Tommy Gun   Kahr Shop   Crimsontrace   Magnum Research new
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: IDPA focus

Default IDPA focus

I just had an AHA moment.

I just posted in another thread a point that I feel is worth stressing. I've been an advocate of IDPA training for awhile now. But I think the singular most important thing IDPA teaches us is to broaden our focus to include an awareness of our surroundings. The rules and scenarios are designed to make you think about what is going on around you and what you have to do next. All while shooting accurately and quickly.

It's important to note the differences: we train our shooting fundamentals to be automatic...without thought...because, in a stressful situation, our minds tend to go blank. IDPA trains us to try to keep aware of our situation too.

It doesn't matter how you get this practice but it is important.
    ​O|||||||O

and fun
    Rest in peace Muggsy

"Individual Muslims may show splendid qualities, but the influence of the religion paralyses the social development of those who follow it. No stronger retrograde force exists in the world." Winston Churchill 1899

Upstate NY - (nothing like NYC). In remote country with thousands of acres of hunting.

I agree with you both. In IDPA, there is a lot going on and a lot to remember. This adds some stress. For some shooters, having others watching also adds stress, but for me, this goes away because I shot competitively and no longer think about that part of shooting. A lot going on with safety being on the top of the list of things to think about. It's fun, intense training for good gun control under some stress. The aspects of the mind are a big part of training. I've found that once you are in the groove and things really begin to click, the stress and the thinking about what you are required to do and not do seems to dissolve....your concentration goes to that front sight and pushing your gun to the next shot.
    My Sword - PM4044N/CTL/Talons
    - "One should diligently train at all times." Miyamoto Musashi
    - "Train in technique until it requires no thought - no mind and just happens." Takan Soho
    - "The truth beyond the technique....Here's where we stop thinking and start shooting." Brian Enos
    - "A single sword against the cold sky." Yamaoka Tesshu
    - "You must concentrate upon and consecrate yourself wholly to each day, as though a fire were raging in your hair."
    Taisen Deshimaru
    - "Know your sword!"

I think the stress induced in any competitive shooting sport is awesome, and it gives you a reason to improve your skills. As for competition, I prefer USPSA a bit over IDPA.. I find it more challenging and allows me to find my own solution and ways of shooting things. I love all shooting, but the rules forcing things on you can get old fast.

I never understood people who Conceal Carry and never train. Those that only point shoot are in for a surprise when the target moves, much less shoots back. Train like you will fight. Repetition breeds perfection.

Quote Originally Posted by stevec5ws6 View Post
    I think the stress induced in any competitive shooting sport is awesome, and it gives you a reason to improve your skills. As for competition, I prefer USPSA a bit over IDPA.. I find it more challenging and allows me to find my own solution and ways of shooting things. I love all shooting, but the rules forcing things on you can get old fast.
    I agree with you 100% and will add that the "game" we play(either IDPA or USPSA) will drill into you some bad habits that can also get you killed. When you take classes from a real combat pistolero, they will point those game habits out. I like IDPA...so much so that I used to use it as my primary form of training. Its a game that give you trigger time and has some benefit but please don't think it is a substitute for SD specific training. Just my opinion...here's 2 cents.
    I am the Living Man

I don't mind people watching so much as too many other shooters on the line, unless it's a competition. At the indoor range, I usually leave once 4 or 5 other shooters come in.
    I can't keep track of everyone and whether they are being safe or not, so I try to hit the range when it's not too busy.
    Tom
    Live today, tomorrow may not come!
    Boberg XR9S
    Kahr CW40
    Springfield Armory 1911
    Dan Wesson Revolver

HY*NDAI is to cars, what Caracal, Hi-Point, and Jennings is to handguns. The cars may or may not run ok, but the corporation SUCKS.

I started my military career as a Army Armored Cavalry Platoon Leader. This training carried my into Vietnam as a Infantry Company Commander.

Situation awareness is everything along with an aggressive and intelligent response to varied threats quickly.

Jocko's mind tends to go blank, stressed, or not. Just sayin.
    Never trust anyone who doesn't trust you to own a gun.

Life Member - NRA
    Colt Gold Cup 70 series
    Colt Woodsman
    Ruger Mark III .22-45
    Kahr CM9
    Kahr P380

I think IDPA makes us better shooters and more capable of protecting ourselves. Just remember, if you are in a gunfight, you DO NOT have to perform a flat-footed reload!