CrossBreed Holsters   Crimsontrace   Xssights   Magnum Research new
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PM9 Slide Locking Back Before the Mag is Empty

Default PM9 Slide Locking Back Before the Mag is Empty

Hello Kahr owners,

I am very, very close to purchasing my first Kahr, a PM9. I live in California and am limited to only those handguns on the "Approved" roster. The PM9 is on the list while the CM9 is not.

I REALLY like the PM9. I have handled it multiple times at local gun shops. There is only one range in my area that offers the PM9 as a rental. I have rented the PM9, along with the M&P Shield on two occasions for a side to side shooting comparison.

On each of these two rental experiences the PM9 displayed the same malfunction. The slide locked back on the 2nd or 3rd round of a full magazine. This range gun used Kahr's 7 round extended mag.

Is this malfunction common to the PM/CM 9 model? Is it common to all Kahrs?

I have considered that this might be a limp wresting issue, although I really felt that I did have a firm two handed grip on the weapon. Would the slide lock back even be a symptom of limp wresting....I have also considered that my thumb may have pressed up agains the slide release/lock lever during the recoil (design flaw?).

The PM9 is very expensive. The best price I can find in my part of CA is $699, at that price I expect a quality product. I have spent hours and hours on the web researching sub-compact 9mm handguns. Initially the many negative comments about the CM/PM9 concerned me but I felt much better after discovering KahrTalk and reading through the post here, from statisfied owners. However, my two range rental experiences have renewed my concerns. The price point on the PM9 is just so darn high...

I would appreciate hearing from those of you who own or have a lot of experience with the PM/CM9 models.

I may also, now consider the CW9 (also on the CA roster). It is similar in size to the M&P Shield and costs much less than the PM9. I will post my questions about the CW9 on another thread.

Thank you.

Premature slide lock sometimes occurs with Kahr pistols if the rounds move forward in the mag and they make contact with the slide lock mechanism. This has not been a problem with my CM9 (800 rounds through the gun). I actually had my first premature slide lock back with that gun the last time I fired it - could be that my thumb hit the lever. It's not something I would worry too much about as it can generally be fixed by sanding a tiny bit off the mechanism.

muggsy: Let's face it, being shot by a .380 will ruin anyone's day.

Sometimes, the choice of ammo along with the inevitable ammo tilt in the magazine gets that bullet ogive area just basically tapping the edge of the slide stop.

This can be solely ammo related, or require very slight mod of the slide stops contact area.

I won't say Kahr is prone to that, but it does happen once in a while. I've got three, a 9 and two 45's... no defects at all in that respect, or any other for that matter.

Hard to tell what a range gun has went through or how it wasw maintainede even. so I would not put alot of crediability into that gun being bad, but maybe more abused and not properly service. Limp wristing has nadda to do with prematrue slide locking open. Go ahead and buy the PM9, it is the best aroond, do the kahr prep guide on this forum and the kahr lube guide on this forum and u will be fine. Give the gun a couple hundreed rounds to smooth things out. Shoot good new American ade ammo for breakin in. the p;ropper prepping guide is a real helpful prep. If u readit and check out all things ask of you, ur firse range trip will be successful. Don't assume nutting, check the things out that u can check out. We have seen magazine springs in backwards. u can eliminate that kby just checking the magazine out, aghain this has nadda to do with prematrue slide lock either, but it will effect reliability. Buy the gun, shoot it like u stole it andif u have any questions or little glitchs, come back here. These guys are sharp, they know kahrs..Just sayin I own two PMJ9 kahrs and none have ever given me one issue, but I did the pre prepp and made sure all things were working like theyt should before I fired that first round..
    . My PM9 has over 40,000+ rounds through it, and runs much better than an illegal trying to get across our border

NRA BENEFACTOR MEMBER

MAY GOD BLESS MUGGSY

During the initial break-in, I had a couple of occasions where the slide of my PM9 unexpectedly locked back after the second or third shot. Once or twice the slide also failed to stay open after the last shots. However, all of those slide stop issues completely worked themselves out after a couple hundred rounds without any special work or tweaking. My PM9's slide stop has been working perfectly for the last 2,100 rounds.

Find a dealer that will perform SSE in California and then you can have practically any off roster firearm. Come January 2015, SSE goes away though. I'm planning on buying a CM9.

Quote Originally Posted by glacierhiker View Post
    I have also considered that my thumb may have pressed up agains the slide release/lock lever during the recoil (design flaw?).
    Probably this, if you keep a high thumb you can also prevent it from locking back on the last round.
    No design flaw....just a byproduct of small pistols.
    If a sign could stop evil….They’d make holsters for them!!

I had a couple of premature slide lock backs after shooting some NATO rounds. While cleaning afterwards, I noticed the screw for the slide stop spring had backed off slightly. I snugged it up and have had no more problems with premature slide lock backs.

There is a sticky on how to adjust the spring that holds the slide stop in the down position. Read it. It could answer all of your questions.
    Never trust anyone who doesn't trust you to own a gun.

Life Member - NRA
    Colt Gold Cup 70 series
    Colt Woodsman
    Ruger Mark III .22-45
    Kahr CM9
    Kahr P380

I have posted this before, and I know that some here do not agree:

Degrease the inside of your magazines. ANY oil in the inside makes it that much easier for the rounds to slide forward on recoil.
    This cured my PSL issues completely.