Mitch Rosen   CrossBreed Holsters   Magnum Research new   Kahr Shop
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 1911 dependability?

Default 1911 dependability?

I have been contemplating getting a 1911.........................my first, after 39+ yrs. shooting...............problem being, there just aren't that many in my area to fondle. Plenty of Kimber's, and Colt's, but no Springfield's, Magnum Research, ATI's, Sig's etc. I want it for mainly range, but would like to have the carry option. I've been looking at Kimber Ultra's, Springfield Range Officer compact, Sig carry's. I love the option of a 3" or 3 1/2" barrel, but I worry about dependability. If anyone owns a compact 1911 in .45................how has the dependability been with yours?

I have a Kimber Compact Stainless. It's a 4" commander length barrel with a officers size grip. It's been 100% and eats everything. I've probably put 2500 +/- through it. I have read that some of the 3" 1911's can be a little hit or miss as far as dependability, but I think you'll probably be well served by any of the brands you mentioned.

Colt's seems to have mastered the 3" 1911 with their New Agent and Defender models. I have had both (still have the Defender) and found them to be accurate and dependable. But, both seem to have issues with "brass to the face" which can be fixed with adjusting the extractor (see uTube) and the recoil spring of a 3" is very short; mine are changed every 500 rounds. Colt's seems to have trouble keeping the spring assemblies in stock but Kimber offers a similar, but better, assembly for their 3" models which fit the Defender/New Agent perfectly.

I had a 3" Kimber and, while it performed better than I expected, it was not dependable and their CS stank.

in general, the 3" guns are prone to issues so I suggest you go with something from Colt's.

Good luck and have fun.

Your kind of speaking out of both sides of your mouth there berettabone.

You say you want it mainly for range. For that I would prefer full size 5" or commander at a minimum.

Then you say all the ideal carry sizes.

I've run the gammut from full size to compact but found the circle continued and I now carry full size or commander everyday. A commander isn't difficult to carry at all really.

I have an officer size 3 1/2" Para that has been trouble free. No issues. I haven't shot it in a long time.

I had a Colt Officers Model which in spite of all the bad things I heard about with others also was trouble free. Wish I still had it today.

All things being equal it seems that when you get into the compacts there seems to be more issues.

BUT also I think a lot of those issues have been worked out these days. The Ultra you mention seems to run well. My cousin has one and it's a dream to shoot. Very very accurate.

My Magnum Research 1911G is a delight to shoot, incredible value and probably the most accurate 1911 I own. They now have a commander version of that out that I have not seen yet.

I see a 1911 in your future, I can feel it in my cells. Maybe more than one too.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

Kimber full size here .....with the holster Bawanna recommended, no problem carrying it. BTW his grips make the gun! BTW it is very dependable too.
    I am the Living Man

Did you get a Mernickle? Awesome rig. I need to order another one just in case my first one ever wears out.

No sign of that happening so far.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

Quote Originally Posted by Bawanna View Post
    Did you get a Mernickle? Awesome rig. I need to order another one just in case my first one ever wears out.

No sign of that happening so far.
    Yep the high boy version per your rec.. Carries that 1911 very well.
    I am the Living Man

I realize that a longer barrel would do justice at the range, but a smaller firearm is just easier to carry.........concealed. A smaller 1911 would be fine for me at the range.........I'm not shooting at 50yds. Just concerned about reliability. I think I'm still leaning towards the Springfield range officer compact. Fully supported barrel and feed ramp at 4".

My 3.5 inch Colt's Officers ACP is dead stone reliable, has been for the close to 20 years I've had it, and is the only .45 I concealed carry. It has been 'smithed, though. Right from the start. Bought it as raw material for custom carry weapon.

Had a Colt Defender for a couple of years quite awhile back. Sold it because I didn't overly like it, but it was pretty dependable. Have an early 3 inch Kimber UltraCarry I've never had an issue with. Wife likes that one. All of these are lightweights. In a heavier 1911 I have a strong preference for 4 inch/Commander length.

Also...with short barrels not cheaping out on mags is even more important. I've pretty much used nothing but Wilson for the last couple decades.
    NRA Benefactor

From reading your posts, it sounds like you'd be real happy with any of the 4 inchers. You'll hear all sorts of stuff on the web but more good than bad as long as you stay commander or longer. I went with a Sig full size but Springfield was next on my list. Dan Wesson was what I really wanted but couldn't swing the $$$. I do have a 3 inch Para that runs well but that seems to be the exception not the rule.
    ​O|||||||O