allow extreme accurate speed shooting.