Xssights   Mitch Rosen   Tommy Gun Shop   Magnum Research new
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: CCW-Do your really need a Gun Belt?

Some non gun belts are just fine... I am used to pants a size too big ( just a 44 instead of 42. gives me more room to move with longer legs, and room for my Kahr between my fat and my belt. so even if the gun isn't IWB i need a belt to keep them up without looking like a homie.

I have a pretty stylish belt by fat back tactical. it's a lot like a normal belt but velcro adjustable, and quick release... nice stiff nylon and holds up really well... you don't HAVE to have it. any good stiff solid belt will do... but I'd recommend trying one meant to fit a holster and hold it's weight up... sometimes you get lucky with regular belts but not often.

Not to derail things, but I pocket carry a CM9 with a regular belt all the time without problems. I would use a gun belt for IWB though without a doubt.

I use two 5.11 carry belts, one leather and one nylonish one I don't care too much for. I tried a quality leather belt and it rolled over too much. Spend the $$ and get a good carry belt.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

No.

I use a Dickies work belt, it works just fine for IWB holsters, which is all I usually carry. Much less expensive than a "Gun" belt. But if I were carrying OWB, I'd want a better Gun belt.
    Tom
    Live today, tomorrow may not come!
    Boberg XR9S
    Kahr CW40
    Springfield Armory 1911
    Dan Wesson Revolver

HY*NDAI is to cars, what Caracal, Hi-Point, and Jennings is to handguns. The cars may or may not run ok, but the corporation SUCKS.

Yes, even IWB, if you carry a heavy piece, in my case a 1911. If a PM9 or similar, no, do not weigh enough to make a difference.
    NRA Benefactor

Absolutely, makes a TON of difference if you carry a decent sized pistol. It keeps the gun tight against you, so it doesn't feel like it's going to pull away from you and fall off. Helps with concealment, too.

I love the belts made by Looper Leather (Flashbang hoslter parent company) here in OKC. They are quality USA made belts, have kydex sewn in between the leather layers. I've bought 2 "Alcatraz" style belts in the last 5 years, and that's only because I lost weight had HAD to get a smaller one, it didn't wear out. Well worth the money.

http://flashbangstore.com/t/belts
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Sooner Born and Sooner Bred

Tom Givens (Rangemaster) - Certified Advanced Firearms Instructor
    NRA Certified Instructor

I stepped down in sizes of my Looper belts as I lost weight, going from 38" to 36" to 34". I bought a 32" as well, but I think that I was too optimistic with the smaller size, especially when I have to stuff a CrossBreed Minituck and my P40... or my G30S in the AG holster inside my pants and the belt! That smaller one will stay in the container. I just like to eat and drink too much and don't do anything to make my waist get smaller!

Wynn
    USAF Retired '88, NRA Life Member. Wife USAF Retired '96
    Avatar: Wynn re-enlists his wife Desiree, circa 1988 Loring AFB, ME. 42nd BMW, Heavy (SAC) B-52G's
    Frédéric Bastiat’s essay, The Law: http://mises.org/books/thelaw.pdf

Thomas Jefferson said

“A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have.”
    and

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".

It depends on what your carrying. For myself around 20 ounces is the cut off. If it's around that most any belt will work. Much over it will sag.

"Need" ?
    I carry in my pocket, so don't really need it but if not in dress slacks I like to wear a gun belt. Its more comfortable even with a light pistol.
    Rest in peace Muggsy

"Individual Muslims may show splendid qualities, but the influence of the religion paralyses the social development of those who follow it. No stronger retrograde force exists in the world." Winston Churchill 1899