Kahr Shop   Crimsontrace   Tommy Gun   CrossBreed Holsters

Thread: Question about servicing, changing springs, slide return, and rail damage!

Default Question about servicing, changing springs, slide return, and rail damage!

Hello,

I am new here, own 2 Kahrs and I am buying a third (MK9). Currently own the PM9 and the K9. I have bought all of them used.
    The K9 has given me ZERO problems regardless of ammo or conditions.

I have a few random questions:
    1) The PM9 has been pretty solid for a small polymer pistol but the slide often does not stay locked back after the last shot... anyone else experienced that? What did you do to fix it?
    2) The PM9 is newer, but the K9 and the MK9 are a little older, the K9 I think may even be from the 90s. Like I said I bought them used... should I replace the springs on them? What are the recommendations for servicing Kahrs and what springs should be replaced? I have seen the spring kit on Kahrs website which includes the: trigger bar spring, slide stop spring, slide stop spring screw, magazine catch spring, recoil assembly, striker spring, striker block spring, and extractor spring.
    3) I am buying an MK9 Elite03 and I am going to order wood grips for it... should I also order the stainless steel guide rod at the same time? Do they all have plastic guide rods and do the plastic rods ever fail? The spring kit for the MK9 says it comes with the "recoil assembly" so I am assuming this includes another plastic guide rod, it's a shame they don't offer it with the SS rod.
    4) The internal frame of my PM9 has been damaged (and it has low round count) in the area immediately to the right (when standing behind the gun) of the feed ramp (approximately the area that the ejector sits against when the breech is closed). Has anyone noticed this area getting chewed up? I figured it was from the slide slamming back down without the resistance of another round to reduce its momentum (I do a lot of dry fires).

Thanks! I have used this forum many times but have never joined!
    Last edited by Kahr9; 09-19-2014 at 01:59 PM.

Default Question about servicing, changing springs, slide return, and rail damage!

Are you sure you are not thumbing the slide release/stop? With the k9 the grips stick out and sorta block your thumb from riding the slide stop. Does the slide lock back with an empty mag when you pull the slide back manually? With the pm9 being so small I bet you're getting that thumb in the way.

As far as the springs I would focus on the recoil and striker spring.
    This place isn't safe.

I'm a firm believer in if it ain't broken don't fix it. Been so long I've forgotten but I think 12 to 15000 rounds is the recommended recoil spring replacement schedule but I don't even adhere to that.

Unless one breaks the recoil spring is about the only one that will ever need replaced and if your having cycling issues that's the place to start. Your slide failing to lock open could be an out of adjustment slide lock spring, or loose screw on same.

The guide rod is your personal choice. The factory plastic will run till the cows come home. That being said I did put a stainless guide rod in my K40.

If you desire to swap the striker spring you can order the 5# replacement for a slightly lighter trigger pull, it's still completely safe and reliable, travel stays the same and frankly most folks don't notice the difference in pull but it depends a lot on where your trigger pull is now. Mine was on the light end of the 6# scale so when new the 5# didn't make a ton of difference, it did like any spring break in and got a little better.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

Thanks for the info folks. Healer, I think you may be right! I just grabbed my PM9 and "assumed the position"... sure enough my rear thumb was right on the slide release lever.
    Bawanna, I am going to adopt your thinking... especially at $50 for a set of optional parts. I think I will spring (heh heh) for the SS guiderod though, mainly for aesthetics.

I edited my original post to reflect this... but... the damage to the frame of my PM9 is actually to the plastic immediately to the right (when standing behind the gun) of the feed ramp (approximately the area the ejector sits against when the breech is closed).

One more question: Do you know of anyone besides Kahr and Bawanna (just kidding... PM sent) that makes grips for the MK9 or K9? I wish VZ made some G10 grips for them.

I just responded to your PM. I honestly don't know anyone besides kahr and myself that make Kahr grips. I've been still experiencing fit issues as I explained.

I don't do G10.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

Quote Originally Posted by Kahr9 View Post
    Thanks for the info folks. Healer, I think you may be right! I just grabbed my PM9 and "assumed the position"... sure enough my rear thumb was right on the slide release lever.
    Bawanna, I am going to adopt your thinking... especially at $50 for a set of optional parts. I think I will spring (heh heh) for the SS guiderod though, mainly for aesthetics.

I edited my original post to reflect this... but... the damage to the frame of my PM9 is actually to the plastic immediately to the right (when standing behind the gun) of the feed ramp (approximately the area the ejector sits against when the breech is closed).

One more question: Do you know of anyone besides Kahr and Bawanna (just kidding... PM sent) that makes grips for the MK9 or K9? I wish VZ made some G10 grips for them.
    Join the club....................there are many folks who wished that SOMEONE made different grips for MK9's.......................VZ would be a good choice if they made them. I think that they would look great on Kahr firearms. I go with the Wolff recoil spring assembly. SS guide rods weigh a tad more than plastic. IMHO, ANY extra weight towards the front end is good in my book.

Upstate NY - (nothing like NYC). In remote country with thousands of acres of hunting.

Quote Originally Posted by Bawanna View Post
    I'm a firm believer in if it ain't broken don't fix it. Been so long I've forgotten but I think 12 to 15000 rounds is the recommended recoil spring replacement schedule but I don't even adhere to that.

Unless one breaks the recoil spring is about the only one that will ever need replaced and if your having cycling issues that's the place to start. Your slide failing to lock open could be an out of adjustment slide lock spring, or loose screw on same.
    +1 on that. I totally agree. I have not changed any parts on my PM40 since I purchased it 4 yrs ago. Still shoots like magic. Other than shooting, cleaning and carrying it regularly, I won't touch any parts until it starts to fail me. Why mess with perfection.
    My Sword - PM4044N/CTL/Talons
    - "One should diligently train at all times." Miyamoto Musashi
    - "Train in technique until it requires no thought - no mind and just happens." Takan Soho
    - "The truth beyond the technique....Here's where we stop thinking and start shooting." Brian Enos
    - "A single sword against the cold sky." Yamaoka Tesshu
    - "You must concentrate upon and consecrate yourself wholly to each day, as though a fire were raging in your hair."
    Taisen Deshimaru
    - "Know your sword!"