Kahr Shop   Mitch Rosen   Tommy Gun Shop   Xssights
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Best defense ammo for CW9

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Best defense ammo for CW9

Want to the range yesterday to continue to try and get used to my CW9. I shot some Ranger NATO, HST +P, Gold Dot +P. Did ok but still shooting left. In my range ammo box, I found some Winchester Ranger 147 grain SXT none +P. The 147 grain ammo seemed to shoot to point of aim and I liked the recoil etc. I know everyone shoots whatever they can handle. Just wondering what other CW9 shooters have found works well that is not +P. This gun is a backup only for my duty Sig.

Thanks guys as always

Officer Dave

I use the Fed HST 147 gr. non +p..........................................

Quote Originally Posted by berettabone View Post
    I use the Fed HST 147 gr. non +p..........................................
    Me too, works great.

Search YouTube for "Ammo Quest 9mm". They are working their way through some EXTENSIVE tests. I picked up some 124gr Federal HST (also non +P) the other day (always liked the .45 version), but Hornady Critical Defense also had good results in their testing.

blah, blah, tactical, zombie killer, one shot stopper, blah, blah, FBI tests, yadda, yadda. what's cheap and available that you can practice with? last ammo I bought for practice and carry was some Fiocchi 158gr. subsonic that was on sale at Midwayusa. nice shooting ammo, low recoil, fast 2nd, 3rd shots. other ammo is PMC, Armscor, whatever is on sale. FMJ. sometimes pick up 147gr. Winchester flat nose, that's a nice shooter. practice.

Hornady Critical Defense hands down.
    Wake Up...Grow Up...Show Up...Sit Up...Shut Up...Listen Up

Quote Originally Posted by Longitude Zero View Post
    Hornady Critical Defense hands down.
    I'll second that. Over 200 rnds without any problems. Great defensive ammo especially with the Kahr pistols.

Look at the Dawson tritium front sight. Putting one on my E9 didn't go as smoothly as I expected. I'd see if they will mount it for you, unless you have experience staking sights. Nice sight.

I bought my CW9 in July and during my break-in trip to the range I went through 240 rounds of 115gr FMJ from Blazer, Remington, Federal and Monarch. At 7 yards these all hit about 4 inches left of point of aim. I haven't been able to get back to the range to try any heavier bullets yet. Any opinions from anyone whether this is an ammo, sight alignment or shooter issue?

Quote Originally Posted by MTCSS View Post
    I bought my CW9 in July and during my break-in trip to the range I went through 240 rounds of 115gr FMJ from Blazer, Remington, Federal and Monarch. At 7 yards these all hit about 4 inches left of point of aim. I haven't been able to get back to the range to try any heavier bullets yet. Any opinions from anyone whether this is an ammo, sight alignment or shooter issue?
    Unless the sights are off center, which is possible but unlikely, I'd wager that it's a shooter issue. Kahr's trigger takes getting used to. Practice a smooth, steady trigger pull keeping the rest of your fingers and hands steady. Have no regard for finding the break, since a Kahr doesn't have one. Also, look at the front sight instead of the target. HTH.