CrossBreed Holsters   Magnum Research new   Tommy Gun   Mitch Rosen
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: MK9 - Guide rod question...

Default MK9 - Guide rod question...

I ordered an MK9, don't have it yet. Should be here by next week.

I've been reading the forum and see many people buy a stainless guide rod for their MK9. Is the stock rod plastic? Or blue steel? The stock unit looks like some kind of captured unit, is that what it is? Can someone post a picture of the stainless rod setup outside the gun?

Thanks

I assume one end of this unscrews so you can get the inner spring on and off. I have a Kimber Ultra, is the recoil assembly similar to those.? And it says may require fitting? What has to be fit on a guide rod?

Quote Originally Posted by davcar45 View Post
    I ordered an MK9, don't have it yet. Should be here by next week.

I've been reading the forum and see many people buy a stainless guide rod for their MK9. Is the stock rod plastic? Or blue steel? The stock unit looks like some kind of captured unit, is that what it is? Can someone post a picture of the stainless rod setup outside the gun?

Thanks

I assume one end of this unscrews so you can get the inner spring on and off. I have a Kimber Ultra, is the recoil assembly similar to those.? And it says may require fitting? What has to be fit on a guide rod?
    I have a stainless guide rod for my MK40 Elite.
    Is the stock rod plastic? Or blue steel? Plastic.
    I assume one end of this unscrews so you can get the inner spring on and off. That's correct.
    And it says may require fitting? Mine didn't require any fitting.

I took the spring off the OEM plastic RSA and put it on the SS one.
    Added lock tight to the top cap and screwed it back on.
    IMHO it looks sweet, but there's nothing really wrong with the OEM unit.

Thanks Barth

One more question. When replacing recoil springs, do you have to buy the entire recoil assembly from Kahr for $14 or can you just buy the inner and outer springs.

Wolff springs says their recoil spring sets are an inner and outer spring, non captured and meant to work with Wolff guide rod components.

RECOIL SPRINGS MK-9, MK-40Fits Kahr MK-9, MK-40 Only
    Recoil Springs - Wolff recoil springs for the Kahr MK9 and MK40 are matched sets of inner and outer springs. Extra power spring sets help improve recoil function in these pistols. Springs are for use with Wolff Guide Rod Components. Springs are non-captive for easy changes on Wolff guide rods listed below. A replacement factory strength striker spring is included. Please Note: Not for use in PM (Polymer) series pistols.

• Reduced Power...: 18.5 Lb.
    • Factory Standard.: 20.5 Lb.
    • Extra Power.........: 22.5 & 24.5 Lb.

Quote Originally Posted by Barth View Post
    I have a stainless guide rod for my MK40 Elite.
    Is the stock rod plastic? Or blue steel? Plastic.
    I assume one end of this unscrews so you can get the inner spring on and off. That's correct.
    And it says may require fitting? Mine didn't require any fitting.

I took the spring off the OEM plastic RSA and put it on the SS one.
    Added lock tight to the top cap and screwed it back on.
    IMHO it looks sweet, but there's nothing really wrong with the OEM unit.
    Got a pic?

I tried to take a pic for you, but my camera was dead............................................th e Wolff guide rod and spring set looks just like the original, except it's not captured. Approx. 4" long. Same as original except it all comes apart separately. Easier to clean and replace springs, and no screws......................

Most people when the time comes to replace recoil springs just replace the outer spring anyhow.

The less you remove that captive nut on the end the better. And remember the loc tite and check it periodically.

I've no experience with the Wolff guide rod system but it sounds like a good thing.

Kahrs springs are made by Wolff so it's all still in the family.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

I ordered a stainless steel one from Kahr. It looks so much better IMO.

So how is everyone destroying the plastic and not affecting the spring? I want to do either the Wolff or Kahr or TCS Guns option, but if I risk boogering up a spring the Wolff package seems like the way to go.

When I first got my mk9 & mk40 I wanted the $50 guide rods too. 3+ years later the plastic ones have worked fine. I WAS going to lock the slide back & then clip the plastic end off of the rod then take the gun down & remove the springs. I read where you could also put the RSA in a vice take a skinny metal rod insert it in the hole in front & tap the end off.

Thank you! Put in and lock slide back. Makes sense and easy. And take care disassembling to avoid the spring(s) flying.