Tommy Gun Shop   Crimsontrace   CrossBreed Holsters   Magnum Research new
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Federal Aluminum 45acp Ammo

yesterday local WM had a bunch of the 100rd boxes of aluminum on the shelf, it makes a great product for those who don't reload & just like to target shoot.
    BOB

Nothing but brass for me................................................ .

I have several boxes of the the 45 230 that I ran through a new PM45 during break in....I had 3 ftf from light primer strikes.....I had zero issues with other brass cased ammo I used.....2 of the 3 ftf after numerous restrikes that looked to be sufficient to ignite primer.....I don't know whether the light strikes were primer related or gun related, but the brass cased ammo all had perfectly indented spent primers...

Sounds primer related to me.

If your getting sufficient hits, it should go.

I usually shoot brass of late but have no issued with the aluminum stuff. Shot a lot of it in the past.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

Yes....I have shot a lot of it in my 1911's with no issues either, my Les Baer and Springfield Trophy Match especially love the stuff. I had never owned a Kahr and found an unusually great deal on a CM9 on Gunbroker, and loved it so much I immediately found another great deal on a PM45 and bought it...I love it!!! Low recoil impulse for such a light 45 and on our big steel plate range at the FOP, if I missed one I don't remember. Amazing how you can enjoy shooting a $300 pistol more than a 2K Baer....although I like them all. As soon as I get another couple hundred rounds through the PM45, and make sure no issues, it will be in my carry rotation for sure. I kinda feel about the Kahrs like I did about my Freedom Arms 454 after I got it....how have I not owned one of these in my 63 years !!!

It was very difficult to find brass back in the Obamo days, as we all recall. I remember trading powder for some 9mm brass, it was that bad. But, the scrap bucket at our range always had a nice bunch of AL cases for the taking. I would grab bagfuls and take them home to sort out and pitch the berdan primed cases. I remember the headstamp contained the letters "NR", which probably didn't stand for nice to reload. I avoided the 40sw AL cases. I always tended to load on the light side so I never had any issues at all with the aluminum. In fact, they were a pleasure to process. Almost effortless resizing, but be careful not to over flare the case mouth because it would tear. I would never reload the AL cases more than one time, and I would know that because I use the yellow WIN primers. Like Eskimo moms teach their kids never to eat yellow snow, I never reloaded AL cases with yellow primers.

Thankfully those days are behind us. It's easy to find bucket loads of brass cheap or free so I should never have to reload AL cases again (except for those couple hundred I have primed and ready for powder and bullet).

FWIW, I am on my fourth reload of a few aluminum cases, just to see how far I could go. No problems so far. This may be straying a bit from the original (old) post, but just presented as a point of information.

So one can reload aluminum cases? That's pretty neat.

I wonder if that will vary by the manufacturer of the aluminum cases. I just picked up 500rds of Blazer .45 230gr. ball. Be nice to know it can be saved for someone.

Some of the original aluminum cases had Berdan primers, and were not readily reloadable. Most of them now have Boxer primers, so load away. As noted above, don’t get real aggressive with the case mouths, and they should last through several reloadings.