Kahr Shop   Tommy Gun Shop   Tommy Gun   Xssights
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone tried Hornady XTP bullets in their CM45 or PM45?

Default Anyone tried Hornady XTP bullets in their CM45 or PM45?

I have a CM45 coming in the mail. It's my first Kahr. I'll start with 200 rounds of 230gr FMJ as a break in, then move on to JHP. I've always been partial to XTP ammunition and i was wondering how it runs in the CM45.

If it's any help, i rarely run factory ammo, i like to hand-load.

Thanks!

Might be best to break in the new CM with factory hardball first. My CW45 is picky with some factory ammo and is more difficult for me to reload for than my other 45's.

I'm in the same boat Antiacus. I just got a CM45 and haven't broken it in yet. You're very wise breaking it in with FMJ. Once you move to SD rounds, most of the complaints I've read concern bullet noses too squared off to slide up the feed ramp properly. I took a look at a picture of the XTP and it looks conical enough but I too would like to hear from members who've tried them. Looks to be a good round.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    ​O|||||||O

My PM45 loves the Barnes TAC-XTP 185 grain rounds. It's a huge hollow point and it feeds perfectly. The same gun hates the Hornady Critical Duty rounds. I thought they'd feed great but I got lots of jams with them.

Jim

Thanks for the replies!

The guy at the LGS told me he has had a CW45 for a long time and to take care to load to minimum COAL, it hiccuped loading ammunition any longer than minimum. Anyone know if this is true of the CM series?

Both of my PM45's with 8,000 and 3,00 rounds will function perfectly with federal. remington. speer and hornady hollow points. Both will handle my hand loads at the magazine maximum of 1.300". The only factory loads the 3,000 round gun has seen is HP SD rounds, the rest all hand loads.

I have all the ingredients... Some 230gr XTP bullets, and a CM45
    I have been meaning to load some up anyways. I will try to get some made and get back to you with how they run. I'll make some with Titegroup first.

I have to say it would surprise me if they don't work as my CM45 feeds nice and smoothly when hand racking (slingshot loading) it. I have even tried to intentionally hold the slide back as I was loading a round and if I try hard enough I can get it to hang up, but even with riding the slide it usually still just snaps shut. I have been mostly using my reloaded 200gr LSWC bullets (OAL @1.250") and ran some 230gr LRN bullets, factory WWB 230gr FMJ, and a few Win. Ranger 230gr +P's all have fed flawlessly.

Edit; Ok I just put 15 230gr XTP rds together,(seems I only had half a box left) I went with the same OAL as my Rangers @1.210" and 4.7gr Titegroup. I hand racked a mag full through and like I expected fed nice and smooth. I have to run out today so I will stop at the range and give them a go! I have a couple modded 1911 mags that I need to test in the CM45 anyways... I'll be back

I having a problem with seating XTP bullets without having the hollow point collapse in on itself. I've tried both the flat and round seating stems and still have the problem. I'm waiting to hear from RCBS on a cure.
    Never trust anyone who doesn't trust you to own a gun.

Life Member - NRA
    Colt Gold Cup 70 series
    Colt Woodsman
    Ruger Mark III .22-45
    Kahr CM9
    Kahr P380

Quote Originally Posted by muggsy View Post
    I having a problem with seating XTP bullets without having the hollow point collapse in on itself. I've tried both the flat and round seating stems and still have the problem. I'm waiting to hear from RCBS on a cure.
    That is weird I've used XTP's in .380, 9mm, .45 for many,many years and never had any issues.(using Lee and Hornady dies)
    Are you trying to seat and crimp in one step? If so, try just seating, and then using a separate taper crimp die. (I like the Lee factory crimp dies and use them for all my auto's)

Quote Originally Posted by BEARDOG View Post
    I have all the ingredients... Some 230gr XTP bullets, and a CM45
    I have been meaning to load some up anyways. I will try to get some made and get back to you with how they run. I'll make some with Titegroup first.

I have to say it would surprise me if they don't work as my CM45 feeds nice and smoothly when hand racking (slingshot loading) it. I have even tried to intentionally hold the slide back as I was loading a round and if I try hard enough I can get it to hang up, but even with riding the slide it usually still just snaps shut. I have been mostly using my reloaded 200gr LSWC bullets (OAL @1.250") and ran some 230gr LRN bullets, factory WWB 230gr FMJ, and a few Win. Ranger 230gr +P's all have fed flawlessly.

Edit; Ok I just put 15 230gr XTP rds together,(seems I only had half a box left) I went with the same OAL as my Rangers @1.210" and 4.7gr Titegroup. I hand racked a mag full through and like I expected fed nice and smooth. I have to run out today so I will stop at the range and give them a go! I have a couple modded 1911 mags that I need to test in the CM45 anyways... I'll be back
    Great to hear! Looking forward to hearing how things go. Do you have some ball to run through the 1911 mags to test them first?