CrossBreed Holsters   Magnum Research new   Tommy Gun Shop   Tommy Gun
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ammo in Kahrs: Is a Shorter OAL better?

Default Ammo in Kahrs: Is a Shorter OAL better?

I have both Gold Dots and HST in stock in 9mm 124g standard pressure flavor for all of my 9mm defense duty guns

What I noticed is that there's a visually noticeable difference in the overall length of the cartridges, where the Gold Dot ammo is longer than the HST (and these are same weight, same caliber rounds, and the HST has a larger cavity to boot, probably just seated deeper)

With the issues a few people have had with feeding in their Kahrs, would a shorter cartridge be preferable by being less prone to catching the feed ramp or hitting the slide release?

My cw45 is the only one that is length sensitive. It doesnt like Hornady critical defense.
    The only thing better than having all the guns and ammo you'd ever need would be being able to shoot it all off the back porch.

Want to see what will be the end of our country as we know it???
    Visit here:
    http://www.usdebtclock.org/

Going off topic a bit for my own thread, but I have a CW45 as well. I have both standard and +P 230grn 45acp HST. Turns out I shouldn't shoot +P in my M&P45, is the same true for the CW45?

My cw45 won't shoot long round nose bullets. Not because of the feed ramp, but because of the short throat. Some 230 grain bullets loaded to a length of 1.26 hit the rifling, causing failure to go into battery. I load them to 1.24" and problem goes away. That's with xtreme plated bullets, which have a blunter profile than most FMJs.

With my CM9, the limiting factor seems to be the magazine for oal. The only self defense ammo I've used in it is critical duty and critical defense. both worked great.

I'm surprised to hear yqtszhj has problems with critical defense in a CW45. I've found that both my Kahrs like the pointy bullets used in the critical duty/critical defense hornady ammo. I tried golden sabers in my cw45 when it was pretty new. They would hang up on the slide stop once in a while, so I stopped using them.

McE: the CW45 is rated for +p ammo according to my owners manual. Most people don't recommend a steady diet of +p loads though.

Thanks tony k. Thats what i was trying to say about mine but didnt provide enough detail.
    The only thing better than having all the guns and ammo you'd ever need would be being able to shoot it all off the back porch.

Want to see what will be the end of our country as we know it???
    Visit here:
    http://www.usdebtclock.org/

My P45, PM9 and 2 CM9s have not been ammo sensitive at all.
    Draw me not without provocation, sheath me not without honor.

I use the 147 gr. HST's in my MK, and they work well......................they are a bit shorter than the Fiocchi 115gr, which I have had a few problems with........................

Any ammo with an OAL that's longer than max won't fit in the magazine and won't feed properly. A case length that is too long will jamb in the forcing cone. Any bullet that is within SAAMI specs should work in your gun. If it is within specs and the rounds won't chamber properly the chamber is probably out of spec.
    Never trust anyone who doesn't trust you to own a gun.

Life Member - NRA
    Colt Gold Cup 70 series
    Colt Woodsman
    Ruger Mark III .22-45
    Kahr CM9
    Kahr P380

Quote Originally Posted by muggsy View Post
    Any ammo with an OAL that's longer than max won't fit in the magazine and won't feed properly. A case length that is too long will jamb in the forcing cone. Any bullet that is within SAAMI specs should work in your gun. If it is within specs and the rounds won't chamber properly the chamber is probably out of spec.
    hmm...I've shot somewhere between 1500 and 2000 rounds through my CW45. I should try some of my longer reloads (oal=1.26) to see if I still get Return to Battery Failures. If so, I'd say I have a short chamber.

For that matter, I should also retest the hydrashocks and gold dots that didn't work when I first got the gun. It's been back to the factory twice. First time for frame replacement; second time for broken trigger bar. With the new frame, it's a way better gun and some of the SD ammo that didn't work before might work now.

Hey! I just did the "plunk test" with some ammo ball ammo loaded to 1.26 oal. The CW45 passed, suggesting that I shouldn't have FTRTB issues I used to have.

For those of you who don't reload, the "plunk test" is a way to figure our the max oal you can use in a particular pistol. you remove the barrel from your pistol, hold the barrel vertically and drop a round in the chamber. The round should make a resounding "plunk" as the case mouth hits the forward end of the chamber. If the bullet hits the rifling you can tell because there's not "plunk" sound and the round sticks when you try to remove it.

I guess you could also use the plunk test to troubleshoot problems with factory ammo as well.