Mitch Rosen   Crimsontrace   Tommy Gun Shop   Xssights
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: New CW380,dissapointed.

Default New CW380,dissapointed.

I recently traded in a diamondback db380 in on a Kahr cw380 in the hopes that it was a better quality and functioning gun,now I am not so sure I did the right thing.

I took it out today for its break in with high hopes after following all of the great prep advice on this site.
    I ran 300 rounds through it and it only had one failure to feed but a consistent problem with the slide not returning all the way forward,stopping with the end of the slide flush with the end of the grip frame,requiring smoking the back of the slide to get it into battery.
    Running the slide by hand if you ride the slide you can feel the loss of spring tension as it nears the end of the grip frame.
    So I guess I have to call Kahr and see what they say,$120+ in ammo down the crapper so far.

Anyone have a similar problem?

Sorry to hear that, I too have one on the way and have great hopes it will perform.... I would not call it a complete waste of ammo as you deliberately kept feeding a gun that wasn't performing...

Like feeding a car gas when there's a leak in the hose... I have zero experience with Kahrs so far so others will chime in with real world advice, but while I try to ramp up my post count : ) let me suggest clean the gun, lube, and with mag out rack that sucker like there's no tomorrow.... Then after around 200 plus times take it out and dump 50 into it...

Sorry for your frustration. Im curious if you cleaned it during those 300 rounds. One thing I might try once if they don't ask for it back is clean it real good since you've been shooting, oil it well (maybe a little on the wet side), and try one box of some full power full metal jacket ammo. Im glad you didnt have any ftf or other jams. I think what you are facing will clear up. Possibly after a good cleaning since your breakin is done.I've had 4 kahrs and after a good first shooting and a good cleaning they do run better.

Also make sure to hold it firmly in the beginning. A little bit of loose grip in the beginning will cause what you are having now. I have a glock that would do that too in the beginning but it cleared up also.
    The only thing better than having all the guns and ammo you'd ever need would be being able to shoot it all off the back porch.

Want to see what will be the end of our country as we know it???
    Visit here:
    http://www.usdebtclock.org/

Pull the barrel out, drop a live round in the barrel. The base of the case should be even with, or lower than the end of the barrel. If I'm not clear enough, search "plunk test".

There have been cases of the chamber/freebore being incorrect.

Also some bullet shapes will engage the rifling before the slide is completely in battery. A more pointed bullet will be less likely to do that.

I'm sure that others will be along to give you a better explanation.

Good luck, it will work out.
    "Do as I say not as I do"
    "You can't fix stupid"
    "Do what you want, 'cause you will any way"

Stay Safe

Quote Originally Posted by yqtszhj View Post
    Sorry for your frustration. Im curious if you cleaned it during those 300 rounds. One thing I might try once if they don't ask for it back is clean it real good since you've been shooting, oil it well (maybe a little on the wet side), and try one box of some full power full metal jacket ammo. Im glad you didnt have any ftf or other jams. I think what you are facing will clear up. Possibly after a good cleaning since your breakin is done.I've had 4 kahrs and after a good first shooting and a good cleaning they do run better.

Also make sure to hold it firmly in the beginning. A little bit of loose grip in the beginning will cause what you are having now. I have a glock that would do that too in the beginning but it cleared up also.
    +1 What he said. I experienced the same thing with my CW380 when going through the break-in period. It would occasionally fail to go fully into battery, requiring a nudge on the back of the slide. I kept the gun clean and lubed, using only full-power factory ammo, and the problem went away after about 150+ rounds. After that, it has functioned flawlessly. I now have over 1000 rounds through mine without a single hiccup. That being said, I do not use reloads in this gun, only full-power factory ammo. It is not fussy, and will eat whatever factory ammo I feed it, both FMJ and JHP.

Quote Originally Posted by shlike View Post
    . That being said, I do not use reloads in this gun, only full-power factory ammo. It is not fussy, and will eat whatever factory ammo I feed it, both FMJ and JHP.
    I only intend to feed mine handloads, so it will be interesting to see how it performs... my loads casings are within spec so it should be a non-issue... however I do have one box of factory perfecta I'll probably shoot first (just to be rid of it)

Timboy,
    Welcome to the forums
    What ammo are you using in your CW380?
    Regards,
    Greg
    [<a href=http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif target=_blank>http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif</a>

I kept feeding ammo into because problems can be expected during the first 200 or so rounds during break in,not unusual in my experience but this problem didnt go away.

I used 250 rounds of Remington UMC fmj and 50 rounds of crappy brass cased tula ammo just to see how it ran...worse than the Remingtons...not suprising.
    I did wipe and re oil the slide contact points,barrel a few times during the process.
    I think the gun just has a binding or spring related issue as it really feels and sounds odd while slowly running the slide by hand without a round in it.
    Also the side cover bulges out near the end of the trigger travel,it seems like the trigger bar is pushing it out.

It will smooth out after more rounds. I am in the process of breaking in my second P380....up to around 300 rounds now, only failed to go into battery once today. First outing it was a lot. My first P380 was the same. After around 500 rounds, it was perfect in all respects. This new one is smoothing out nicely.

Charlie

My Wife's P380 had same issue. Kahr would not respond to e mails. I just bought $9 in replacement springs. No more issues.