Tommy Gun   Tommy Gun Shop   Magnum Research new   Xssights
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone Carry Pepper Spray ???

Default Anyone Carry Pepper Spray ???

I'm thinking about getting some pepper spray for myself and the wife.. I have zero knowledge other than the little reading I did online a few minutes ago..

I'm looking at this as an alternative to just pulling out a gun and shooting the BG for legality reasons.. I figure If I can show use of non lethal force beforehand in an altercation that would go miles before a jury.. If in fact I ever had to use my gun at least I can show I tried my best to stop the proceeding threat..

Any of you guys carry pepper spray or another form of deterrent other than a gun..?? I used to carry a kubaton but I'm looking for something to distance myself from a threat..

and of course the probability of ever having to shoot someone in our lifetime will probably never happen, but its foolish to be unprepared..

what do you carry,experiences, brand etc... ??

thanks for your response

i have carried kimber peperblaster ll since they came out several years ago. if u get in a situation where u cannot go with gun u still have kimber. check out some of the reviews online. as long as u have about 3' between u and subject u don't have to worry about it blowing back

yeah I seen that, the one in the shape of a gun??

I've read FOX is really good also...

Not so much.
    Hand to hand combat training.
    Edged weapons training.
    Professional handgun training works for me.

i have gun shaped and round back both work fine. killed a mimosa tree at 20 ft. did not intend to kill tree but did. the gun shape is easier to aim but harder to conceal. nobody knows what the round butt is.

Quote Originally Posted by kahrnut1 View Post
    i have carried kimber peperblaster ll since they came out several years ago. if u get in a situation where u cannot go with gun u still have kimber. check out some of the reviews online. as long as u have about 3' between u and subject u don't have to worry about it blowing back
    X2 on the pepperblaster. All the Women in my life that want one, have one, along with a training session on when and how to use it. I like the old pepperblaster better, looks like a cell phone in the hand instead of a red squirt gun. To my mind the little key chain pepper sprays are useless as their range is too short. If he is that close, he is TOO close. Add the previously mentioned blowback and one could be afflicted by your own spray...
    Kimber says in some advertising that they have a reloadable training pepperblaster that shoots colored water and also a clip on aiming laser to carry, but I have yet to find either for sale anyplace.
    Awaiting someone to post up a link to both any minuet now... Have a good one.
    I was once asked if I was "a paranoid for carrying my Kahr".
    "Nope" I said, "just prepared".
    " prepared for what" he asked?
    "more stuff than you are"
    God Bless our Troups!

Quote Originally Posted by Barth View Post
    Not so much.
    Hand to hand combat training.
    Edged weapons training.
    Professional handgun training works for me.
    with that aside I'm looking primarily for my wife as well as the legalistic side of things, your two references by law would require the BG to strike first otherwise you will be held accountable, and or both go to jail if its a simple fight... to me that's letting the threat get far to close for comfort and at that point anything can happen.. Especially someone pumped on PCP, you're done.. My thoughts with pepper spray is if you hit them with that and they continue the threat (and you can't retreat) you have every right to feel your life is threatened and may use deadly force, as they haven't stopped and have demonstrated they intend to bring you harm..

While I may fend for myself (depending on the threat) my wife cannot.. I like options, especially if my wife or myself are going to be held accountable for shooting someone, God forbid that ever happens.. Statistics say it most likely won't but.............

bottom line is I don't want to lose everything I've worked so hard for in life because of some idiot that made me shoot him, a jury of peers can be easily swayed pending how things went down and we see far to often how things get twisted in this world we live in....

Aside from four legged critters, I'm in the camp of "don't bring a knife to a gun fight." "Knife" can be replaced by any number of non-lethal "hindrances".

By the time you get your spray out and aim, pull the trigger and hopefully not get yourself and then realize the threat is still present , and then have to pull your firearm and repeat it is probably too late. I've been sprayed enough times (in training) to know that I can still function at a high enough level to accomplish what I need to. I'm fairly certain there are more than a few career criminals that have figured out the same thing.

I've yet to been shot but I'm fairly certain my reaction would be much different than being sprayed.

That being said, something is better than nothing.

There are lots'a folks that aren't much bothered by Pepper Spray. I've seem guys take cn/cs tear gas and still fight.

Folks on drugs (like PCP) some times are hard to stop even with a bullet.

Pepper spray can be a good distraction, especially for an unarmed victim, I believe that a good basic self defense class (unarmed training) would be/is important for ALL of your family members. There are a lot of good basic classes available for little or no money. Check out YMCA or YWCA, check your area for others.

Also be aware that some places batons, pepper spray, fixed blade knives, ect. are not legal for carry.

Just my opinion, maybe worth what you paid for it.
    "Do as I say not as I do"
    "You can't fix stupid"
    "Do what you want, 'cause you will any way"

Stay Safe

Quote Originally Posted by TheLastDaze View Post
    If I can show use of non lethal force beforehand in an altercation that would go miles before a jury.. If in fact I ever had to use my gun at least I can show I tried my best to stop the proceeding threat..
    the probability of ever having to shoot someone in our lifetime will probably never happen, but its foolish to be unprepared..
    I'm looking primarily for my wife as well as the legalistic side of things, your two references by law would require the BG to strike first otherwise you will be held accountable, and or both go to jail if its a simple fight... to me that's letting the threat get far to close for comfort and at that point anything can happen..
    My thoughts with pepper spray is if you hit them with that and they continue the threat (and you can't retreat) you have every right to feel your life is threatened and may use deadly force, as they haven't stopped and have demonstrated they intend to bring you harm..
    bottom line is I don't want to lose everything I've worked so hard for in life because of some idiot that made me shoot him, a jury of peers can be easily swayed pending how things went down and we see far to often how things get twisted in this world we live in....
    TLD, I've highlighted some of your comments in this thread. They are all valid and excellent points! More importantly, they show you are giving thoughtful consideration to: the judicious use of deadly force.

I've grappled with the same questions you raise in this thread. I've sought answers by reading books, searching the Internet, and taking several courses on the topic. I'll list a few of my favorite resources at the end of this post in case you wish to seek expert advice. First, here is my opinion formulated from information I've gleaned from the experts. These are my own words. I am not an expert on the subject, nor am I an attorney. Readers take notice.

In most jurisdictions, you are not required to progress from non-lethal, to less-lethal, to lethal force in order to successful defend your actions against a perpetrator. If the threat is real, and sufficient enough to justify the use of pepper spray, the use of pepper spray may not save your life. The time you lose deploying CS may preclude you from transitioning to a more effective means of stopping the assault--and you may get killed.

The decision to use a gun to save your life will likely have to be made in a split second. There will be no time to think it through. That's why is it so important to think about these issues before being faced with them. Kudos to you for doing just that.

Gun forums provide lots of information about "what" to shoot and "how" to shoot. Here are some resources about "when" to shoot:

1. In The Gravest Extreme This is an old book, but still considered by many to be the bible. Anyone who owns a gun for personal protection owes it to themselves to read this book.
    2. Use Of Force This is a short online tutorial. Whoever created this site did a nice job of summarizing key points. It's a good primer to whet your appetite.
    3. MAG-40 This is arguably the best training available on the topic. This 40-hour course is expensive and intense. If you have the means to take this course, do so.

Stay safe.
    NRA Life Member

"Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician." -Col Jeff Cooper