Tommy Gun Shop   Tommy Gun   CrossBreed Holsters   Kahr Shop

Thread: CM40 magnetized slide lock pin?

Default CM40 magnetized slide lock pin?

I Froglubed my CM40 last night and discovered that the slide lock pin is magnetized. Anyone else notice this, whats the story???

Could be! Muggsy will probably have more anecdotal evidence, but...

When grinding core pins and ejector pins for injection molding, I noticed that the pins sometimes got magnetized on the end that was fit to the task at hand. Never really considered it, not much magnetism... just enough to wiggle a paper clip (or pick up filings like a .... magnet.. doh!). Not sure if its the residue on the grinding wheel, or the actual process of grinding that does it.

Keep in mind, we're talkin' fine grinding, not "burnt metal" grinding. That is, grinding for precision, very minute amounts of material taken off. Core pins and ejector pins are tough metal. Dunno the alloy, but they're tough, all the way through. Kahr pins are some tough metal too. Could be a similar situation, as they're ground, not machined, because of the material toughness.

Karm Arms magnetizes the slide locks to make their guns more attractive. This has been a long held company secret, but now K.C. has let the cat out of the bag, so to speak. I've used the magnetized slide lock to retrieve the striker spring when it shot across the room the last time that I detail stripped the slide. Another added benefit of the magnetized slide lock.
    Never trust anyone who doesn't trust you to own a gun.

Life Member - NRA
    Colt Gold Cup 70 series
    Colt Woodsman
    Ruger Mark III .22-45
    Kahr CM9
    Kahr P380

Quote Originally Posted by muggsy View Post
    Karm Arms magnetizes the slide locks to make their guns more attractive.
    LOL

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GfhyRjIcBbQ