Mitch Rosen   Tommy Gun   CrossBreed Holsters   Magnum Research new
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: TP9 grip chop

Quote Originally Posted by berettabone View Post
    Next time, save yourself some trouble and time and buy a PM9...............same thing
    And no. The TP-9 Covert has an additional 1" of barrel which is what I wanted. Better site radius, better leverage in the holster, just as easy to conceal IWB, and longer lasting mechanics (single spring over double). PM9's are great pocket guns but that wasn't what I was after. Total time from start to finish was under 1 hour using a bench vise, digital level, hack saw, palm sander, and a dremel to chamfer the mag well. I also took just a little material off the right side of the trigger guard next to the grip.

First 100 rounds it's hard to judge as I haven't shot in a while with ammo scarcity but after the first 50 I was used to shooting again and was doing a lot better at grouping. Too much time without practice makes for a slow warm up. I alternated between 2 and 1 hand shooting and it did fine in both. The barrel is a little jumpier than before but I attribute that to no room for a pinky. Whenever the Agrip arrives I'm planning to take an afternoon to try it again. I may even see if my wife wants to give it a try and report back.

Well done. I'm glad you got what you want. Question: what's up with the stippling practice? Was that part of your motivation to chop this one?
    ​O|||||||O

Quote Originally Posted by b4uqzme View Post
    Well done. I'm glad you got what you want. Question: what's up with the stippling practice? Was that part of your motivation to chop this one?
    No, I planned to stipple the grip instead of the Agrip so I practiced on the Kahr box (stipples nicely) and on the end of the grip (didn't stipple nearly so well) and decided to go with the Agrip. I like the look of a nice stippled grip but the kahr frame tended to stick the iron which would have been less than ideal. I used an Agrip on my glock and while it isn't as appealing as the stippling it works very well.

^^ Good choice. I've seen some good stippling jobs but I have a lot of respect for those who can pull it off.
    ​O|||||||O

Quote Originally Posted by Covert Kahr View Post
    And no. The TP-9 Covert has an additional 1" of barrel which is what I wanted. Better site radius, better leverage in the holster, just as easy to conceal IWB, and longer lasting mechanics (single spring over double). PM9's are great pocket guns but that wasn't what I was after. Total time from start to finish was under 1 hour using a bench vise, digital level, hack saw, palm sander, and a dremel to chamfer the mag well. I also took just a little material off the right side of the trigger guard next to the grip.

First 100 rounds it's hard to judge as I haven't shot in a while with ammo scarcity but after the first 50 I was used to shooting again and was doing a lot better at grouping. Too much time without practice makes for a slow warm up. I alternated between 2 and 1 hand shooting and it did fine in both. The barrel is a little jumpier than before but I attribute that to no room for a pinky. Whenever the Agrip arrives I'm planning to take an afternoon to try it again. I may even see if my wife wants to give it a try and report back.
    You had an extra inch of barrel before you chopped it. Sorry, I just don't like to see perfectly good firearms get hacked up, just because. I would bet that this firearm will become null and void in the future, and unsellable. JMHO. Eveyone has one.

Quote Originally Posted by berettabone View Post
    You had an extra inch of barrel before you chopped it. Sorry, I just don't like to see perfectly good firearms get hacked up, just because. I would bet that this firearm will become null and void in the future, and unsellable. JMHO. Eveyone has one.
    I still have an extra inch of barrel after the chop. Not sure where you think it went but I only cut the grip. As for customizing my gun I was told the same about my glock and I sold it more than I paid new for it. Some people want something that the market doesn't offer, I'm one of those people.

On a side note, finished my first IWB holster for the Kahr this morning. It is a little rough but I'm not too worried about that. For what it needs to do it is more than adequate.

I still have an extra inch of barrel after the chop. Not sure where you think it went but I only cut the grip. As for customizing my gun I was told the same about my glock and I sold it more than I paid new for it. Some people want something that the market doesn't offer, I'm one of those people.

On a side note, finished my first IWB holster for the Kahr this morning. It is a little rough but I'm not too worried about that. For what it needs to do it is more than adequate.
    I think you did an outstanding job on the chop. I do not come to forums like this to see the same stuff I can see in the LGS anyway. I come here for what others are doing with their Kahrs, not some form of Mutual Admiration Society "yours and mine look the same" teenage girl stuff anyway. Kudos on the cajones to actually cut the SN part, some people cannot even take their slide apart. I know that I have gained confidence from others ventures on the net, I have made mistakes too, but got over them. I would more than likely do this to the new CT380 if the %#$@! SN plate wasn't so low to prevent it....
    Comparison is the thief of Joy....

CW380
    MK9

Quote Originally Posted by ReManG View Post
    I think you did an outstanding job on the chop. I do not come to forums like this to see the same stuff I can see in the LGS anyway. I come here for what others are doing with their Kahrs, not some form of Mutual Admiration Society "yours and mine look the same" teenage girl stuff anyway. Kudos on the cajones to actually cut the SN part, some people cannot even take their slide apart. I know that I have gained confidence from others ventures on the net, I have made mistakes too, but got over them. I would more than likely do this to the new CT380 if the %#$@! SN plate wasn't so low to prevent it....

I'm not sure why folks think I cut the barrel. I just did a simple grip cutoff. I left the barrel and frame at length. My biggest worry was cutting the frame too short and having the mag stick out. I like how it carries and shoots. Just hoping the agrip gets here soon and then signing up for the next ccw course.

I'm not sure why folks think I cut the barrel. I just did a simple grip cutoff. I left the barrel and frame at length. My biggest worry was cutting the frame too short and having the mag stick out. I like how it carries and shoots. Just hoping the agrip gets here soon and then signing up for the next ccw course.
    Yeah, I am not getting that either. I suppose you could put a shorter top end on, but then the pistol would look like it had one of those severe underbites with the dust cover sticking out like that.... hahaha.... I think the short grip is way more practical than shorter in both dimensions, I like what you did with this and the ironic thing is the new CT9 is about $20 less than a CM9 on slickguns.... so that may be a project for me, thanks for blazing the way here...

I had not heard of the Agrip before, if you get it in time, would you mind posting a review of it here, with pictures? I looked it up and I believe I have seen it before, but did not pay attention at the time....
    Comparison is the thief of Joy....

CW380
    MK9

If you re read your statement, you say the TP9 has an additional 1" barrel length over the PM9, which is what you wanted. I replied that you still have a 1" barrel length advantage, whether you cut the grip off or not. No one( I think) thinks that you cut off any part of the barrel. Sarcasm is a constant here, and reading is fundamental.