Magnum Research new   Tommy Gun Shop   CrossBreed Holsters   Kahr Shop
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Got my new MK9, range report etc.

Default Got my new MK9, range report etc.

Yesterday the MK9 I ordered arrived at the local gun shop. My first Kahr pistol, I have never fired one before. Before the gun arrived I made the decision I wanted the SS guide rod so I ordered that from Kahr and it's been here a few days before I got the pistol. Since I wasn't able to get to the range yesterday I made the decision to go ahead and install the SS guide rod. A little scary since you basically destroy the rod it came with and use the parts to assemble the stainless rod. What I did to disassemble the old rod was cut a piece of wire coat hanger about an inch or two longer than the plastic factory assembly. I stuck the piece of coat hander in the hole, then used a hammer to punch the cap that keeps the spring captive out of the plastic rod. I think it took two hits and it was apart. I was surprised actually how easy it came apart and decided it was probably a good decision to replace the plastic. Glad I did it.

I did have to fit the stainless rod. It fit through the slide no problem however the rod was to long. It stuck out far enough that it looked bad. The little steel button that threads in the end of the rod was outside the hole in the slide it should sit in. Almost longer than the barrel. I shortened the rod a little bit at a time with a file. It looks good now.

I cleaned everything up last night, lubed it up and today I went to the range. The trigger was a new experience for me, I have never felt anything like it. It will take some getting used to, just the long pull etc. It is smooth but it was tough to stay on target through that long pull. I found if I prepped the trigger, meaning stroke it to near the full length of the pull then concentrate on front sight alignment I did better.

I put 250 rounds through the gun. 1 stoppage in which the empty got caught horizontally between the barrel hood and the breach face. This could have been induced by me trying to relax grip enough to get comfortable with the trigger. Happened about half way through the 250 rds. No other issues. One thing, I used blue thread locker to hopefully keep the end of the SS rod from unscrewing. That didn't work. It was loose after two magazines. I just tightened it by hand after each mag and kept shooting. The gun fed, extracted and ejected everything but the one I explained above. 50- FMJ PMC Bronze, 50- Remington UMC, 40- Federal HST 124gr standard pressure, 10- 147 gr Gold Dot standard pressure and 100 of my 115gr FMJ reloads. I have a lot of confidence that the gun is and will continue to be reliable. I shot everything at 21'(7 yards) today all on 9" paper plates. Recoil is not a problem, the gun is very shootable. Trigger finger did start to have pain somewhere between 150-175 rounds. Was just getting uncomfortable to shoot. Understandable from such a small gun. Only had the 3 mags it came with so that took a toll on my trigger finger as well. Mags are tight with new springs. Getting the 5th and 6th rounds or 6th and 7th rounds in with the tight new springs started to take it's toll.

On the guid rod, I guess I am going to have to use red loctite on that to keep it from unscrewing. Was trying to avoid that but on such a small screw I should be able to get it unscrewed to change the springs without to much trouble.

So overall, I like the pistol. It is pretty much everything I expected. I am a 1911 guy and shoot those a lot and even though I have traditional double action pistols, Sigs etc, most times I shoot those single action. So it's just going to take some time behind this gun for me to be able to group consistently with it. I've shot enough different firearms I know I can master it with time.

I'll get it cleaned up and post some pictures later tonight, if nothing else to show how the guide rod looked before I fit it. Other than that, it looks like any other MK9 with black grips. It is a well made pistol.

The courtship is off to a good start. I predict a long and happy marriage.

Nicely written report.
    NRA Life Member

"Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician." -Col Jeff Cooper

You should have purchased the Wolff guide rod and spring set up. Muuuuuuuuuuuuuuch easier..........................

Quote Originally Posted by berettabone View Post
    You should have purchased the Wolff guide rod and spring set up. Muuuuuuuuuuuuuuch easier..........................

Well easier initially in the sense no fitting is required and in the sense that springs are easily changed. But it doesn't look near as good as the SS rod. IMO. Who knows, I might get the Wolff set up too.

If the red loctite doesn't hold the end on I'm definitely going to get the Wolff because I don't want to be worried about the thing unscrewing.

Nice write up davcar45! I shot my new to me MK9 earlier in the week. I also had a couple of the "captured" failure to ejects like you had the one of. Best I can tell, as break in continues, this should mitigate itself. I was shooting WWB FMJ 115 grain when mine happened, and I was relaxing my grip as I was over a hundred rounds into the session, so I cannot blame the pistol....

I have to say, being your first Kahr pistol, I am glad to see you do not have a bunch of negative "why isn't this like my other pistol" dogma going on. I for one appreciate that positive attitude. The trigger will spoil you, and make you better with your other triggers.

Cant wait to see the photos...
    Comparison is the thief of Joy....

CW380
    MK9

Quote Originally Posted by ReManG View Post
    The trigger will spoil you, and make you better with your other triggers.
    ^^^^ well said!

I too appreciate the positive attitude. Good things come to good people. Welcome davcar45.
    ​O|||||||O

Quote Originally Posted by ReManG View Post
    The trigger will spoil you, and make you better with your other triggers.
    Of that I have no doubt. I found myself concentrating on trigger control more today than in a long time.

Quick shot/representation of how the guide rod stuck out before I fit it. Maybe not quite that far but pretty close. I filed enough off that the button still sticks out a little, maybe half of it is now recessed into the slide. I put red loctite on the threads tonight when I put it back together. It may never come apart again. LOL! I've got a torch, I can heat it if I have to I guess.

And here it is after I fitted the guide rod:

Last edited by davcar45; 01-13-2015 at 09:26 PM.

That would not be too bad, if you were making target contact shots... the slide would not go out of battery as you press it into the target... Looks like you got it fixed though...

The MK9 I got had the XS Big Dot sights, so I was learning those as well, really had to pay attention to my trigger actuation. I hate to say it, but the MK9 trigger is smoother than my CW380 trigger, not that there is anything wrong with the CW380 trigger...Perhaps it is just my perception...

Keep us up to date on your trigger training with the Kahr, especially after you master the Kahr trigger and then you go back to a Single Action trigger, you may be surprised....

CW380
    MK9

I'll take some other pictures tomorrow during the daytime that shows the pistol with finished guide rod. The iPhone 5 takes decent pictures with open shade outdoor light. Inside it sucks for gun pics.

I actually tired it as a "stand off device" and it worked. But I couldn't get over the look which is why I switched it in the first place. Haha.

On a side note. My mother-in-law gave me a Ruger LC9 that was my father-in-laws. He passed, she didn't want it. It was stuck down in his recliner between the cushion and the side of the chair, loaded with one in the pipe and she had no idea how to unload the gun. Ended up taking it to a LGS to unload it for her, I'm 3 hours away. Anyway, she gave it to me.

I shot a couple mags through it today. Side by side with this MK9. It's an awful and painful pistol to shoot. Of course I had already fired 150 through the Kahr at the time and my hand was starting to get sore so maybe next time I'll shoot some through the LC9 first. In any case, I'll keep it and let my students shoot it who think they want a cheap plastic pocket gun. It can be a lesson in what not to buy. I like steel guns if you haven't noticed.

I had a KelTec P11 when they first came out, in stainless steel, yup that long ago. My first centerfire handgun was a Ruger SP101 in .357 Mag. I did not think the P11 would be an issue as it was "only" a 9mm..... Lesson learned, light 9mm's can hurt in ways that a .357 magnum snubbie cannot, the finger slap was so painful I quit shooting it before a box was done. I sold it and got a Glock 26 which was better for me, and the Kahrs were not as available back then... The MK9 is about ideal for me as a subcompact/micro 9mm shooter, emphasis on shooting ability... Practice is important.

I imagine the LC9 is similar to a P11 in recoil and finger slap.... I understand why you would let your students see the difference, it will be good for them in the long run...

CW380
    MK9