Xssights   Tommy Gun Shop   Mitch Rosen   Crimsontrace
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Battery Died

Default Battery Died

Quote Originally Posted by OldLincoln View Post
    Just a question here as I don't have the laser. If it went off when you needed it how would it affect your aim? My son convinced me not to get them when he was in academy, but every fed cop show seems to have them. Also I tried one out and it was terrific, plus I have the practice laser which works well when I get around to practicing.
    Mine didn't die all at once. I knew the batteries needed to be replaced because the laser was getting gradually dimmer. I should probably do what Alfonse does and replace them once a year whether they need it or not.
    Rest in peace Muggsy

"Individual Muslims may show splendid qualities, but the influence of the religion paralyses the social development of those who follow it. No stronger retrograde force exists in the world." Winston Churchill 1899

Quote Originally Posted by garyb View Post
    The replacement batteries arrived within 5 days. Great service and products from Crimson Trace in my opinion.
    This thread reminded me to email for my yearly batteries. Mine also came within a week. Have a laser on my Kahr K9 and a Beretta 92. A great asset on two great guns.

Just a question here as I don't have the laser. If it went off when you needed it how would it affect your aim?
    The laser doesn't replace your iron sights, but rather it enhances the iron sight.
    Judging by today's left wing, looks like Senator Joe McCarthy was right after all.

I'm trying to get people to think about changing their laser batteries, every year when the time changes off Daylight Savings Time. Just like many of us use that as a reminder to change the batteries in our smoke detectors. I figure the fall change works best, as the nights are getting longer and the criminals are out at Christmas time ripping people off at the malls.
    Tom
    Live today, tomorrow may not come!
    Boberg XR9S
    Kahr CW40
    Springfield Armory 1911
    Dan Wesson Revolver

HY*NDAI is to cars, what Caracal, Hi-Point, and Jennings is to handguns. The cars may or may not run ok, but the corporation SUCKS.

I change my EoTech Batteries every 180 days. Here is where smartphones with calendar functions come in very handy.
    Wake Up...Grow Up...Show Up...Sit Up...Shut Up...Listen Up

Quote Originally Posted by TheTman View Post
    I'm trying to get people to think about changing their laser batteries, every year when the time changes off Daylight Savings Time. Just like many of us use that as a reminder to change the batteries in our smoke detectors. I figure the fall change works best, as the nights are getting longer and the criminals are out at Christmas time ripping people off at the malls.
    For some reason, February is when I change all the batteries in lasers, flashlights, and devices for things that might go boom in the night. I do the smoke detectors, other alarms and instruments in the spring time change. But, that job is so awful, requiring three ladders and half a day, I would rather not mix it with the happier job of changing CTL and other batteries.

Hmmmm funny woman always seem to have spare batteries.....
    Walmart sells the CT type battery in the Jewelery dept for about $4...
    My New Web Store!
    www.teampython.com
    __________________________________________________ _____
    The loudest sound in the world is a “click” when you need a “bang.”

Upstate NY - (nothing like NYC). In remote country with thousands of acres of hunting.

Quote Originally Posted by OldLincoln View Post
    Just a question here as I don't have the laser. If it went off when you needed it how would it affect your aim? My son convinced me not to get them when he was in academy, but every fed cop show seems to have them. Also I tried one out and it was terrific, plus I have the practice laser which works well when I get around to practicing.
    Good question. When the laser is sighted in, it will show on the top of your front sight. You can sight it in for what ever distance you wish. I sight mine in for 15 yrds. Simply line up your iron sights and adjust the laser to sit on top of your front sight...that simple.

With that said, if your laser goes off for any reason, you still have your sights. It does not in any way affect your aim. In dim to poor light, you can use just your laser if you wish....or you can still use your night sights. In bright light, you probably won't see your laser anyway...of course at which time you don't need it anyway...because you have your sights. However, at very close distances (under 10 yrds) in bright light, you can usually see your laser and use it. To answer your question in another way, the laser is a second sighting system to compliment and work with your sights. The laser in NO WAY takes anything away from your sights or the normal use of your sights. I hope this answer helps.
    My Sword - PM4044N/CTL/Talons
    - "One should diligently train at all times." Miyamoto Musashi
    - "Train in technique until it requires no thought - no mind and just happens." Takan Soho
    - "The truth beyond the technique....Here's where we stop thinking and start shooting." Brian Enos
    - "A single sword against the cold sky." Yamaoka Tesshu
    - "You must concentrate upon and consecrate yourself wholly to each day, as though a fire were raging in your hair."
    Taisen Deshimaru
    - "Know your sword!"

Upstate NY - (nothing like NYC). In remote country with thousands of acres of hunting.

Everyone is correct. With routine dry fire use (5 min a day), the batteries will last about a year. Changing them every year is a good idea. The suggestion to change them at a preset date every year is a good one too. If you are using your laser daily for dry fire practice, you will quickly note any changes in it and quickly realize the need to change out your battery. I notice it because it will fade out as you hold the switch in the "On" position. It will start out bright and slowly fade out when the batteries are ready to be replaced (yearly).. Great training tool. Great SD tool. But I understand that it is not for everyone. If you have any questions about the application of a CTL, simply call them and ask for their free DVD's. You will soon be convinced of their applications.
    - "Train in technique until it requires no thought - no mind and just happens." Takan Soho
    - "The truth beyond the technique....Here's where we stop thinking and start shooting." Brian Enos
    - "You must concentrate upon and consecrate yourself wholly to each day, as though a fire were raging in your hair."
    Taisen Deshimaru
    - "Know your sword!"

Hence the rationale not to use a laser. I was in the military and learned that batteries only fail at the worst possible moment.

Unreliable tech is an issue.

Quote Originally Posted by CPTKILLER View Post
    Hence the rationale not to use a laser. I was in the military and learned that batteries only fail at the worst possible moment.

Unreliable tech is an issue.
    If you don't have a laser, you have sights. If your laser fails, you have sights. If you have both a laser and sights, you have a laser and sights. The technology is also reliable. I have been using one for 4 yrs and it has been flawless. Therefore, I'd disagree. But if you don't use one, I understand and you have a right to your opinion too.
    Taisen Deshimaru
    - "Know your sword!"