Magnum Research new   Kahr Shop   Crimsontrace   CrossBreed Holsters
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I'm thinking of trading my CW40 for an M&P Shield 40

Default I'm thinking of trading my CW40 for an M&P Shield 40

Hi folks. I am a relatively inexperienced shooter. I bought a CW40 about 10 months ago. I have shot about 600 rounds through it, and I am not shooting it well. I have tried Glock 23, S&W M&P 40 and Springfield XD Compact and shoot all of them better than I shoot the CW40. I had an instructor try to help me with it, and he says I am pulling down and left, due to anticipation of the recoil and the long pull. I have no such problems with my CW380. I am thinking of just giving up and buying the S&W. Any suggestions? Thanks.

The .40 &W generates a lot more recoil that the .380 ACP. Maybe you should go to a 9MM Luger instead. There's no difference in effectiveness and you'll add another round to the magazine. Most people will shoot a single action more accurately than a double action gun, but once you learn to shoot the double action trigger you'll shoot anything well. The nine is a lot cheaper to shoot, too.
    Never trust anyone who doesn't trust you to own a gun.

Life Member - NRA
    Colt Gold Cup 70 series
    Colt Woodsman
    Ruger Mark III .22-45
    Kahr CM9
    Kahr P380

Go to one of the S&W forums and search for low and left in the Shield section. You will be amazed at how many threads there are where new Shield owners want to adjust their sights because they are shooting low and left. They all get the same advice. Learn trigger control. It comes with practice and experience.

600 rounds is a decent amount of practice IMHO. Sounds like you've developed a flinch instead of getting better. I don't think a change is a bad idea. Either to 9mm as muggsy said or one of the pistols you already know that you shoot better. I'm not a fan of the safety on M&P's. Can you get the .40 without one? I also agree that, if you could learn to shoot that Kahr well, it would make you a much better shooter overall. A lot of dry fire practice could help...no recoil...and you would develop the muscle memory that could help overcome that flinch. Good luck!
    ​O|||||||O

Thanks for the pep talks. I worked at home today, and every time I took a break I dry fired a few dozen times while aimed at various things. I think this has improved the situation a lot. I'm going to the range tomorrow and will report back.
    Last edited by Crotalus; 12-09-2014 at 01:14 PM. Reason: missing word

Now get out there and shoot like a man!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    My New Web Store!
    www.teampython.com
    __________________________________________________ _____
    The loudest sound in the world is a “click” when you need a “bang.”

Try to conciously relax your pinkie finger on your shooting hand. A lot of times part of the low/left flinch comes from squeezing the gun too tight.

I bought two 9mm Shields before I went with Kahrs. They are very accurate, but I can't say they are 100% dependable, even after hundreds of rounds. Shields also seem to be very ammo brand dependent. Other than that, Shields are ok. Just shoot them a lot.
    Draw me not without provocation, sheath me not without honor.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken L View Post
    Try to conciously relax your pinkie finger on your shooting hand. A lot of times part of the low/left flinch comes from squeezing the gun too tight.
    +1 I'll second what Ken said. I've always wondered why people complain about the short grip of a PM9 when you are only supposed to squeeze the grip with the middle too fingers of your strong hand. Squeezing with the little finger can cause the muzzle to drop when the trigger breaks resulting in a low shot.
    Never trust anyone who doesn't trust you to own a gun.

Life Member - NRA
    Colt Gold Cup 70 series
    Colt Woodsman
    Ruger Mark III .22-45
    Kahr CM9
    Kahr P380

Thanks again, everyone. I'll check in after I visit the range on Wednesday.