Tommy Gun Shop   CrossBreed Holsters   Magnum Research new   Crimsontrace
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CM40 v CM45

Default CM40 v CM45

Just got my CM45 and finished puting 100 + rounds through it. No FTF and runs sooo smooth. I am so happy with it. I bought a CM40 a couple of years ago and had nothing but trouble with it. Even after sending it to Kahr it was FTF all the time and I never had the faith to carry it. I really fell in love with this CM45 today.

Glad you had such a great time. I had a few failures during the first part of my break in on mine. Nothing to drastic. Some I caused by experimenting to see how much limp wristing it would tolerate, not much at all. It ran pretty well with the 5 and 6 round mags. Not so well with 7 round mags. The last 4 mags I shot, two 5 round and two 6 rounds went very smooth. Then the range started to get crowded with too many people for my liking so I left after only about 120 rounds through it, but it was really straightening up and acting right.
    Tom
    Live today, tomorrow may not come!
    Boberg XR9S
    Kahr CW40
    Springfield Armory 1911
    Dan Wesson Revolver

HY*NDAI is to cars, what Caracal, Hi-Point, and Jennings is to handguns. The cars may or may not run ok, but the corporation SUCKS.

Thanks for the reply. As an update: I went to the range today and put another 100 rounds of ball through the CM45 without 1 FTF! Amazing. I then tried out a new box of Federal Hi-Shok 230 gr JHP. Third round FTF. Next mag - 4th round FTF. I finally realized that this round has a wide opening on it and it profiles like a wadcutter would. Kahr makes their ramps so steep that only a more cone shaped round will feed properely. I switched to Hornady Critical Defense with no FTF and then on to Doubletap with no FTF. Also, after the first 75 rounds the metal piece on the follower protruded so much that you couldn't load the rounds. Having had this same problem with my CM40, I had my metal file with me and fixed the problem. Anyway, hope this helps someone.

Sounds like you and your new CM45 are bonding nicely . I really like mine, and know what you mean by being smooth. Mine has run 100% through about 400rds now, mostly using my 200gr LSWC reloads, and WWB 230 fmj. The only factory hollow points I have run in mine are Ranger 230 gr +P 's they ran fine as well, but I only ran a couple mags worth. I am going to load up some 230 XTP's to try next, and want to get some Golden Sabers to try as well.

find the 45 round that feeds perfecrt and stick with it. Nice thing about the 45 round is that they do make a nice big hole and u can reuse the bullit again and again, at least thats what the colonel told me..Just sayin
    . My PM9 has over 40,000+ rounds through it, and runs much better than an illegal trying to get across our border

NRA BENEFACTOR MEMBER

MAY GOD BLESS MUGGSY

Quote Originally Posted by jocko View Post
    find the 45 round that feeds perfecrt and stick with it. Nice thing about the 45 round is that they do make a nice big hole and u can reuse the bullit again and again, at least thats what the colonel told me..Just sayin
    Yep I heard after you launch one at a bad guy they are just vaporized, that makes them easy to find, just go pick up the bullet and stuff it back in another case GTG

Just a note about picking and sticking with a round-Today I purchased Winchester White box ball, Win. PDX1 230 gr jhp, Win. SXZ 230 gr jhp, and Fed. 165 gr Hydra-Shok. After 100 rounds of the White box with no problems, the CM45 WOULD NOT take the Win, PDX1 nor the Win. SXZ. So now I have the Doubletap, Hornady Critical Defense and the Fed. 165 gr Hydra-Shok. It would be really great if Kahr would simply add a few degrees to their ramps. I have a Glock 23 (.40), Colt .45 Government Model, Kel Tec 9mm and S&W Bodyguard (.380) and I have never had a FTF with any of those using many different types of ammo. I don't think that Kahr will ever play with the Big Boys until they solve the FTF issue. That said, I love my CM45.
    Last edited by Big bird; 10-25-2014 at 10:42 AM. Reason: spelling

I suspect a few more rounds and it will take those rounds it balks at now just fine.

There's a lot going on in a very small package. I have no doubt Kahr has experimented with different ramp angles and settled on what they figure is the best average to run everything.

I don't work for kahr of course and I haven't really even drank their kool aid but Kahr is a big boy.

Try those same rounds again in a couple hundred rounds and I'm thinking they'll work.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

Thanks for the response. I have a CM40 and put 5-600 rounds through it but suffered the same issues only worse. I was so happy to get the CM45 and I still am, just disappointed that they have solved the issue in a half-step. I have right at 300 rounds through the 45, but since I have already purchased the other rounds, I'll do as you suggested and wait until I have 500 or so and try them again.
    By Big Boys, I was refering to their share of the marketplace. I'm not a gun snob as I have a Kel Tec 9mm that I often carry and it has run like a clock without a failure for over 1,000 rounds. Unfortunately, I can't carry a heavy weapon and so the Kel Tec is a perfect gun for me. I've always wanted to carry a 45 but couldn't because of the weight. Now I have the Kahr and I am as happy as a bug-in-a-rug.

The bug in the rug will be even happier when it runs a 100 percent with everything it's fed cept maybe the foreign cheap junk stuff.

And I think it will.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."