CrossBreed Holsters   Tommy Gun   Magnum Research new   Xssights
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Help Figuring Out the Kahr's Long Reset

Default Help Figuring Out the Kahr's Long Reset

I was at the range today and I had trouble being accurate with somewhat rapid multiple shot strings with my Kahrs (CW45 and PM9).

Slow fire, I can have the holes on the paper touching, no problem at 20-30ft, but I just couldn't keep them reasonably grouped when trying to fire as rapid as sight picture is reacquired. I can get in decent double taps with my other guns, but on the Kahrs it was seemingly futile. It was still minute-of-bad-guy, but I can do better with literally all of my other guns that happen to have shorter resets.

Does anyone have any tips on how to improve with shooting Kahrs?
    I noticed myself paying extra mind not to short stroke the trigger, but there was some hesitation between shots as it felt weird having my finger come off the trigger for a moment once it had reset. Other guns that have an early reset point of course allow your finger a decent margin where you can remain in contact with the trigger past the reset point. Seemed like I was slapping at the trigger for the worst of it.

I think what you will find is that more rounds downrange will help. When I decided to master the DAO Airweight J frame S&W's, I didn't shoot any other guns for a while and put a ~lot~ of rounds through my 642. Your body will figure out the trigger pull in due time and you will be able to get some satisfactory double taps.

Agreed, All it should take is more practice. In my case, practicing with my Kahrs made me better with other pistols too. You may find the same. And experiment with trigger finger placement. Too much or too little can make a difference.
    ​O|||||||O

I have no problem with the Kahr trigger, but then I cut my teeth on S&W revolvers. My only suggestion is to build speed slowly. You'll get it in time.
    Never trust anyone who doesn't trust you to own a gun.

Life Member - NRA
    Colt Gold Cup 70 series
    Colt Woodsman
    Ruger Mark III .22-45
    Kahr CM9
    Kahr P380

I'm in the process of getting used to the trigger of my CM9. I'm a Glock shooter. I'm consistently a little low left. I think it's my head angle. I'm slowly getting used to the sight picture. I added a Pachmyr grip and that gave me a fuller hand which helped accuracy. Double tap with Glock is a natural, with Kahr, not so much. I guess that's part of the break in time with Kahr pistols. Practice helps the pistol and shooter loosen up and work together.

Some guns, by design, are very quick to shoot. The Kahr trigger design does not lend itself to really fast shots, or at least not as fast as possible with other brands of pistol. This is just a fact. For example, Walther in particular has aimed at producing a quick trigger, (as found on the P99 QA and current PPQ). Don't compare your Kahr with your other guns.

My advice would be to forget about "shooting to the reset". Retrain your finger to "full stroke" the trigger. The only way I can shoot a Kahr fast is to break a rule and put my finger fully on the trigger, (not the pad) and muscle the trigger back. I'm less accurate, but faster. About the best I can do is a 6" group at 7 yards. When I practice, I shoot 4 groups of two, attempting to shoot each group a tiny bit quicker than the previous. However, my goal is to get as fast as possible with a Kahr, which is not as fast as with most other pistols.
    Judging by today's left wing, looks like Senator Joe McCarthy was right after all.

No, don't just keep flinging lead! If you're not getting the accuracy you want, change how you're shooting (finger placement most likely). Don't keep repeating the same "error" or you'll waste a bunch of money on ammo.

Kahrs aren't meant for precise rapid fire. Get a 1911 if that's what you want in a carry gun. Look at the advantage of the Kahr - long smooth trigger with no safety; it's simple point-n-shoot. And if you're stopping a bad guy, you do not want four bullets in the same hole. If you hit meat with a 4-6" group, that's multiple wound channels for faster bleed-out and a better chance of hitting his off-switch. Think of it as a slow-fire shotgun. Embrace the scatter!
    Man of steel - Kahr T9, CZ75

I agree with John, you don't want a tight group oh a bad guy, you want to spread the shots out, with more chances of hitting vital organs.
    If I thought I was having a problem with my shooting technique, I would have an experienced pistolero watch me, and see if he could see what I was doing wrong.
    The range masters at the indoor ranges I go to are always happy to spend a few minutes with you and let you know what they think is going on.
    Tom
    Live today, tomorrow may not come!
    Boberg XR9S
    Kahr CW40
    Springfield Armory 1911
    Dan Wesson Revolver

HY*NDAI is to cars, what Caracal, Hi-Point, and Jennings is to handguns. The cars may or may not run ok, but the corporation SUCKS.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnR View Post
    No, don't just keep flinging lead! If you're not getting the accuracy you want, change how you're shooting (finger placement most likely). Don't keep repeating the same "error" or you'll waste a bunch of money on ammo.

Kahrs aren't meant for precise rapid fire. Get a 1911 if that's what you want in a carry gun. Look at the advantage of the Kahr - long smooth trigger with no safety; it's simple point-n-shoot. And if you're stopping a bad guy, you do not want four bullets in the same hole. If you hit meat with a 4-6" group, that's multiple wound channels for faster bleed-out and a better chance of hitting his off-switch. Think of it as a slow-fire shotgun. Embrace the scatter!
    Well said JR!

In my opinion, getting used to Kahr sights may be part of this.