Tommy Gun   Crimsontrace   Kahr Shop   Tommy Gun Shop

Thread: P45 question

Default P45 question

I've bought a used P45 - s/n SB1022 - and I'm trying to find out the production year. Does anyone know of an up-to-date Kahr s/n list? I've searched the internet including the lists that are posted in here from the Glocktalk Forum - http://www.kahrtalk.com/showthread.p...+serial+number. That list evidently is not current enough to include my P45.

Here's all there is for P45:

45 ACP SN's
    SA09xx - P45 - Nov 2005
    SA129x - P45 - Dec 2005
    SA13xx - P45 - January 2006

Now I've shot the above-mentioned P45. It shoots fine but has an extraction (probably extractor) problem - the gun fails to feed the next round (and jams, of course) because the previous empty case is still in the chamber. It happened with both my hand loads and factory ammo. Is this a "characteristic problem" in the P45 or can I assume that the extractor is hosed and needs to be replaced? Maybe someone could suggest a place where I could read pointers in analyzing this problem. (?)

Heres a few things i can think of:
    Make sure the chamber is really clean
    With the slide off, slide a round up the breach face under the extractor and see if it will hold the round. It should.
    Make sure its nice and clean behind the little extractor claw
    Wiggle thd extractor and make sure the spring seems strong enough.

I'm syrd theres more to check.
    The only thing better than having all the guns and ammo you'd ever need would be being able to shoot it all off the back porch.

Want to see what will be the end of our country as we know it???
    Visit here:
    http://www.usdebtclock.org/

Thanks, yqtszhj. I've definitely got something wrong with the extractor. Somewhere between the range and getting home the extractor fell out - I haven't been able to find it so I don't know exactly when I lost it. (That's a new one on me.) I've never had any problems like that or any other with my other two Kahrs. I'll order a new extractor, spring and front and back pins and replace the entire assembly.

Sounds like you're on it. Once you replace those parts you may be good to go. Sounds like something just broke. It happens.
    The only thing better than having all the guns and ammo you'd ever need would be being able to shoot it all off the back porch.

Want to see what will be the end of our country as we know it???
    Visit here:
    http://www.usdebtclock.org/

Quote Originally Posted by jblackfish View Post
    I've bought a used P45 - s/n SB1022 - and I'm trying to find out the production year. Does anyone know of an up-to-date Kahr s/n list? I've searched the internet including the lists that are posted in here from the Glocktalk Forum - http://www.kahrtalk.com/showthread.p...+serial+number. That list evidently is not current enough to include my P45.

Here's all there is for P45:

45 ACP SN's
    SA09xx - P45 - Nov 2005
    SA129x - P45 - Dec 2005
    SA13xx - P45 - January 2006

If you go to the last page in the serial number thread, you'll see
    Quote Originally Posted by larryz View Post
    SB22xx - P45 - Oct 2012 (purch Jul 2014)
    It's my entry, and I got the manufacture date by sending Jay an email at Kahr. You could do the same and use the opportunity to discuss your failure to extract issue.

You can examine the extractor hook closely under magnification - see if its been chipped or altered.

Strip down the slide. Clean al the extractor components. Examine them - two pins, spring, channel, for previous alteration (aka goobering).

Make sure that chamber is clean. Usually, problems occur on recoil with failure to eject. Is it possible the case is feeding right back into the chamber instead of getting ejected? Low power ammo would do that, and Kahrs prefer full house loads.

(edit) Well, I just saw the extractor fell out! Forget all I said... except for reference

Thanks to everyone for the help - thanks to larryz for the tip on how he got his date.
    From Kahr: SB1022 P45 was January, 2010.

There we go -- another serial number on the timeline!

Please delete this post....
    Last edited by jblackfish; 10-07-2014 at 11:45 AM.