Kahr Shop   Xssights   Magnum Research new   Tommy Gun
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Magazine scratching casings - safe to fire?

Default Magazine scratching casings - safe to fire?

While checking over my wife's CM9, I noticed that the mag lips are leaving scratches in the casings deep enough to catch a fingernail.

Should I be concerned about chamber pressures causing a rupture when fired?

This gun has fired 100's of trouble free rounds, but I want to be sure, her life is entrusted to this gun.

If it's caused by the magazine lips, you can lightly sand... 300-400 grit is what I use... to get rid of the sharp edges. I like to do that with new magazines, along with removing the grease from inside the tube and lightly oiling the spring, I check for any burrs, roughness, or sharp edges with the sandpaper. Don't alter the square edges of the retention notch, though.

Wynn
    USAF Retired '88, NRA Life Member. Wife USAF Retired '96
    Avatar: Wynn re-enlists his wife Desiree, circa 1988 Loring AFB, ME. 42nd BMW, Heavy (SAC) B-52G's
    Frédéric Bastiat’s essay, The Law: http://mises.org/books/thelaw.pdf

Thomas Jefferson said

“A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have.”
    and

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".

As wynn says, clean up those mag lips. As for the scratched casings, the one pictured looks iffy. by that i mean the side of the casing is fully supported in the chamber,so if it chambers it would be ok, if it splits it might not eject. If however, the scratch goes down into the beveled area, that area is not supported and could cause a boom instead of a bang. If in doubt, get a bullet puller and de-cap , dump the powder in a cup of water to neutralize, as for the primer, there`s a way to neutralize them by soaking , but i can`t remember what that is. personally, i would load the empty case and fire off the primer then trash the casings .
    In memory of great-grammy; never understood a word she yelled in polish, but we all knew what she meant.

I've posted twice on this problem concerning sharp interior magazine feed lips. If you do nothing, in time and lots of rounds, those burs left on the magazine lips will eventually wear down but my solution is to de-bur using a steel rod e.g. the shank of a drill bit. It helps if you depress the magazine follower then put something through the magazine's inspection hole e.g. straightened paper clip to keep the follower away from the feed lips then rub the burs off with a drill bit. Leaving those burs on the feed lips can actually cause failure to feed problems as the force needed for the slide to strip the round out of the magazine can slow the slide down to where the round may fail chamber. Before the de-burring, place a spent case in the magazine and strip it off with your thumb noting how much pressure it takes to strip the case. After de-burring, repeat the test. The case should strip off the magazine like a greased pig.

As to whether it's safe to fire the rounds after they've been scored, it's likely safe since the brass is thickest at the base and the round is fully supported by the chamber. I say "likely" because there are no absolutes when you have this kind of condition. It's a judgement call but if it were me, I'd fire the rounds then leave the cases on the ground.

smooth the lips and shoot 5th fokker like u stole it. Just sayin
    . My PM9 has over 40,000+ rounds through it, and runs much better than an illegal trying to get across our border

NRA BENEFACTOR MEMBER

MAY GOD BLESS MUGGSY

I doubt seriously that firing that round would cause any problems. The deepest part of the scratch occurs in the strongest area of the case, the web, and above that it's fully supported by the barrel chamber. I would smooth up the feed lips of the magazine to preclude any future occurrences.
    Never trust anyone who doesn't trust you to own a gun.

Life Member - NRA
    Colt Gold Cup 70 series
    Colt Woodsman
    Ruger Mark III .22-45
    Kahr CM9
    Kahr P380

That happens. Seen it on Colt .45 Auto mags, S&W mags, Browning HP mags.... ya know... they leave a rough edge or burr, that'll happen cuz the steel is much harder than the brass or gilding metal.

I use #1000 wet/dry sandpaper to smooth the rough edges of magazine lips. None of my magazines scratches cartridges like that or cut my thumb any more.

Upstate NY - (nothing like NYC). In remote country with thousands of acres of hunting.

Simply smooth out the lips with some very fine wet/dry sandpaper to get rid of the edges. Clean up the inside of the mag and spring to get out all the grease and crap...., then wax the inside of the mag and spring with paste wax or frog lube (follow the directions). Use a soft clean cloth to buff/wipe out the wax and you will be good to go. Not that big an issue.
    My Sword - PM4044N/CTL/Talons
    - "One should diligently train at all times." Miyamoto Musashi
    - "Train in technique until it requires no thought - no mind and just happens." Takan Soho
    - "The truth beyond the technique....Here's where we stop thinking and start shooting." Brian Enos
    - "A single sword against the cold sky." Yamaoka Tesshu
    - "You must concentrate upon and consecrate yourself wholly to each day, as though a fire were raging in your hair."
    Taisen Deshimaru
    - "Know your sword!"

Quote Originally Posted by garyb View Post
    Simply smooth out the lips with some very fine wet/dry sandpaper to get rid of the edges. Clean up the inside of the mag and spring to get out all the grease and crap...., then wax the inside of the mag and spring with paste wax or frog lube (follow the directions). Use a soft clean cloth to buff/wipe out the wax and you will be good to go. Not that big an issue.
    Why should this be necessary?