Xssights   Magnum Research new   Tommy Gun   Kahr Shop

Thread: Consideration of holsters for Kahr pistol carry

Default Consideration of holsters for Kahr pistol carry

Does your holster for Kahr pistol carry work for you?

I just replied to a thread that was discussing use of a fanny pack holster. I've elaborated on my reply and the extended informationfollows. For those of us who have kicked around for awhile we'veprobably all got a drawer or box full of holsters that we either nolonger use or use infrequently because they just don't work for usanymore or never did in the first place. There are so many holstermakers, distributors, re-sellers etc. today that the choices can beconfusing, especially if you can't get your hands on one to evaluateit. Many times, gun manufacturers either sell or recommend holsters– I've found these to usually be good recommendations for most folks but individual circumstances may well dictate something different is required to meet a particular need, body type,environment etc. I offer some personal opinions below about holsters ingeneral and hope that some of you may find them useful.

My basic philosophy is that a single holster usually does not meet all the needs of a gun owner unless you only wear it to answer the front door. So, I believe a person must first decide specifically whatexact needs they want their holster to satisfy.

In my case I want to satisfy the following needs:

Keep the gun:
    -safe
    -concealed,even with shorts and t-shirt
    -secure
    -highlyaccessible

Keepthe carry:
    -comfortable
    -maintenanceand sweat friendly

The weapon:
    As we're aware, all pistols are not all equal when it comes to the characteristics of size, weight, balance, print etc. It has been my experience that a holster that works well for a specific weapon may not work at all for a very, very similar piece with only one slightly different characteristic. For instance, I love OWB extreme hi-ride holsters and for many gunsthey are perfect. But get another gun with the same dimensions,weight and print but a different point of balance and they don't workat all.

Noteon weapon size as it relates to pocket carry. For myself,I find the following to be true: height of pistol not over 5”,width less than 1” (unless it's a revolver), length less than 6”,the total added dimensions of height, length, width less than 12”,empty weight 23 oz or less.

The clothing:
    Ilike front pocket carry and my new CM9 fits my front pockets verynicely. However, my jeans have all been modified by extending the pockets; some of my other pants as well. For a holster to work forme, I may need to not only choose what to wear when but also tomodify / tailor what I wear. Another important apparel point for meis the belt must support the holster/gun and whatever else I amcarrying – my belt needs are a strong and supporting belt with alook consistent with my general dress / attire.

The circumstances:
    Examples: Do you spend a lot of time in a car? If so, I suspect you may notcarry IWB. Is the temperature outside 100 plus? If so, I suspectyou don't use a shoulder holster. Before I buy another holster I always consider the circumstances of its use. Circumstances changeand in my case, I use 3 very different holsters.

Regarding the Kahr CM9– I'm just now finishing the break-in period and it will not becarried for another month at least. I want to put a minimum of 1000 rounds through it and field strip and clean it a bunch more times. I already have a Remora holster for another gun that will work fine for Pocket and IWB carry of the CM9. If I decide to actually carry the Kahr I believe that I will also get another extreme high ride OWB. I have not yet evaluated the weight/balance issue and need to talk with Rusty (the maker I use) to discuss it before any decision is made.

Best Regards and Be Safe,
    Rhead

Good thoughts rhead, consider also using suspenders when appropriate. They really do help a lot.
    "The Deacon" Zoot Shooter #84
    Yup, I'm the guy at Surplus Rifle

I am very partial to Milt Sparks Versa Max II for various handguns. I feel it is the best IWB made. I picked up a Milt Sparks Summer Special on ebay for a K-40 and use it for my PM9. The Summer Special is good, but the Versa Max II is a bit better. I have a Mernickle clip holster for the Glock G-27 and like it very much. For my Kahr P380 I've been very happy with the DeSantis http://www.opticsplanet.com/desantis...plain-tan.html. Fits good and stays open to reholster the pistol. I've probably had mine a couple of years, used it a lot, and it is holding up just fine. BTW, with the Milt Sparks holsters, I order the holster for a 40 and can use it on a 9 or a 40. Makes it easier to pull, and holds a Kahr 40 or 9mm quite well. Same with a Browning Hi-Power in 40 and the standard 9mm. Just received a Mitch Rosen clip holster for a PM9 today, from member jfsjr66. Really nice holster and fits like a glove.

I also have a CM9 and I carry mine everyday. I carry appendix in the waistband. Due to my body type I am able to even drive with it this way with minimal discomfort, if any at all. I have two holsters for the CM9 as of now...the first one I bought was a High Noon Mr. Softy Low Ride Holster. it carries well, though for summer time carry when body sweat is more likely to be introduced to the firearm, I wanted a kydex holster that covered the entire length of the slide. I went with a PJ Holster IWB FBI cant holster. I have been VERY pleased with this holster and have yet to switch back to the High Noon even once.
    *Kahr CM9
    *Glock 19

“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms..disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes. Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed one.” – Jefferson

Good thread Rhead. I agree with most everything. Funny thing is, we all have our own answers to the same question: what's the best holster?

Jimmy. You got pretty good taste in holsters. Good recommendations.
    ​O|||||||O