Kahr Shop   Magnum Research new   Tommy Gun Shop   Crimsontrace
Page 3 of 23 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: MK9 G10 Grips

I'd probably buy a set

I don't understand why hogue isn't already doing it, they must have a program to cut the wood ones, I guess the demand just isn't there.

Sounds like a good idea for a Kickstarter campaign..?
    That's how the TangoDown lens covers/tube protector for the micro Aimpoints got done.

I finished the models for the MK9. I ordered 3 printed parts to test for fit and make sure I got the model correct. If somebody has an MK9 that they had to remove wood to fit the wood grips, that would be a good test for fit.

They should fit pretty well, since I modeled them after the plastic grips. Are there really more K9s out there than MK9s? Now that I have done the MK9, the K9 shouldn't take too long.

Quote Originally Posted by Alfonse View Post
    I finished the models for the MK9. I ordered 3 printed parts to test for fit and make sure I got the model correct. If somebody has an MK9 that they had to remove wood to fit the wood grips, that would be a good test for fit.

They should fit pretty well, since I modeled them after the plastic grips. Are there really more K9s out there than MK9s? Now that I have done the MK9, the K9 shouldn't take too long.
    This is really cool! So what's your plans for selling them? I'm sure interested. PM me if you need a guinea pig. I have the MK9 you described.
    ​O|||||||O

Quote Originally Posted by b4uqzme View Post
    This is really cool! So what's your plans for selling them? I'm sure interested. PM me if you need a guinea pig. I have the MK9 you described.
    You have one that requires some whittling? Great! In a week or so I should have some test fit parts. If they work without adjustments, I will pm you to get your address so you can try the fit also. The first ones are printed plastic, not machined G10. But, that is a great way to test them.

If there's an opportunity I might be interested in buying the final file to make my own if a 3 axis cnc router can make them.

Quote Originally Posted by Alfonse View Post
    You have one that requires some whittling? Great! In a week or so I should have some test fit parts. If they work without adjustments, I will pm you to get your address so you can try the fit also. The first ones are printed plastic, not machined G10. But, that is a great way to test them.
    That works for me. I will wait for your pm.
    ​O|||||||O

What do they look like?

Quote Originally Posted by Cokeman View Post
    What do they look like?
    Nothing yet, just a CAD image from what I understand. I guess maybe the 3D printed sample could be shown, but it's just for fitting and getting the final file correct for production.

Quote Originally Posted by Cokeman View Post
    What do they look like?
    I could use some feedback on that. They could be just machined smooth, in G10, which would still look textured due to the fiberglass matte in the G10.

I have a file with this texture as well, which has a bit more machine time but has golf ball like divots that would provide great grip without 90 degree edges that could snag:

The next one has milled slots that are something like 0.020" deep. I think the thinnest part of the "wall" between slots would be more fragile than the divots above, but G10 is pretty tough stuff and this is not as close as others I see for sale. I like easy to clean, and this one would be a bit harder than the first:

The next one just adds a big "K" in the middle.

I am still tweaking the fits, but some feedback on what folks might like to buy would be great. These are the same thickness as the stock, plastic grips. Even those are 1/2 thick, quite a bit thicker material wise than a 1911 or usual grips. However, it still looks like the cost should be feasible.

So, do any of those textures (or smooth) strike people's fancy? I could also texture part way up the grip, or use an even different texture like checkering. I don't expect a bunch of volume though, so doing more than one might not be practical.