Mitch Rosen   Kahr Shop   Xssights   Tommy Gun
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: TP9 grip chop

Default TP9 grip chop

Hey all. I'd like to buy a TP9 ASAP. The only problem is that I cannot decide which generation of TP9 to go for.

If I get the newest TP9, with the extended dust cover and grip, then I will for sure do a grip chop down to P9 length. Otherwise, I'd go for the older TP9 that had the P9 frame to begin with. Were there any significant differences other frame frame dimensions between the older and newer TP9's? I seem to recall something about Kahr changing the design of the slide stop spring retention or some other.

And just to double check, this kind of grip chop should pose no problems, correct?

Anyone? I'd like to be sure before I go hacking away at the grip of a brand new TP9.

I dont know the answer to the question but I'm sure others want to know why are you going to chop tp9 rather than buy a p9 or even get a less expensive ct9 to modify?
    The only thing better than having all the guns and ammo you'd ever need would be being able to shoot it all off the back porch.

Want to see what will be the end of our country as we know it???
    Visit here:
    http://www.usdebtclock.org/

Don't know the answer here either, but I'll agree, why chop a TP when the CT would make a far less expensive project donor.

I had to run away to resist a deal of $279 for CT9s at the gunshow this weekend. Went back twice, but it would have only been a range gun for me, as I have three "carry Kahrs" to pick from already...

Post photos when you get the project done. Good luck!
    I was once asked if I was "a paranoid for carrying my Kahr".
    "Nope" I said, "just prepared".
    " prepared for what" he asked?
    "more stuff than you are"
    God Bless our Troups!

Because reasons!

So there's no problem in doing such a chop, like a P9 Covert modification, correct?

I wouldn't think so. P and cw models have been cut to pm and cm size.
    The only thing better than having all the guns and ammo you'd ever need would be being able to shoot it all off the back porch.

Want to see what will be the end of our country as we know it???
    Visit here:
    http://www.usdebtclock.org/

Buy a CW9. Then, buy a TP9 slide, barrel and recoil spring assembly.

Done. Best of both worlds, and no risk to fubar the frame.

here's a guy who did it to a CW9 --- with pics.

http://www.kahrtalk.com/showthread.p...ight=grip+chop
    ​O|||||||O

Really I don't think there is a big difference between the early and later model other than the number of rounds in the standard mag. I doubt the slide stop is any different. Possibly how it is made but unlikely. The chop can be done, just don't screw it up. I'm planning to chop my late model TP9 down to PM9 grip length as I'm planning to get my CCW and want to make it easier to carry. When I'm done I'll have a gun that is the same length and height as my old G27, but a lot thinner, lighter, and easier to conceal. I'll have 6+1 rounds compared to the 9 the glock had but considering that it is easier to conceale it is a trade-off I'm willing to make.

I'd just buy the P9, the extra, .4" inch of barrel doesn't make as much difference as the ammo you run. Or get the ported barrel for it, you gain the barrel length back, plus have porting to help with muzzle flip. I bought a ported barrel for my CW40, It does help. You lose the polygonal rifling, but gain the ability to shoot lead bullets, which you are not supposed to use in the polygonal rifled barrels, although I'm sure people do it. All the models warn about shooting lead bullets.

A few years back, a friend of mine loaded up some lead RN 9mm cartridges, and we put about half a dozen thru an original Italian Beretta M92 (before the military adopted it), and a Star Model 30. Groups tightened up noticeably with jacketed bullets after running the lead bullets thru the guns. My friend said that his Uncle told him about that trick. I'm not sure what it did physically to the barrel, other than leave a little lead in it, but it sure made a difference.
    Tom
    Live today, tomorrow may not come!
    Boberg XR9S
    Kahr CW40
    Springfield Armory 1911
    Dan Wesson Revolver

HY*NDAI is to cars, what Caracal, Hi-Point, and Jennings is to handguns. The cars may or may not run ok, but the corporation SUCKS.