Mitch Rosen   Tommy Gun   Magnum Research new   CrossBreed Holsters

Thread: Reloading the 45-70 question - IMR 4227?

Default Reloading the 45-70 question - IMR 4227?

I found some nice 300 gr 45-70 bullets on Midway, ordered them up, and while waiting on them to be delivered I was in Bass Pro and noticed they had some powder on the shelf. In my mind, I had ordered Nosler bullets, so I picked up the Nosler reloading manual, found their load data for Marlin 45-70 Rifles and see for the 300 grain bullet they list IMR 4227 in 47.5 (max), 45.5, and 43.5 powder charge loads (http://www.nosler.com/45-70-govt-strong-actions-only/). I buy one pound of 4227, and go home thinking all is well.

My Midway package comes and I open it up to find I had actually gotten Barnes 300 gr. 45-70 bullets....http://www.midwayusa.com/product/330...ProductFinding

My Problem is this. My Hornady manual doesn't list IMR 4227 for 45-70, Nosler does and what looks to be a good load, but when I look up Barnes loads, they don't list any using IMR 4227 for a Marlin 1895, but they do for Springfield Trapdoors. I understand those are considerably weaker than my Marlin, but they list the load at 28.0 grains, with the max being 32.0 grains.

My question is, can I use the IMR 4227 powder to load up some rounds, using the Nosler load data, but the Barnes bullet, or will that lead to problems? My main concern is safety. This is mainly a playing around gun, and trying to gain moa accuracy at 100 yards isn't really a thing for me with the buckhorn sites (not saying it can't be done, but I'm mainly enjoying it for knocking big holes in things at 25 to 50 yards, not trying to drive nails).

Edit to add: I just checked my Hornady manual and I see listings for 300 grain Hornady bullets for the trapdoor using IMR 4227. I am assuming I can use the Barnes data for a Springfield Trapdoor and it be perfectly fine in my Marlin 1895, as it would be a much "safer" load, probably something the Marlin will laugh at in terms of pressure...

I tend to agree with you Justin. I think it would be safe but I'd do a little googling and try to confirm.

My son just brought home a Pedersoli Sharps yesterday in 45/70. It's sweet.

I suggested to him that now he can get a guide gun and shoot the same ammo. I gotta start charging that kid rent..............................
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

Quote Originally Posted by Bawanna View Post
    .... I gotta start charging that kid rent..............................
    Duh! Then you could buy a few more guns
    ​O|||||||O

It's always a smart practice to start with a load that is 10% under maximum and to work up to maximum slowly checking for signs of excessive pressure. What is safe in one gun may not be safe in another. Also it's rare to find that the maximum load is the most accurate load for your gun. I always try to take pleasure from my shooting and gettin' beat to death by max loads ain't what I call fun. I'll peruse my many reloading volumes and see if I can't find something for you.
    Never trust anyone who doesn't trust you to own a gun.

Life Member - NRA
    Colt Gold Cup 70 series
    Colt Woodsman
    Ruger Mark III .22-45
    Kahr CM9
    Kahr P380

PM sent.
    Never trust anyone who doesn't trust you to own a gun.

Life Member - NRA
    Colt Gold Cup 70 series
    Colt Woodsman
    Ruger Mark III .22-45
    Kahr CM9
    Kahr P380

Received and replied. Thank you Muggsy for the info.

How much difference does it make when loading equal weight bullets from different manufacturers, for instance using a 300 grain Barnes bullet while reading the Hornady, Nosler, or Speer load data....

The Marlin, the Winchester 1895, are really not all that much stronger than the Trapdoor Springfield.

Guns like the Ruger #3 and #1, and modern Winchester HiWall are a lot stronger, as also are the various Martini actions used for .45-70

However - in all loading - you start low, work up. You know this already! There is no need for the recoil or gas to cycle your action, so any safe load will function.

And - in all loading - no matter what the book says, you let the gun show you what it likes, based on what it hands you back in the way of brass, its primer and primer pocket. Every chamber is going to be different. Every rifling lead in, even bore size, bullet hardness... sizing dies... it all matters. But you already know this.