Tommy Gun   Kahr Shop   Xssights   Tommy Gun Shop
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: P380

Default P380

I am considering selling my P380. Great CCW gun that I just do not need anymore. I have 4 magazines, Crossbreed IWB holster, DeSantis OWB holster and a pocket holster. Very reliable with the ammo it likes. I am near the Sacramento, CA area. Just checking interests. Will need to be transferred through an FFL

Default Good Move

Quote Originally Posted by mbrink View Post
    I am considering selling my P380. Great CCW gun that I just do not need anymore. I have 4 magazines, Crossbreed IWB holster, DeSantis OWB holster and a pocket holster. Very reliable with the ammo it likes. I am near the Sacramento, CA area. Just checking interests. Will need to be transferred through an FFL
    Good move - get rid of that unreliable "non-protection", rather expensive, "occasionally works with a lot of TLC" mechanical device.

I was initially so excited about my brand new Kahr P380 - its size, trigger feel, external look - until the time came to use it for its purpose.
    I had problems from day one with this gun, even after I did all the advised pre-range prep before my first shoot.
    At the range. it took 2 hours to get only a 100 rounds to fire - after stopping countless times due to the dreaded "click" and no "bang", among other issues.
    The Range Master came to help and struggled with it, trying 3 different major manufacturers' round-nosed ammo (beside the PMC and HPR I was using)

2 days later, after clean & lube per our forum's Lube Chart, went to the range - it was almost all clicks, and another Range master came by to help, but he finally gave up.

Took it back to the dealer who sent it back to Kahr.
    What an utterly frustrating experience.

I understand why you are selling it, … perhaps a “caution” notice is in order?

Best Regards

While I, on the other hand, can only reap praise on the CW380 and P380 pistols that I recently purchased. Both functional and reliable.

Quote Originally Posted by kenm View Post
    Good move - get rid of that unreliable "non-protection", rather expensive, "occasionally works with a lot of TLC" mechanical device.

I was initially so excited about my brand new Kahr P380 - its size, trigger feel, external look - until the time came to use it for its purpose.
    I had problems from day one with this gun, even after I did all the advised pre-range prep before my first shoot.
    At the range. it took 2 hours to get only a 100 rounds to fire - after stopping countless times due to the dreaded "click" and no "bang", among other issues.
    The Range Master came to help and struggled with it, trying 3 different major manufacturers' round-nosed ammo (beside the PMC and HPR I was using)

2 days later, after clean & lube per our forum's Lube Chart, went to the range - it was almost all clicks, and another Range master came by to help, but he finally gave up.

Took it back to the dealer who sent it back to Kahr.
    What an utterly frustrating experience.

I understand why you are selling it, … perhaps a “caution” notice is in order?

Best Regards

He didn't say he was getting rid of it, because it was unreliable. He said that he was considering selling it because he didn't need it anymore. What made you feel that you just had to chime in with your sad tail of woe?
    Never trust anyone who doesn't trust you to own a gun.

Life Member - NRA
    Colt Gold Cup 70 series
    Colt Woodsman
    Ruger Mark III .22-45
    Kahr CM9
    Kahr P380

My own P380 is absolute money. All its ever needed so far was the recoil springs replaced after about 1500 rounds. But I suspect from some of the experiences with both 380s that a batch were sent out with the wrong recoil springs. These issues, they seem to go away after a factory trip where they replace the springs.

To answer the original question, I would be interested in owning another one, but the price would have to be a bit less than what a brand new CW380 goes for. Thats a big drop, but for me, and I suspect for most people, the difference between the two guns doesn't justify spending 200 more for the P version. My own accuracy for example would not be affected by the better barrel or adjustable front sight on the P380. I'm just not a match grade shooter.
    Rest in peace Muggsy

"Individual Muslims may show splendid qualities, but the influence of the religion paralyses the social development of those who follow it. No stronger retrograde force exists in the world." Winston Churchill 1899

Quote Originally Posted by muggsy View Post
    He didn't say he was getting rid of it, because it was unreliable. He said that he was considering selling it because he didn't need it anymore. What made you feel that you just had to chime in with your sad tail of woe?
    From his earlier posts of problems with the gun and Kahr repairs.
    Is a salesman going to tell a potential buyer his product does not work well?
    No one will keep a CCW for protection if it is not fully reliable.

There are many "tales of woe" as you put it, on this very forum.
    We must be fair enough to include the bad with the good.
    I sympathized with the seller, and also suggested a "caution" be added in order to be fair to the trusting buyer.

Happy election day tomorrow!

Gun was bought used from a dealer. I bought it after getting my CCW. The CW380 is not legal in CA. I have carried it a lot. I did have some failed to feed issues, and failed to fire issues.

I did send it back to Kahr who replaced some parts. Since then it has been great with most ammo - 100% reliable with ammo it likes. It had some fail to feed with some Walmart Winchester loads. These have blunt bullets. It is still the gun I carry.

Truth is I do not carry often. I have since bought a G42 which is much bigger then the P380, but ate up the ammo the Kahr would not feed.

So I am now a Glock guy; have been for years. . I have had a Glock since 92 which has never had an issue - G23. My G42 has been equally reliable.

All that said, this is the gun I carry. It is 100% with Precision and all quality ammo. I have a lot invested into it with the extra mags and holsters. It will serve someone well.

You are a true gentleman of honor, mbrink. I salute my fellow-Californian.

I hope that when my P380 returns from Kahr it does as well as yours did post-repair.
    BTW, I wonder if the mods to make it CA compliant could affect its performance in any way?

Meantime I will see how my "in transit" Glock 42 performs when it arrives.

Best wishes for a speedy sale.

I assume you mean in transit P380.

Kahr was great with the mods it made. I bet yours does great upon return. I was very pleased with the service I got.

All that said, we all buy guns for reliable use. The issues many of us have should not happen - regardless of the good customer support from Kahr.

BTW, I had a CW9 which was 100% reliable. I sold it since did not need it. I had my pocket 380 and my 40 Glocks.

This is a good gun for someone. Likely me, it really is a neat gun.

Actually it is the Glock 42 in transit - I need a small CCW for the places I go to teach inner-city kids, so after my experience with the Kahr, I ordered the Glock.
    My G17 has performed flawlessly from day 1 for years and thousands of numerous types of ammo, even with lax cleaning (after the initial honeymoon, cleaning was every 500 or 600 rounds) Of course it is a much larger gun, so it's not an apples to apples comp.

If the Kahr comes back okay,it'll be my main carry, with the G42 for winter.