CrossBreed Holsters   Magnum Research new   Tommy Gun   Tommy Gun Shop
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Powder Measure, What's your Pleasure?

Default Powder Measure, What's your Pleasure?

Old Muggsy is in the market for a new powder measure. My Herter's measure has seen better days. I'm torn between getting the Hornady or RCBS. Can any of you give me the pros and cons of either, or both? Is there a better option?
    Never trust anyone who doesn't trust you to own a gun.

Life Member - NRA
    Colt Gold Cup 70 series
    Colt Woodsman
    Ruger Mark III .22-45
    Kahr CM9
    Kahr P380

Muggsy, check with www.Amazon.com as they have user reviews on both units. I like both manufacturers and think both turn out quality products. I've never used the Hornady measure as I bought the RCBS Uniflow in 1963 and have continued to use it since. When I bought mine, I got the one with both large (for rifle) and small (for pistol) powder drums. From what is readily apparent at Amazon, the RCBS is the pricier of the two but I don't think you can go wrong with either measure.

Glad I waited for someone else to post. For some reason I was thinking scale no measure.

I use the RCBS Uniflow with those two drums for my single stage rock chucker, a whole lot of trouble free years.

I have the Hornady on my progressive Lok N Load and it has be trouble free also. Doubt you can go wrong with either one but I imagine if anyone can have troubles it would you. More than two moving parts and all.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

Quote Originally Posted by Bawanna View Post
    Glad I waited for someone else to post. For some reason I was thinking scale no measure.

I use the RCBS Uniflow with those two drums for my single stage rock chucker, a whole lot of trouble free years.

I have the Hornady on my progressive Lok N Load and it has be trouble free also. Doubt you can go wrong with either one but I imagine if anyone can have troubles it would you. More than two moving parts and all.
    Touche! That's French for you got me.

Life Member - NRA
    Colt Gold Cup 70 series
    Colt Woodsman
    Ruger Mark III .22-45
    Kahr CM9
    Kahr P380

Quote Originally Posted by marshal kane View Post
    Muggsy, check with www.Amazon.com as they have user reviews on both units. I like both manufacturers and think both turn out quality products. I've never used the Hornady measure as I bought the RCBS Uniflow in 1963 and have continued to use it since. When I bought mine, I got the one with both large (for rifle) and small (for pistol) powder drums. From what is readily apparent at Amazon, the RCBS is the pricier of the two but I don't think you can go wrong with either measure.
    Thanks for the tip, Marshal. Money is no object since I'm filthy rich. Come to think of it I was filthy when I was poor, too. I'll take your advice.

Life Member - NRA
    Colt Gold Cup 70 series
    Colt Woodsman
    Ruger Mark III .22-45
    Kahr CM9
    Kahr P380

Quote Originally Posted by muggsy View Post
    Touche! That's French for you got me.
    You didn't know I was multi lingual?

Lets see the score now is Muggsy -5,721

bawanna- 1

I believe I'm a making a comeback!
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

I like a guy that can take it as well as dish it out. Yer gettin better, Bawanna.

Life Member - NRA
    Colt Gold Cup 70 series
    Colt Woodsman
    Ruger Mark III .22-45
    Kahr CM9
    Kahr P380

Upstate NY - (nothing like NYC). In remote country with thousands of acres of hunting.

Go with a digital scale drop if you are getting a good one. Very accurate systems out there. If you don't want to spend that kind of money, the Hornady mechanical is reliable.
    My Sword - PM4044N/CTL/Talons
    - "One should diligently train at all times." Miyamoto Musashi
    - "Train in technique until it requires no thought - no mind and just happens." Takan Soho
    - "The truth beyond the technique....Here's where we stop thinking and start shooting." Brian Enos
    - "A single sword against the cold sky." Yamaoka Tesshu
    - "You must concentrate upon and consecrate yourself wholly to each day, as though a fire were raging in your hair."
    Taisen Deshimaru
    - "Know your sword!"

There are several good brands, but which ever one you get make sure you get one with this micrometer adjusting stem like this link. Some come with it and some can have it added as an extra cost piece. If you load both pistol and rifle, there is a meter for each. Get them both, you will never regret it.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/615...ProductFinding

Quote Originally Posted by garyb View Post
    Go with a digital scale drop if you are getting a good one. Very accurate systems out there. If you don't want to spend that kind of money, the Hornady mechanical is reliable.
    If I was loading max loads for high power rifle cartridges that would be the way to go, but I'm only looking for a measure to drop pistol charges for range fodder. One thing that I really liked about my old Herter's powder measure is that it had an adapter that used plastic bottles as a powder reservoir. You could change out the bottles without having to empty and refill a reservoir. I would label the bottles as to what powder the contained. I don't know why some other manufacturer didn't pick up on that idea. It was very handy.

Life Member - NRA
    Colt Gold Cup 70 series
    Colt Woodsman
    Ruger Mark III .22-45
    Kahr CM9
    Kahr P380