Mitch Rosen   Tommy Gun Shop   Kahr Shop   Xssights

Thread: New member with cw40

Default New member with cw40

Like title say I'm new with kahr. I was in the market for a new carry gun, I've always seen kahr around but never shot one or even held one. I've owned many type of guns but never a kahr so for the price I couldn't resist checking them out. So I went to the local gun shop and check out a ct9, my first impression was it's a good looking gun, the grip is 1911 like, and the trigger is fantastic for a D/A. As I was doing the paper work I look down and saw the cw40 and I always like the 40 so I switched to the cw40.

I went to the range today to shoot it for the first time. Wow it's accurate... but here come the problem. The mag started to drop on every 3-4 rounds. So went home and read up on it and contacted kahr by email hopefully they'll send me a new mag catch. Other than that I noticed the CW40 kicks like the mule nothing I couldn't handle but man it's harsh. I guess its to be expected for the light weight, size , and the 40 being a snappy round. I've shot the glock 22 for many years and the cw40 just make the g22 feel like a 9mm lol. I even let my friend shoot it and he gave me same impression, the first thing he mention was the accuracy and then the recoil (mag still dropped).

All that aside I do like the gun and planing on getting it fix and keeping it.

Quote Originally Posted by pubtart View Post
    . . . I went to the range today to shoot it for the first time. Wow it's accurate... but here come the problem. The mag started to drop on every 3-4 rounds. . .
    With the slide locked back, when you inserted the loaded magazine did you hear an audible CLICK when the magazine catch engaged and did you give the bottom of the magazine a tug to make sure the catch is fully engaged? During the break-in period, all of the parts are breaking-in and that includes the magazine catch. The magazine catch may get more reliable after a few more boxes of cartridges have been cycled through the pistol is what I'm saying.

Quote Originally Posted by marshal kane View Post
    With the slide locked back, when you inserted the loaded magazine did you hear an audible CLICK when the magazine catch engaged and did you give the bottom of the magazine a tug to make sure the catch is fully engaged? During the break-in period, all of the parts are breaking-in and that includes the magazine catch. The magazine catch may get more reliable after a few more boxes of cartridges have been cycled through the pistol is what I'm saying.
    Yup did all that. I even move the mag side to side. I removed the slide and inserted a mag with 4 or 3 rounds where the follower is at the mag catch. When I pushed the mag against the catch I can see the mag release moved in as if it will release, that or the mag catch its rubbing against the rounds as it moved up.

I talked to the kahr tech this morning and those guys are awesome. Told them my problem and they say okay we'll send you a new mag catch. From what Ive seen on this forum a new mag catch would fix it. Will update when it come in.

To lessen the felt recoil try a Hogue Handall jr grip sleeve. Works great. Love my CW40. Welcome to the forum.

I was trying to figure it out so I twisted the mag and I can see the mag release moved toward release then quickly twisted the mag the other way and click!! mag came off. hopefully the new mag catch would fix it.

Quote Originally Posted by pubtart View Post
    Yup did all that. I even move the mag side to side. I removed the slide and inserted a mag with 4 or 3 rounds where the follower is at the mag catch. When I pushed the mag against the catch I can see the mag release moved in as if it will release, that or the mag catch its rubbing against the rounds as it moved up.

I talked to the kahr tech this morning and those guys are awesome. Told them my problem and they say okay we'll send you a new mag catch. From what Ive seen on this forum a new mag catch would fix it. Will update when it come in.
    When you seat the magazine and hear the audible "click", can you still push the magazine in just a little bit? Is there still a little up and down slack after the magazine catch is engaged? If not, the magazine catch might not be fully engaging the catch slot in the magazine and thus being driven out of the slot during recoil. Hope your new magazine catch from Kahr solves your problem.

Quote Originally Posted by marshal kane View Post
    When you seat the magazine and hear the audible "click", can you still push the magazine in just a little bit? Is there still a little up and down slack after the magazine catch is engaged? If not, the magazine catch might not be fully engaging the catch slot in the magazine and thus being driven out of the slot during recoil. Hope your new magazine catch from Kahr solves your problem.
    Yup I double checked the mag. I just installed the new mag catch. They look the same but I guess we'll see. Maybe just need break in like previous post mentioned. I'm planing on going to the range after I port my slide and barrel. Just going to take a bit off the top of the slide the gun is already light as it is