Tommy Gun   Kahr Shop   Tommy Gun Shop   Xssights

Thread: New Trijicon Front Sight Broke Off CM9

Default New Trijicon Front Sight Broke Off CM9

I posted something in the CM/PM sub-forum but figured I'd bring it up in the general discussion. I Took the CM9 out to the range yesterday in the rain and put another 150 flawless rounds through her! Afterwards while cleaning it, I noticed that the front Trijicon night sight I installed was completely loose. It came right off in my hand and appears to have broken off of the screw. I tried to repair/reattach it for about an hour, to no avail...I emailed Kahr about it last night and I'm really hoping they send me another front sight, free of charge. I followed all the installation instructions and yesterday was the first time I had fired the gun with the new front sight. A newly installed front sight should not be that fragile. Does anyone else here have any experience with this issue?

*Kahr CM9
    *Glock 19

“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms..disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes. Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed one.” – Jefferson

What thread locker did you use?
    NRA Life Member

"Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician." -Col Jeff Cooper

I used the red loctite Kahr sends with the sight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    *Kahr CM9
    *Glock 19

“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms..disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes. Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed one.” – Jefferson

I had one break off my CW45. I bought the gun used and the sight was already on it. It broke off right at the top of the screw. I replaced it with a front night sight from Dawson Precision. The one from Dawson Precision doesn't use a screw, it is staked on with both posts, even comes with stake tool. It has a wider base and seems to be sturdier than Kahr's sight.

In case anyone is interested, Kahr CS just let me know that they will be sending me a replacement Trijicon night sight free of charge. Once again Kahr customer service did not disappoint.
    *Kahr CM9
    *Glock 19

Tell all your friends. Kahr CS doesn't suck!
    ​O|||||||O

Quote Originally Posted by rkenaston View Post
    In case anyone is interested, Kahr CS just let me know that they will be sending me a replacement Trijicon night sight free of charge. Once again Kahr customer service did not disappoint.
    Could you possibly post a close up of the broken sight parts? I have thought that some may fail because of stress involved with their installation. If I'm correct, the installation instructions are not comprehensive. IMO, the instructions, among other things, don't adequately address getting the sight to sit flush with the top of the slide. I've seen some installations that needed to have the holes in the slide counter sunk to properly seat the sight, not doing so would most likely result in too much torque being applied to the sight post in an attempt to pull the sight down flush. I'd think this could weaken or even break the sight post.

Also, the screw needs to sit below the surface of the slide, I've seen slides that needed countersinking to achieve this:

Regards,
    Greg
    [<a href=http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif target=_blank>http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif</a>

Mine was that way Greg. Had to take the drimmel to it. Been over a year and still strong!
    This place isn't safe.