Tommy Gun   Tommy Gun Shop   Magnum Research new   Kahr Shop

Thread: HK P7 M8 weekend gunshow buy

Default HK P7 M8 weekend gunshow buy

Just yesterday I attended the local gunshow. Usually I'd go Saturday, but I was unable, so I went Sunday instead. The difference in crowd size was remarkable. I was out of luck finding the particular guns I was hunting, (PPQ in .22lr, Daewoo or Lionheart, certain mags, Walther CCP, Pico). I was near the end of my zig-zag journey through the tables when I spotted the unique shape of a P7. As I edged closer I saw it was the M8 model which seems less prevalent than the PSP. The M8 usually carries a bit of a premium price over the PSP so I expected to see an appropriate price. Turns out this was a private sale, no paperwork, and the price was very enticing. This model can normally fetch around $1000 but the owner was asking $700 and we agreed on a price less than that. It even came with a total of three mags, a nice complement to the deal.

Color me happy. This addition to my HK collection completes the realistically attainable P7 group, (I'll probably never own a P7K3), with both the PSP and the M8. The M8 is the American version of the famous HK series, the difference between the two is mainly the heel versus lever mag release and a heat shield added to the M8 trigger guard. I've always wondered how effective the heat shield actually is. The PSP is good for about 80 rounds before it gets uncomfortably hot.

Can't wait to put through it's paces at the range. These compact pistols are quite accurate and easy to shoot well. Though not perfect for everyone... everyone should experience a P7 at least once. They are neat guns.

Here's the PSP, note the heel mag release and lack of heat shield.
    Judging by today's left wing, looks like Senator Joe McCarthy was right after all.

These guns never quite caught on. The Edsel of the firearms world. Very well build, but way ahead of their time.
    Never trust anyone who doesn't trust you to own a gun.

Life Member - NRA
    Colt Gold Cup 70 series
    Colt Woodsman
    Ruger Mark III .22-45
    Kahr CM9
    Kahr P380

Nice find and buy. I have only seen a copy of them.

Quote Originally Posted by muggsy View Post
    These guns never quite caught on. The Edsel of the firearms world. Very well build, but way ahead of their time.
    Agreed and WAY too expensive for what you got. Fired a few, not for me. NJ State Police issued them and traded them out after a decade or so. Niche weapon. H&K have never understood the function of price in the selection of a weapon for either departments and especially citizens. To this day they still have not understood this basic principle.
    Wake Up...Grow Up...Show Up...Sit Up...Shut Up...Listen Up

Nice find ripley16 and excellent photos. That sure looks to be in nice condition. Was there any particular reason they put a heat shield on the P7 M8?
    I wouldn't mind having one. After all, they were in production for over 25 years and saw quite a bit of police/military service.
    Regards,
    Greg
    [<a href=http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif target=_blank>http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif</a>

Great price. Online they are bringing big $$$

Was there any particular reason they put a heat shield on the P7 M8?
    The heat shield was added to the M8 model to try and block some of the heat transfered by the gas cylinder to the trigger.

Great price. Online they are bringing big $$$
    Which is why I jumped at this one. After I bought the gun I told my wife it was a $1000 gun, but when I got home and checked some recent sales on Gunbroker I was more than pleased as they were selling for $1300 to $1700. I don't collect guns to make money, but I don't like to lose money either.

Fired a few, not for me. NJ State Police issued them and traded them out after a decade or so.
    Definitely not a gun for everyone. N.J.S.P. used the P7M13 for over 20 years, a very long time for a service weapon.

I have only seen a copy of them.
    What would that brand be? Walther is bringing out the CCP that uses the gas retard system, but I think the squeeze-cocker is unique in a modern pistol.
    Judging by today's left wing, looks like Senator Joe McCarthy was right after all.

I always wanted one, never could afford one. Couple neighboring agencies used to carry them, a couple of the officers refused to give them up and still carry them.
    I've heard they do warm up quick. I only shot one once but I really liked it.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

Kahr might want to take a lesson from those magazines......................................... ..................

Amen. There are two mags I've always thought of as the best made; the HK P7 and the new Seecamp mags. Both tough as nails and ultra reliable.

For those that own a Kahr T9, the P7 is very similar in many ways; size, capacity, weight, polygonal barrel, striker fired, etc. The triggers are quite different but the rest is remarkably alike.