Tommy Gun   CrossBreed Holsters   Mitch Rosen   Crimsontrace
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 3LB Trigger Pull on My Remington R1...Oh My!

Default 3LB Trigger Pull on My Remington R1...Oh My!

I just finished with my 1st trigger job. It was about 3 weeks in the making so it was nothing I just jumped into. I gathered all the info I could wrap my brain around and proceeded to get all the tools, equipment, and even hung a gun tool cabinet in my man-cave/reloading/amature gunsmithing corner of the house. I hit a few bumps along the way. Some I was prepared for, others not-so-much.

I started out installing a new trigger, hammer, and beaver-tail grip safety. After doing so, I went to the range with 150 handloads. I had about 10% light primer strikes with a 5lb trigger pull. The new hammer was quite a bit lighter than the stock hammer; http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-VQXWENMLbU...%2BLog%2B1.JPG

I read that most stock 1911's have a 23lb hammer spring. I ordered a full range of hammer springs from Wolff ranging from 16lbs up to 30 lbs. I decided on a 25lb spring. The old spring was much shorter and weaker after only 1100 rounds. I installed the 25lb hammer spring and now I have a 7lb trigger pull. (not what I was after at all). In the mean time, I had ordered a Marvel Sear Jig from Brownell's still waiting to be tested. No instructions came with the jig, so I dug up as much info on the Internet as I could after emailing them for the instructions with no answer.

After getting my ceramic stones and a jeweler's lighted magnifying glass from Amazon, I began the journey of stoning the sear and hammer. I worked on it a few hours-a-day. The trigger was down to 6lbs with very little creep. (nice and crisp) Still not happy with the results, I continued working on the sear and hammer a little at a time. I was disassembling and reassembling this pistol at least a dozen times and the 80 series block safety crap was getting on my nerves! So I ditched them!

After getting rid of the 80 series safety stuff, I went for the lightest trigger pull. I adjusted the sear spring, disconnector spring, took the hammer feet to .020 and further stoned the sear with the super-fine stone and brought it to a mirror polish. I was hoping for a 4 1/2 - 4lb pull, but 3LBS on the nose???????????? HOLY CRAP!

I'll be taking it to the range in the next couple of days with only 2 rounds in the mag then progressing to a full 8 round mag in case this thing goes full auto on me. It will be easy to get to the 4lb pull from here by simply adjusting the sear and disconnector springs back to original.....but talk about a SWEET TRIGGER PULL with a crisp 25lb snap!!

THE TRIGGER GODS WERE WITH ME TONIGHT!
    Last edited by CC Hoosier; 10-09-2014 at 03:00 PM.

Nice! But do be careful with that. I know you will. I'm pretty chicken messing with trigger pulls.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

Quote Originally Posted by Bawanna View Post
    Nice! But do be careful with that. I know you will. I'm pretty chicken messing with trigger pulls.
    I just got back home from my 100 round outing at the range. I had no malfunctions and no full-auto experiences. It was the most accurate I have ever shot with this pistol. With that being said, I was very uncomfortable with this 3lb trigger with minimal travel. If I could describe it with just one word, it would be "SCARY." I'm sure bullseye shooters become accustomed to these hair triggers, but I'm NOT a bullseye shooter....far from it.

I will be re-adjusting the springs and lengthening the travel to get back to a comfortable 4-4 1/2 lb trigger pull. I do like the way the 25 lb hammer spring dimples the primers. There is no question my ammo will go bang now. (much like the depth of dimples made from my Glock).

Next on the agenda: The Ruger 70 Series Stainless Steel 1911 shown here: http://thetruthaboutguns.com/wp-cont...ck-1-SR911.jpg or a Stainless Steel Ruger 44 Magnum Super Blackhawk shown here: http://www.chuckhawks.com/ruger_supe...hawk_5inch.jpg

God, handguns are fun!

OOPS, I can only add another 1/2 pound to my trigger pull along with a little travel. I guess this will not be my carry weapon. This will be my very own "personal" range pistol for nobody else to shoot. This one will remain unloaded and locked up in my tool cabinet until range day. Now I'm forced to buy a winter-carry pistol.........Damn It!

I had a 45 go full auto on me for the last three rounds in the mag. The first shot hit the target, the second hit the juncture of the ceiling and the back wall and the third one hit the ceiling about ten feet in front of me. It's sure unnerving when it happens and you're not expecting it.
    Never trust anyone who doesn't trust you to own a gun.

Life Member - NRA
    Colt Gold Cup 70 series
    Colt Woodsman
    Ruger Mark III .22-45
    Kahr CM9
    Kahr P380

Quote Originally Posted by muggsy View Post
    I had a 45 go full auto on me for the last three rounds in the mag. The first shot hit the target, the second hit the juncture of the ceiling and the back wall and the third one hit the ceiling about ten feet in front of me. It's sure unnerving when it happens and you're not expecting it.
    I'm sure it is. That's why I put only 2 in the mag...then 3....then 4...then 5 .....then 6.....then 7.....and finally 8. It performed flawlessly through 100 rounds. The sear and hammer were stoned square. The hammer hooks were stoned to the plus side of .020. The secondary angle on the sear was stoned level across the sear as well all using a reputable jig and lighted magnification. I feel very confident with the trigger job even though it's my 1st one. I "do not" feel confident with anyone else shooting it. 3 1/2 lbs (on the nose) is a scary trigger pull when one is accustomed to 5-7lb stock trigger pulls on most 1911's and other semi-autos.

All my guns are carry guns.
    I love light triggers and have them on most all of them.
    Don't recommend that to most people.
    But just below 4 lbs is as low as it gets for me.
    3.9/3.8 lbs - now that's sweet.
    3.0? Holy Crap - not for me.

Empty pistol. Finger off trigger. Pull slide back. Lock it. Depress lock to drop slide. Did hammer follow?

Quote Originally Posted by CJB View Post
    Empty pistol. Finger off trigger. Pull slide back. Lock it. Depress lock to drop slide. Did hammer follow?
    Not too good if the hammer follows and continuously gets stopped at the half-cock notch. One work-around this is for right handed shooters to place the left forefinger on the slide stop and the left thumb on the hammer spur then depress the slide stop while holding the hammer captive. BTW, a 3.5 pound trigger pull is NRA "legal" for the .45 caliber match and a lot of shooters adjust their triggers to this without any adverse effects.
    Life member - NRA
    Life member - CA Rifle & Pistol Assn.
    SW desert rat

Still no issues after 500+ rounds. I finally did allow a friend at the range to shoot the pistol, but I made him keep his finger outside the trigger guard until it was pointed down range. He was accustomed to long 7lb trigger pulls. When I asked him,
    "How was it?" after shooting through a mag, he answered "Ridiculous." I didn't really know how to take his reply. Anyway, I LOVE this gun more than ever!