Tommy Gun   Mitch Rosen   Kahr Shop   Magnum Research new
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DA the best for SD?

Default DA the best for SD?

When it comes to self defense I prefer to keep it simple: draw, point and shoot. I really don't want to complicate things with a lot of extra safeties and such. That's why I choose to carry Kahr pistols and DA revolvers. I consider them safe enough to handle, holster and carry without compromising self defense. How about you?
    ​O|||||||O

On a Kahr web site, I expect you will find most agree with that thinking.

Yeah...but I suspect there are plenty of members who carry others too.
    ​O|||||||O

Although some Kahrs now have external safeties

^^^ yeah. Pass on those. Those are just to satisfy some bureaucrats and open up new markets.
    ​O|||||||O

I am a big fan of the DAO, which is what originally piqued my interest in Kahrs years ago when they came out. I was not as monetarily inclined back then and did not have the funds for a Kahr (the value line is awesome in my opinion), so I stuck with what I had (Ruger SP101 and Glocks). Both of these had a simple manual of arms, pull trigger and wait for boom... Like the Kahrs...

I have carried others, SA/DA Smiths, Hi-Power clones, etc... All of the different manual of arms made me want to carry Israeli style with the chamber empty and rack upon draw... I value the simplicity of just having to pull the trigger, but not having a trigger so sensitive that a simple SNAFU can set it off... So I agree with you on the Draw, Aim, Squeeze, Boom technique... Kahrs fall squarely into the DAO revolver safety in long trigger pull realm for me... One of my favorites now...
    Comparison is the thief of Joy....

CW380
    MK9

I carried DA/SA for many years but I'm an old cowboy at heart so I generally thumbed the hammer back first shot. I hated the super hard first trigger pull and then a decent normal pull there after. Also didn't relish the idea of having to remember to hit the drop safety before reholstering.

Most DA only's like the kahr have much nicer trigger pulls.

I don't consider the Glock a DAO at all, I consider it a 1911 with no safety. But that's ok. I'm a 1911 guy so it works.

When you look the elephant in the eye, simple is best.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

Personally I'm in agreement with the body of your post. However, I feel your thread title is debatable... might very well depend on the particulars of the SD situation. Which action you're most comfortable and familiar with would also come into play.
    "I hate quotations. Tell me what you know."
    Ralph Waldo Emerson

Quote Originally Posted by Bill K View Post
    Personally I'm in agreement with the body of your post. However, I feel your thread title is debatable... might very well depend on the particulars of the SD situation. Which action you're most comfortable and familiar with would also come into play.
    good point. And I'm fortunate that I've kept my training/familiarity focused on DA for self defense. Any other action types are just for range/target. I will add to my SD list DA/SA pistols with a decocker: I use a CZ P07 .40sw for IDPA. But once decocked, the SD manual of arms is the same: draw, point and shoot.
    ​O|||||||O

In certain situations, I carry my Beretta inox, sometimes my Sig. I don't worry about the safety, because I don't use it. I also don't worry about the first trigger pull...............adrenaline does wonders, and most likely under stress, you won't even notice that first pull. Smoothing out the trigger also helps. They are the firearms which I am most familiar, and most comfortable.