CrossBreed Holsters   Tommy Gun Shop   Xssights   Tommy Gun
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: P380 Ammo and PM9 Ammo Question

Question P380 Ammo and PM9 Ammo Question

P380 and PM9 Ammo question.

I have a P380 that I have shot Winchester, Remington, Magtech, Perfecta, Silver Bear, and PPU thru, all of them have had 3 or more primer strikes (FTFs) per box of 50. I replaced the recoil springs with no net effect.

I also have a PM9 Black that had the same issues until I fired Magtech, CCI Brass and Federal 115 grain FMJ thru it and it shot 50 for 50. with zero FTFs.

Last but not least my MK9 and CW9 will fire anything I put in them

Finding Federal and CCI Brass for the P380 is difficult at best.

Any ideas?

Thanks
    Mark

I'm no expert like some of these guys, but I don't think your problem with the 380 is the ammo. Gun needs to be serviced.
    Rest in peace Muggsy

"Individual Muslims may show splendid qualities, but the influence of the religion paralyses the social development of those who follow it. No stronger retrograde force exists in the world." Winston Churchill 1899

My P380 has run Winchester Train and Defend, Federal, Speer Lawman, Hornady Critical Defense, and LGS factory reloads with no failures at all.

My P380 eats anything with no issues in several years of range time. My newly acquired PM9, so far so good, but I haven't fed it much yet. Good luck with it.

Are these pistol new or used ? What kind of round count ? You did pull the striker assembly clean and dry right and maintain it ? You should do that when brand new. That does get over looked by many pistol owners.
    You said you replaced the recoil spring? Replacing the Striker spring is what would fix lite strikes on the primer. Recoil spring would control chambering a cartridge along with mag springs .

I only use a better class of ammo for the first couple hundred rounds. Save the cheap ammo for down the road after you know the pistols reliable. Always keep some good ammo in case a problem shows up to check ifs its an ammo problem or owner issues !! Only top quality ammo for the first few hundred rounds. Also one mag at a time as those also need to prove reliable. I have allways had good luck with Remington express ammo . Dirty but tends to run well. Another hard to find is speers lawman ammo for new gun proofing. I will also run a box of premium HP from one of these, Underwood or Georgia arms or Speer GD early on thru a new handgun. The first two use speers no name bonded unicor bullet, aka, gold dot. That bullet runs in anything and the companies load very good ammo. Georgia arms as a great place to also buy remanufactured practice ammo from, "canned heat". Might also be worth starting to collect some basic reloading equipment .

I would also say IF you have an experienced shooting buddy that shoots small pistol ?? Let that person have some personal time with your handguns. See if they find a problem or they all run well for him.

I haven't had any issues with my MK9 at all with any quality ammo I put in it.

This is the same with my CZ PO1 in 9mm and my CZ 83 in .380.

Interesting.

Guy's thanks for sharing your experiences and your thoughts on possible issues and how to correct them.

To answer a few of your questions.

I have 4 Kahrs, 2 that I bought new and the two in question which I bought used so I don't know their round count.

I have 4 magazines for both pistols.

I have not replaced the striker springs but they will be ordered today.

Thanks again

Mark

Maybe all you need to do is clean the striker channel instead of replacing the springs. Residue collects in the channel and too much oil on a clean channel will cause the problem. Maybe the springs are only dirty and not too weak. See cleaning instructions on this forum.

Thanks again to all who replied, this is my second day on this forum and I haven't been able to find the "See cleaning instructions on this forum" using the search function, any clues on where it is would be appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by markntexas View Post
    Thanks again to all who replied, this is my second day on this forum and I haven't been able to find the "See cleaning instructions on this forum" using the search function, any clues on where it is would be appreciated.
    Check out the stickies in the new member section.
    Based on advice I received here, I clean my striker channel with non-chlorinated brake cleaner. I don't disassemble it.

muggsy: Let's face it, being shot by a .380 will ruin anyone's day.