CrossBreed Holsters   Mitch Rosen   Xssights   Tommy Gun Shop
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MK9 Slide crack issues

Default MK9 Slide crack issues

Hello, I was wondering if Kahr redesigned the MK9 slide in regards to the slide cracking between the barrel hole and guide rod hole. I had owned a Kahr MK9 Elite 98 back in 2002 or so and the slide cracked between the barrel hole and guide rod hole. Kahr replaced it, but I feared it would crack again so I sold it. I recently purchased a K9 Elite 2003 and I love it. I was thinking about getting the MK9 Elite 2003, but was worried about the slide cracking. Thanks

Haven't heard much about that happening in a very long time.

I don't think it's a viable concern as it would effect all the MK's and K's since they are basically the same.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

Agreed. Don't let that keep you from a really great gun.
    ​O|||||||O

You're the first I've heard of it.... but there could have been others.... its a non-issue today.

The slide is made from solid. Two things would promote a crack - first is just some hidden screw up in the stock they used - happens! Second is they needed add stress relief in the form of radii to sharp corners. Considering the design and manufaturing dates to 1995, by 2003 or so, you'd think any such stress releif would have been already figured out. So... I'm just guessing they got raw material with hidden inclusions - or sub spec qualities, that caused the stress relief to be inadequate. My vote is material.

Heck- Ruger had Redhawk barrels coming apart because of a change in the lube they used on the threads! Extra slippery meant the barrels were fit in a way that over torqued them.

Quote Originally Posted by CJB View Post

Heck- Ruger had Redhawk barrels coming apart because of a change in the lube they used on the threads! Extra slippery meant the barrels were fit in a way that over torqued them.
    Yup --- I've seen posts about that --- but I'm still looking for a 4 inch 45 colt Redhawk.
    ​O|||||||O

Thanks for the replies. I will be getting a MK9 Elite 03 eventually. I always liked the looks of the MK9, but had the issue years ago with the earlier model MK9 Elite 98 and I shied away from MK9 models. Kahr was excellent in replacing the slide, but I worried it would crack again so I sold it. It probably never would of not cracked again and if it did I'm sure Kahr would of replaced it again.

I just checked my MK9, I've got a crack too..

Quote Originally Posted by ffemt View Post
    I just checked my MK9, I've got a crack too..
    What year/timeframe is your Mk9? My GC7XXX with ~500 down the pipe is fine.....
    Comparison is the thief of Joy....

CW380
    MK9

send those photos to kahr, attn; Jay (email). that slide needs to be replaced... what ur seein is so so so rare, that it shold be of no concern. Kahr will make it right, no doubt is is bad material or combination of improper hardening etc. I have been on here since day one and I don't think I have seen or heard of more than 6. Never good when it happens to you but sh!t happens..
    . My PM9 has over 40,000+ rounds through it, and runs much better than an illegal trying to get across our border

NRA BENEFACTOR MEMBER

MAY GOD BLESS MUGGSY

Quote Originally Posted by ReManG View Post
    What year/timeframe is your Mk9? My GC7XXX with ~500 down the pipe is fine.....
    Its GC22XX with about 1500 rounds through.
    Quote Originally Posted by jocko View Post
    send those photos to kahr, attn; Jay (email). that slide needs to be replaced... what ur seein is so so so rare, that it shold be of no concern. Kahr will make it right, no doubt is is bad material or combination of improper hardening etc. I have been on here since day one and I don't think I have seen or heard of more than 6. Never good when it happens to you but sh!t happens..
    Could you PM me Jay's email? Glad to hear its a rare thing..hopefully have this sorted out soon.