Magnum Research new   Tommy Gun   CrossBreed Holsters   Xssights
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: My review of the Kahr CW380

Quote Originally Posted by DavidR View Post
    Unlike BubbasDually, my Kahr CW380 went bye-bye because it was plagued with battery failures whereas my LCP has fed, fired and ejected everything I've asked it to.
    That's a shame DavidR. The return to battery problem is very easy to fix.
    Never trust anyone who doesn't trust you to own a gun.

Life Member - NRA
    Colt Gold Cup 70 series
    Colt Woodsman
    Ruger Mark III .22-45
    Kahr CM9
    Kahr P380

Quote Originally Posted by muggsy View Post
    I haven't traded it yet so I'm open to suggestions on how to fix. I suspect that I'm not as mechanically capable as most of you so the fix could be over my head.

Kahr replaced the recoil springs, reworked the extractor and polished the feed ramp.

Dave

muggsy: Let's face it, being shot by a .380 will ruin anyone's day.

David, I'd say Hornady CD is good enough if that's what it likes to eat. Plenty people carry that, perhaps the majority for this gun. I'd rather carry Hornady in the CW380 than go with a gun that doesn't shoot as well overall (albeit a gun that will eat anything). With each cleaning, I stretch the recoil springs a little and lube the H out of the gun. I've found that as I have cumulatively put more rounds through the gun, the battery issue has progressively gotten better. I think some of the issues come from the gun being built "tight". It could be that this is a philosophy in that they design the guns to function best for the long haul, after that tightness is broken in (after 200 rounds or more), whereas other gun makers aim for the gun to shoot well at the beginning. If every gun loosens up after 200-500 rounds, then those other gun makers may peak out in performance early on. Now that said, Glock seems to get it right short and long term, and there are several CW380 issues like the slide lock and feed ramp that I think are poorly designed. The gun would be so much better with a less steep feed ramp. That steepness also must contribute to the battery failure since it adds significant resistance to the slide's return path. I suppose the gun length and barrel length limit the possibilities for a pocket gun, but I think a better feed ramp could be done. If Glock makes a 3/4 inch wide pocket 380, I'll switch, but until then, this gun really shoots well.

Who knows, maybe Hornady will come out with a plus P version, like Critical Duty, of the 380, and that will solve all penetration doubts.

Do tell?

Interested.

You're right. Drive to LGS, plunk down $300, leave with a Ruger LCP. Battery failures fixed.

muggsy: Let's face it, being shot by a .380 will ruin anyone's day.

Wait for it..wait for it....lcps have issues too....blah blah blah......
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidR View Post
    You're right. Drive to LGS, plunk down $300, leave with a Ruger LCP. Battery failures fixed.