Magnum Research new   Xssights   CrossBreed Holsters   Kahr Shop
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How do you store your ammo?

Default How do you store your ammo?

I have been using ammo cans with desiccant packs for some time now. I just ordered two .50's and two .30's for my recent ammo buy. I label the cans with index cards and store those away in the garage.

What about you? How do you store your ammo?

Ammo cans and shrink wrap-really like how Target Sports does shrink wrap their ammo. Cannot say enough good things about them. Always fast deliveries etc. Especially since I buy a lot of ammo each month.

Yearly gift

This order Buck Shot only.

I envy you sir!

On a shelf unit in my closet. Some loose ammo kept in ammo cans. More in original cases. Probably around ten thousand rounds or so. Now I'm wishing I had a lot more what with the apocalypse and all.
    Judging by today's left wing, looks like Senator Joe McCarthy was right after all.

Ya I feel ya. I personally feel that 10,000 per caliber is appropriate.

The thing is, you are not going to need any ammo.

Hmm....I never thought it was about "need" but about "want."

I've been using desiccant packs in ammo cans for a long time and most of the cans are in steel storage lockers... on the bottom/floor shelf... heavy. I can lock those and have on trips when guns all locked up, too.

I have actually vacuum packed some ammo in the past, reconsidered and redid them with less vacuum so as not to dry out the powder!

I also leave some cases of ammo unopened and when they fit, .380 auto or .22LR, put them in an ammo can with desiccant, too.

I don't shoot much for a while now, and I still have a lot of expensive ammo that I bought when times were hard... for resell, so doing okay on ammo, except trying to find a new .380 defense load that penetrates and expands to the new FBI standards AND standard pressure loads.

This picture is dated 09-2012, but I dried these desiccant packs out then. It takes a while at a decent temperature, 16 hours at 250°, so I haven't done that often!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    USAF Retired '88, NRA Life Member. Wife USAF Retired '96
    Avatar: Wynn re-enlists his wife Desiree, circa 1988 Loring AFB, ME. 42nd BMW, Heavy (SAC) B-52G's
    Frédéric Bastiat’s essay, The Law: http://mises.org/books/thelaw.pdf

Thomas Jefferson said

“A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have.”
    and

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".

In a safe in the closet.............................

Wow, impressive desi packs. I wish I had a few of the female Indian flavor......Bollywood of course.

Two of the .50 cans came in today. I have begun their 8 days in quarantine.

I have crated ammo (surplus) on 4x4 and 2x6 platforms. I want to build a dedicated ammo can shelf with space for wheeled steel carts underneath for the crates. In welding class I made a wheeled steel cart as my "semester project" but since I don't have a welder of my own, I made three other carts out of wood. The steel is stronger with less height, hence its superiority. The carts work well under the workbench, and don't break my back trying to put those under/get those back out again.